- The term "amauteur" is preferable to "prosumer." #
- "@brianpmoore: The leafblower is the banjo of Covington. #ctown quot; #eartwit (via @countrymarxist) #
- Morning sounds: heater, drizzle, hard drive/fan, fridge, distant car, cooing baby. #
- If you meet your hero in the record crates, kill him. #
- Facebook page of slain Egyptian electronic musician Ahmed Basiony who died during Jan uprising 188 followers shy of 8,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- Berkeley's Comic Relief has closed. Truly the end of an era. I made so many friends & learned so much from that place. http://j.mp/gbg8Qo #
- Wondering if Nintendo's hardware and software divisions have learned anything from Sony's Walkman and music divisions. #
- Noon Bells (Rain Drops & Lullaby Mix) #
- Just conducted an extended interview with Zimoun. Hope to have it posted in the near future. #sound #insects #motors #installation #
- Considering the [email protected] RTing/following, maybe someone out there can help me find the Jack Hawksmoor action figure I so want? #
- Apparently that last comment popped up on Twitter's home page between @khalidalkhalifa on Bahrain TV and @nickiminaj on herself #
- Pondering Alvin Lucier's "I Am Sitting in a Room" (1969) in our current era of re-tweeting. #
- Used to be Twitter went down and I'd wonder what snazzy new tech gadget had been leaked/announced. Now I wonder what country is on fire. #
- Lynch-ian has, for some time now, been the new Fellini-esque. #
- (To a tune by Reznor & Ross.) If you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- Man, the bots are out like Brooklyn roaches. #
- Evening sounds: breathing of sleeping wife and child, low-flying plane, slow-moving vehicle, bubbles in bottle of club soda. #
- "@vuzhmusic: @disquiet When I see the term 'unsigned' it seems pre-paradigm-shift" [Indeed. Someday: retro. For now: outmoded.] #
- RT @HurdAudio: Composers who should've written operas: Varese, Ives, Scelci, Nancarrow, Strayhorn #
- [email protected] Self-signed? #
- [email protected] You are post-signed? Resigned? #
- Remain amazed the word "unsigned," in regard to bands and solo acts, still has much currency. #
- When stock photography looks like a Ryoji Ikeda installation: http://j.mp/fDYIbO #
- When guys say they want John Cusack to play them in the movie, they don't usually mean the Cusack of 2012. #hail #
- Morning sounds: hail. #
- Evening sounds: two laptops and TiVo in one room. It's Whirstock. #
- Lovely take on Satie's Gnossienne No. 1: http://j.mp/eGzxmp Rafael Anton Irisarri & Goldmund make good on its proto-ambient nature. $1 #
- [email protected] Scary chart, but it should be titled "Death of the Record Industry," not "Death of the Music Industry." http://read.bi/g56efo #
- Sure, "lossless" is an attractive term when it comes to audio compression, but perhaps "lessloss" would be more accurate. #
- It's nice to see the Twitter spambots are working more during the week. Maybe they'll give themselves a deserved break on weekends. #
- Pondering difference between recorded music that is free and recorded music that costs $0. #
- Many thanks to Leela Corman — @LeelaOfNewYork — for drawing the Egyptian mizmar for my Twitter background. More info: http://j.mp/fzhLiu #
- Major thanks to Justin Orr for my current Twitter background image. Today's its last day. New monthly item will appear shortly. It's timely. #
- The more I play "All of Me" on my ukulele, the more I become convinced it has my favorite chord changes. #
- Morning sounds: kid practicing raspberries, cars making traction on rain-soaked pavement, kalimba-like thrum of neighbor's radio, #
- Hoping to make it to the winter concert at CCRMA this Thursday night. #
- Crazy windy outside. How windy? The way wind sounds in a movie when you're like, "The director really wants us to notice it's really windy." #
- Returned several pounds of comics to the library. By which I mean two Dash Shaw books. #
- Consistent cellphone rings have turned public sonic life into a Hans Zimmer soundtrack, even without the Inception app. #
- Tuesday noon siren, filtered through Spanish-language broadcast of soccer game. #secondhandsports #
- Finally managed to summarize, if briefly, what I love about my favorite track of 2010: http://ow.ly/3WPvf #viola #gadget #wall e #oubapo #
- Can't wait til Gladwell says, "Oh, Twitter! You mean Twitter? Oh totally. Yeah, I was talking about something else entirely. What a mix-up." #
- â–º The virtual quotidian: Guy Birkin recreates the sonic experience of rain dripping on one's hat brim http://soundcloud.com/notl/rain-on-hat #
- Great Moments in TV Scores: In Chicago Code debut, composer Robert Duncan's name appears in credits as canned blues song appears on radio. #
- Steampunk = plugging laptop into cafe's ancient electrical outlet connected via Edison-era piping into murky hole in wall. #
- Morning sounds: cars on rainy street, neighbors bringing in garbage pails, baby spinning wooden toy, computer drive/fan, neighbor's radio. #
- More new cicada-based music, this time from Novi_sad on the Sub Rosa label: http://novi-sad.net/releases/inhumane-humans/ #
- Congrats Christopher Tin for winning the 1st Grammy for music for video game. That the song & game are 5 years old is for Grammy to explain #
- Afternoon Trio for Washer, Dryer, and Neighbor's Construction Work #
- RT @mapmap: The celling at the delta terminal looks like a monome. http://yfrog.com/h46o2idj #
- Excellent: @mapmap + @taylordeupree share a bit of their recent duo recording project: "3 minutes out of 60+ unedited." http://bit.ly/eo8hZt #
- â–º Download Giorno Poetry discography; includes my fave Philip Glass track: http://j.mp/gyQU5B (+ WSB, PsychTV, Cage) via @gacougnol @ubuweb #
- Sound art, circa 1912-1914: the cardboard and sheet metal sculptures of guitars by Pablo Picasso: http://j.mp/gdkr6m #
- A superior organic-based generative music system: five-month-old playing with dangling chimes. #
- Was the WSJ's investment in The Daily simply an expensive ploy to supplant the New York Times in all those iPad ads? #
- Nice to see @nytimes cover live MPC playing: http://ow.ly/1s2s1B #
- The cicada is nature's vuvuzela. #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during January uprising, now 190 followers shy of 7,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #jan25 #
- Given the state of record sales these days it's almost as if all record labels are indie labels. Some just have significantly more overhead. #
- Sun's out. Birds seem appreciative, sound as if the one on the cover of the recent Oval album decided to front its own glitch project. #
- If you lost your Santa Monica, it landed in my Richmond District. #
- Great Intl Film Music Critics Assn list of 2010 music-for-moving-images: nods to Grönemeyer, games, TV http://bit.ly/eaP8xs via @nobuooo #
- Anyone in San Francisco have a positive experience with Virgin Mobile? #
- Don't think of it as a diary. Think of it as Tweets Not Sent. #
- Morning sounds: post-feeding baby gurgles, occasional car, netbook whir, typing. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.