- Long day, but a productive one, in between tsunami-gazing. Time for a walk to the ocean. #
- Looking at screenshots of screenshot-capture applications. #
- A "radiophonic exploration and impressionistic interpretation" of "superior canal dehiscence syndrome" http://j.mp/fXypO3 via @theunobserved #
- Disaster-preparedness comics drawn by David Lasky: http://j.mp/dQiG2L #japan #tsunami #72hours #
- Today's probably not a good day to go to the Apple store to ask the Genius-bartenders for advice about my iPod Touch's charging issues. #
- Just Blaze show tonite in SF at 103 Harriet: 100% proceeds (tix + bar) -> Japanese tsunami relief http://justblaze103harriet.eventbrite.com #
- Plan: Get ton of work done. Then read scathing reviews of Battle: Los Angeles to sufficiently lower expectations, so as to ensure enjoyment. #
- Watching Today on NBC for news of Tsunami; instead see report of murder, with recreations and eerie music. The news shouldn't have a score. #
- All thoughts with Japan. #
- The term "drone" is like a sausage wrapper, lending a sense of uniformity to what is, in fact, often a chaotic mix of constituent parts. #
- Apparently someone requested Missing Persons' "Walking in L.A." @beatlist #democracy #
- [email protected]_Jenius Yeah, a not dissimilar inspiration, @JelliNoise and @beatlist — reminds me of the Box. I loved that cable channel. #
- Cafe I'm in uses this software ( http://bit.ly/gRc2Sw ) so customers can collectively select songs to be played over house stereo. #
- Film of Red Dead Redemption should be interactive to extent that plot stalls until everyone in theater can break horse properly. #
- It's so beautifully clear out, why not listen to this @wcraghead recording of rain, birds, and an umbrella? http://bit.ly/hrbmyC #
- Regarding sonification of Firefox .exe file: the layers in the waveform look unusual for @soundcloud. http://j.mp/eeRmG5 (MS Paint, less so) #
- Evening sounds: hard drive, washer, dryer, dishwasher, recordings of sparse piano, hard drive/fan, garage door. #
- So many PR emails these days mention 7" releases, I've come to where I don't believe half of them exist — as if 7" just means "single." #
- RIP, Kodansha International; so many books on my shelf, in my teens and 20s, had that K on the spine. #koboabe #murakami http://j.mp/gVC7pS #
- RT @stasisfield Extensive biography of Ahmed Basiony, Egyptian artist killed during the recent revolution: http://bit.ly/fZF3AB #
- First Tues in long time haven't heard San Francisco noon siren. Earbuds? Cafe radio? Chatter? Proximity? AOTAC (all of the above, combined)? #
- Sounds after midnight: TV doing its post-use creak, kitchen fluorescent bulb buzzing lightly, bus evidencing sudden decision to obey stop. #
- Falling back in love with the geometry of chord progressions. #ukulele #harmony #
- "squeaker keeps baby amused and stimulates … hearing" — meet Sophie, a consistent part of my domestic soundscape: http://j.mp/gUTbQ0 #
- Depending on when trash is picked up, the beeping & grinding mean different things. Mondays it's a weekly reminder of reentry into society. #
- That intermittent beeping means granola is slowly becoming granola in the oven. Raisins wait patiently on the kitchen counter top. #
- Apparently the best way to get better sound out of my netbook is to use Tivo to stream MP3s to my living room stereo. #overkill #butnice #
- "@maxrichtermusic: on way to studio heard a tenor somewhere practicing only high As. Coming back an hour later – still going." #eartwit #
- "@compactrobot: perhaps if it came in bright red, like the Olivetti Valentine." [Yeah, Olivetti plastic red, not Ferrari fiberglass red.] #
- Another step in burgeoning computer-typewriter romance: Olivetti debuts tablet. Will it include canned typing noise? http://j.mp/hPZA4W #
- Last night I pondered clackety interactive soundtracks to word processors: http://j.mp/f3UTqJ. Today learned about http://usbtypewriter.com/ #
- Mistakenly thought a reflection on my pen meant it was alerting me to an incoming message. It did: "Too many gadgets." #
- RIP, Brian Barritt (b. 1934), author, psychedelic explorer, Youth collaborator, kosmiche participant: http://j.mp/hThDZN http://j.mp/i5K5Ya #
- Noted that TightVNC misspells"authentication" in its startup window. Wondering how poor spelling correlates with security precautions. #
- "They didn't like to use that word because in Russian 'dada' means 'yes yes,' contradicting their nihilism." #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice