- Thanks, @tobiasreber The epic fail of 1965 Cage/Bernstein event is all I ever read about. I'd like more on the event itself. @geetadayal #
- [email protected] Like to know more about 50-channel mixer Matthews made for the 1965 Bernstein/NYPhil production of Cage's Atlas Eclipticalis. #
- RT @soundscrapers Reviewing a set of mechanical drawings today, i came across something called an elbow silencer. #
- Loving the word "co-belligerent" on WWII memorial in Golden Gate Park. #
- Fresh from a visit to the Academy of Sciences, where the intense HVAC gives voice to all the resident sea creatures. #
- This is the "before" of the One AM Radio track remixed by Prefuse 73: http://t.co/cdc3boO #
- Foghorn sounds like Odin set his cellphone on vibrate. #
- Free Prefuse 73 remix of One AM Radio http://bit.ly/eotQRi via @rcrdlbl I don't hear the #folk tag but he crunches their dreampop splendidly #
- Sounds after midnight: light electronic buzz, night bus, car running stop sign, TV creaking as it cools. #
- Nice when you start a new blog, and the first comment is helpful, informative, snarkless. http://typelesswriter.com/ #ipad #writing #postpc #
- Charles Ives per chance: http://snd.sc/iaQYj1 Field recording of two school bands practicing simultaneously, by @markrushtoncom #
- Reminder, if you do the #facebook there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- WonderCon's in San Francisco this weekend. I won't make it, but do track down Gustavo Alberto Garcia Vaca's E.A. Poe lit-remix project. #
- Excellent stuff at CCRMA/Stanford this Sat, April 2: Trimpin, Wobbly, Sutekh, more. http://j.mp/fTSQvx Wish I could make it. #
- #madcomposer RT @DJ_Moderne When I saw AMC was trending I thought it was because of the American Music Center/Meet the Composer merger LOL! #
- Noon test alarm in San Francisco, right on schedule, the post-siren voice like a neighbor ordering lunch delivery. #
- May the cloud-storage price wars now begin! #
- So, the deal with Amazon Cloud Player is we get an extra 15gb if we buy one album. But in a year we'll need to pay for that space, right? #
- "This event has been reviewed by a seismologist." #
- Gonna be much politician-style backpeddling re: the "you're outta luck" Apple/AmazonCloud coverage, but if a song streams, it streams. #
- How to play MP3s on iPad from Amazon Cloud Player: click box next to song, select "download," say "no" to manager. Browser streams song. #
- Now streaming a song from Amazon's Cloud Player to my iPad. Why have so many articles I've read this morning said this isn't possible? #
- RT @Chris_Randall I mentally replace "cloud" with "FTP site with a snazzy front end, and a strict limit on file types." #
- It's unfortunate how @goodreads lists graphic novels solely by the writer. #
- A night bus passes, its rattle heard several blocks in advance of its passing, and it moves as quickly as it is empty. #
- Listened to the instrumental of Common's "Cold Blooded" on repeat for an hour straight again today. #
- Outside is like the @newyorker back page, each lyric fragment of each passing car radio striving to caption the insanely beautiful afternoon #
- Me: "Anything sound-art-ish going on in Las Vegas currently?" @compactrobot: "Have you ever heard a casino?" #
- Anything sound-art-ish going on in Las Vegas currently? #
- Much more interested in moiré patterns than in diptychs. #
- Thanks to iPad-using novelist @Richard_Kadrey for his guest entry on my fledgling http://typelesswriter.com/ blog: http://j.mp/ifgqgN #
- Can you "write" on an iPad? There's a blog for that: http://typelesswriter.com #
- Listened to instrumental of Common's "Cold Blooded" on repeat for last hour. #
- Morning sounds: baby yawns, birds out front, fluorescent bulb drone, hard drive (TiVo), car. #
- "@ntabebe Holding roll of noiseless packing tape. I cannot be alone in thinking the noise is most satisfying part of packing tape." #eartwit #
- The radio plays @cartalk as I tend to chores around the house. The show is an encyclopedia of emotionally fraught automotive onomatopoeia. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
Jason Richardson: "Thanks for all the ideas and the wonderful community you’ve created. "
Patrick: "Hi Marc, I was looking at the RR-830, did you get the loops to play nonstop on it? Or did you find..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0367 / Trio Initiate / The Assignment: Record the first third of an eventual trio.
• 0366 / Ice Breaker / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0365 / 2018 Tracker / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0364 / Casting Drones / The Assignment: Use dice to determine your slowly shifting tones.
• 0363 / Gymnopédie Rats / The Assignment: Make over Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No. 1" in your chosen genre.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice