- Thanks, @tobiasreber The epic fail of 1965 Cage/Bernstein event is all I ever read about. I'd like more on the event itself. @geetadayal #
- [email protected] Like to know more about 50-channel mixer Matthews made for the 1965 Bernstein/NYPhil production of Cage's Atlas Eclipticalis. #
- RT @soundscrapers Reviewing a set of mechanical drawings today, i came across something called an elbow silencer. #
- Loving the word "co-belligerent" on WWII memorial in Golden Gate Park. #
- Fresh from a visit to the Academy of Sciences, where the intense HVAC gives voice to all the resident sea creatures. #
- This is the "before" of the One AM Radio track remixed by Prefuse 73: http://t.co/cdc3boO #
- Foghorn sounds like Odin set his cellphone on vibrate. #
- Free Prefuse 73 remix of One AM Radio http://bit.ly/eotQRi via @rcrdlbl I don't hear the #folk tag but he crunches their dreampop splendidly #
- Sounds after midnight: light electronic buzz, night bus, car running stop sign, TV creaking as it cools. #
- Nice when you start a new blog, and the first comment is helpful, informative, snarkless. http://typelesswriter.com/ #ipad #writing #postpc #
- Charles Ives per chance: http://snd.sc/iaQYj1 Field recording of two school bands practicing simultaneously, by @markrushtoncom #
- Reminder, if you do the #facebook there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- WonderCon's in San Francisco this weekend. I won't make it, but do track down Gustavo Alberto Garcia Vaca's E.A. Poe lit-remix project. #
- Excellent stuff at CCRMA/Stanford this Sat, April 2: Trimpin, Wobbly, Sutekh, more. http://j.mp/fTSQvx Wish I could make it. #
- #madcomposer RT @DJ_Moderne When I saw AMC was trending I thought it was because of the American Music Center/Meet the Composer merger LOL! #
- Noon test alarm in San Francisco, right on schedule, the post-siren voice like a neighbor ordering lunch delivery. #
- May the cloud-storage price wars now begin! #
- So, the deal with Amazon Cloud Player is we get an extra 15gb if we buy one album. But in a year we'll need to pay for that space, right? #
- "This event has been reviewed by a seismologist." #
- Gonna be much politician-style backpeddling re: the "you're outta luck" Apple/AmazonCloud coverage, but if a song streams, it streams. #
- How to play MP3s on iPad from Amazon Cloud Player: click box next to song, select "download," say "no" to manager. Browser streams song. #
- Now streaming a song from Amazon's Cloud Player to my iPad. Why have so many articles I've read this morning said this isn't possible? #
- RT @Chris_Randall I mentally replace "cloud" with "FTP site with a snazzy front end, and a strict limit on file types." #
- It's unfortunate how @goodreads lists graphic novels solely by the writer. #
- A night bus passes, its rattle heard several blocks in advance of its passing, and it moves as quickly as it is empty. #
- Listened to the instrumental of Common's "Cold Blooded" on repeat for an hour straight again today. #
- Outside is like the @newyorker back page, each lyric fragment of each passing car radio striving to caption the insanely beautiful afternoon #
- Me: "Anything sound-art-ish going on in Las Vegas currently?" @compactrobot: "Have you ever heard a casino?" #
- Anything sound-art-ish going on in Las Vegas currently? #
- Much more interested in moiré patterns than in diptychs. #
- Thanks to iPad-using novelist @Richard_Kadrey for his guest entry on my fledgling http://typelesswriter.com/ blog: http://j.mp/ifgqgN #
- Can you "write" on an iPad? There's a blog for that: http://typelesswriter.com #
- Listened to instrumental of Common's "Cold Blooded" on repeat for last hour. #
- Morning sounds: baby yawns, birds out front, fluorescent bulb drone, hard drive (TiVo), car. #
- "@ntabebe Holding roll of noiseless packing tape. I cannot be alone in thinking the noise is most satisfying part of packing tape." #eartwit #
- The radio plays @cartalk as I tend to chores around the house. The show is an encyclopedia of emotionally fraught automotive onomatopoeia. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• I pondered the word "orchestral" in my liner notes for the excellent new album Uprooted from Rotterdam-based Michel Banabila, released April 9, 2019.
• I had the great pleasure of being interviewed by Darwin Grosse for his excellent, longrunning podcast, Art + Music + Technology, and the episode went live on April 7, 2019: artmusictech.libsyn.com.
• I gave the opening talk on March 22, 2019, at the inaugural Algorithmic Art Assembly in San Francisco. I'll post a summary here soon, but for the time being, there's a great overview of the event at the website of cycling74.com, written by Tom Hall.
• I was on Vivian Host's Peak Time show (on Red Bull Radio) on March 11 to extol the timeless virtues of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II, and related works. You can listen to a recording here: redbullradio.com.
• June 23, 2019: There's a Disquiet Junto concert this Sunday at 8pm at Cabaret Berlin in Montréal, Quebec.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• March 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0393 / Mix Master / The Assignment: Make a new composition from your favorite parts of three of your previous recordings.
• 0392 / Another Country / The Assignment: Compose the national anthem for a fictional country.
• 0391 / Front Page / The Assignment: Make music that fills in where the news trails off.
• 0390 / Pace Quickens / The Assignment: Take an old song (or field recording), and make it faster, and then add something.
• 0389 / Long Then / The Assignment: Take an old song, and make it (much) slower, and add something.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 393 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
Darwin Grosse: "I use random words – responding at the appropriate time with nonsensical words. “French..."
Mim: "This is a very helpful post coming at the right time for me. Thank you. "
Marta: "I’ve continued to blog, but my posts are sporadic because I’ve felt discouraged about it. Thanks..."
jmmy kppl: "it’s lightning, leaking from a telephone, rotated 90° "
Neera Mahajan: "Thankyou for giving words to what I have been thinking all along. Relatively new to blogging, I am..."