- Re-read Jasia Reichardt's Computer in Art for like 10th time. Slim 1971 book about computer graphics but with obvious musical application. #
- Obituary for Egyptian artist/musician Ahmed Basiony (1978-2011) with partial list of exhibits: http://j.mp/fjAyvg via @africancolours #jan25 #
- Morning sounds: cars, hard drive/fan, no birds, no planes, no bus; fridge asleep, like everyone else. #
- It's a relief when you compare a musician's work positively to Depeche Mode's and said musician doesn't want to kill you. #
- Malcolm Gladwell sets out to prove ideas by yoking together disconnected anecdotes. He must see Egypt as an anecdote that doesn't fit. #
- "@timprebble: thoroughly enjoyed stuck/skipping CD in bookstore just now – went on for 10min – perfect soundtrack" #eartwit #glitch #chance #
- "@LongplayerNow: Longplayer has been playing for 11 years 34 days 11 hours 57 minutes. http://j.mp/f6JLkY Sounding beautiful right now." #
- Genius: Steve Reich's "Clapping Music" as performed by Lee Marvin and (mostly) Angie Dickinson: http://youtu.be/BY4bL_bO8sA via @pheezy #
- Jon Bentley's Programming Pearls remix: abridged to one sentence from each of its 15 chapters http://j.mp/ghel1P by YubNub's @JonathanAquino #
- Is there a Firefox extension that will give me a mild but noticeable electric shock when I have more than 20 tabs open at once? #
- "@melchoir: Tyondai Braxton is gone right? idk if they'll sound as good" Likely won't. If it's just snarky mathrock I'll bail. [Re: Battles] #
- I need to remind myself that in most cases @[whoever] isn't tweeting too much; to the contrary, I may be reading too closely. #
- Battles: "new music coming soon." That's enough good news to get me through a hectic day: http://j.mp/eLJGZB #
- Alternate memorial page for slain Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony (1978-2011), with photos from Cairo protests: http://j.mp/h9xpx9 #
- NB to self: Don't install Ubuntu Netbook Edition while on deadline. Don't install Ubuntu Netbook Edition while on deadline. Don't install… #
- Maybe "John Barry" isn't really a specific composer, but merely a code name used by a long line of British secret-agent/composers. #
- Morning sounds: ice popping in coffee, typing, baby glossolalia, birds, bus/cars, laptop drive/fan, my thumb against a few days' facial hair #
- "@1000DIGIKI: http://is.gd/AmSzj9 soundcities" Thanks. I'll get to this sooner than to Tokyo. No sounds in my hood … yet. #
- Fbook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony who died during uprising: 1,059 followers, up from barely 100 12 hours ago http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- Every time I see James Blake, I think I'm looking at an early Steve Winwood. #
- "@johniwhitaker: That table is more of a Cy Twombly, no?" [Nice one. I agree.] Re: "unintentional Basquiat": http://ow.ly/i/7OGq #
- Image As Artifact of Sound: Spent fireworks outside restaurant Ton Kiang in San Francisco: http://ow.ly/i/7OGI #gunghayfatchoy #
- Unintentional Rauschenberg & Ryman are easy to come by. An unintentional Basquiat is special. Photo of discarded table: http://ow.ly/i/7OGq #
- Jurassic Park slodown: .5 mil listens in 20 days. When will unofficial song of summer be cloud-hosted phenom rather than commercial single? #
- â–º If you slow down Grieg you get Ligeti: http://j.mp/dMMbro #
- Yesterday was my kid's 1st library story-time event. One song involved imitating a clock. Definite overtones of Singularity indoctrination. #
- A second video of late Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, performing with Abou Asala and drummer http://vimeo.com/18570535 #
- Memorial Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, who died #Jan25 during uprising: http://j.mp/f3oOz2 Video, music, photos. #
- Anyone have a copy handy of Oji Suzuki's A Single Match, published by @dandq — I'm trying to recall who translated it into English. #
- â–º Audio of a mass of various vending-machine field-recording samples sewn together artfully by @bulldozia http://t.co/Y9o7pYb #
- Photo of unintentional Jeff Koons balloon-toy protest: http://ow.ly/i/7MFg #
- Just posted this in time for the noon bells, in memory of the late Ahmed Basiony: http://j.mp/fNhlMo Thanks, @stasisfield #
- I have a seven-month lead time for an article I'm working on. Maybe there is something good to be said of traditional book publishing. #
- RIP, Brian Rust (b. 1922), "Father of Modern Discography" (I'd like to know more about pre-modern discography.) http://j.mp/gaNAts #
- Following the White Stripes' announced disbandment, all 35,000 of Girl Talk's samples have decided to separate due to creative differences. #
- Seems odd the bold new Murdoch iPad newspaper is called The Daily. Weren't old newspapers daily? Aren't new ones Hourly? Minutely? Secondly? #
- RIP, Egyptian electronic musician Ahmed Basiony (b. 1978). Reportedly died 1/25 "tear gas asphyxiation" via @stasisfield http://j.mp/hUO29W #
- The later the hour, the less peaceful your neighbor's wind chimes. #
- Even if John Barry hadn't just died, the Bond guitar in The Mechanic would have been inappropriate. #
- "He seems to be listening carefully to the sound of a faraway power line." Oji Suzuki's A Single Match #
- Singers sharing guitar at happy-hour cafe gig must contend with a single bum string: mystery ingredient in an Iron Chef of Music episode. #
- Hookahs and hummus are gonna magically appear in this cafe if one more person starts reading about Egypt on a laptop. #
- I used to always read a fiction and non-fiction book simultaneously. Now it's a physical book and an ebook. #
- The 22nd + Bartlett siren in SF is indeed followed by Spanish (& English) alert. And if you're standing below, it's way loud. #
- Today: hunting for elusive Spanish-language Tuesday-noon siren/alert in San Francisco. Destination: 22nd and Bartlett. #
- Wobbly, Chris Cutler, Mark Fell among 2/2011 curators at http://ubu.com/ & Anna Ramos chose Paul De Marinis' "Eenie Meenie Chillie Beenie" #
- The fog horns are especially Barry White this morning. #
- Morning sounds: baby glossolalia, fog horns, hard drive/fan. #
- Anyone know what percentage of "tablets are killing laptops" stories were written on tablets? #
- Every time you report a spambot to Twitter, an angel gets its wings. #
- hyperbolic paraboloid:cluster::Iannis Xenakis:Cecil Taylor #
- Someone should leave voicemail every day for architect of Richmond District library redesign playing recording of 9th Ave door slamming. #
- Saw a flyer for a Sebadoh concert. Did actual double take and then checked my watch for the year. #
- â–º Browser-based "NYC MTA as composition" listening: http://www.mta.me/ Info: http://j.mp/ia7ZA9 #algorhythmic via @creativeapps #
- RIP, composer John Barry (b. 1933). "James Bond" may indeed be a codename assigned to British spies, but there will only be one John Barry. #
- It'd be interesting to look at newspapers that ran obituary for great Milton Babbitt and see when previous time was they ran article on him. #
- "William Gibson wrote Neuromancer on typewriter" story gets upgrade as he seeks toner cartridge for wife's PhD thesis tonight via Twitter. #
- Someday in the future, time will be compressed such that Bud Fisher & R. Crumb will be referred to as "you know, San Francisco cartoonists." #
- On this week's concert schedule: taking junior to "Baby Rhyme and Playtime" at the local library. #
- 6:00pm bells seem loud. Can only imagine what my ears would feel like were I standing directly below. I'm blocks away, the windows closed. #
- "@fibratus: The sound of big ben is perhaps one of the most doom laden E's of all time" #eartwit #
- â–º Jazz-based beatcraft instrumentals off 'Coffee House Swinger' by Boho Fau & Elevated Soul are simple but rich: http://j.mp/agF9DS #
- â–º Straight Outta Cairo: Ahmed Basiony live Egyptian drone video from 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRB_MpRcJ0 (thanks, @stasisfield) #
- DJ Premier on DJ Kool Herc's poor health situation http://bit.ly/i8svAq via @HipHopDX @primusluta #
- The http://bandcamp.com/tags page almost seems to say, "You probably don't want to use me to navigate this site." #
- "Give iPad this Valentine's Day." So your loved one will realize how shortsighted you are when the new one comes out shortly thereafter. #
- Morning sounds: fridge, TiVo drive, baby la-la singing to self (is "kindersprechgesang" a word?), whoosh of car wheels against wet street. #
- RIP, composer (electronic & otherwise) Milton Babbitt (b. 1916) http://j.mp/hBIP7r via @nicomuhly @rddy @sequenza21 #
- Two versions of Mark Isham's The Mechanic score in iTunes: 29-track: http://j.mp/gRpw7G 6-track: http://j.mp/f2muuK Each costs $9.99. Huh? #
- All the reviews I've read of The Mechanic seem to suggest that the reviewers wish that Gregg Araki had directed it. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
Jason Richardson: "Thanks for all the ideas and the wonderful community you’ve created. "
Patrick: "Hi Marc, I was looking at the RR-830, did you get the loops to play nonstop on it? Or did you find..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0367 / Trio Initiate / The Assignment: Record the first third of an eventual trio.
• 0366 / Ice Breaker / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0365 / 2018 Tracker / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0364 / Casting Drones / The Assignment: Use dice to determine your slowly shifting tones.
• 0363 / Gymnopédie Rats / The Assignment: Make over Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No. 1" in your chosen genre.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice