- So, @rcrdlbl now requires registration to access free downloads. Perfectly valid, but giving away personal information doesn't equal "free." #
- If you want a sonically conscious (and poppy, in the Hollywood sense, not the musical sense) thriller, you could do worse than Hanna. #
- Very excited about the "DIY Musical Instrument Tailgate Party with special guest Trimpin" this weekend at CCRMA/Stanford. #
- Read several fairly prominent reviews of Hanna that don't even mention the Chemical Brothers score. Perhaps that's to the band's credit? #
- Glistening, lightly percussive ambient track built from ukulele (and mandolin)? Yes, thank you: http://t.co/ULqAAwS by Seth Chrisman #
- Misread the Hanna advertisement as "Adopt or die." #
- RT @falsereactions @communikey Radere featured in this special article from Marc Weidenbaum http://fb.me/WGC4Uyei @csindependent @billforman #
- RIP, lounge composer and pianist Johnny Pearson (b. 1925): http://j.mp/hgdpv5 #
- My neighborhood, but not my car or my handwriting: http://ow.ly/i/a2Az #
- Wondering if the dropped Grammy categories will open up room for gaming and/or interactive award: http://reut.rs/gWBFiC #
- Vicarious commute. RT @pheezy The only way to fly. RT @shoister commuting on a bus listening to field recording of commuting on a train #
- After a week away, welcomed back to home by its familiar sounds: fridge, Tivo drive, heater, passing cars … #
- New SSD tucked inside ukulele case for drive home. #
- The Fry's in Sacramento is on a street named Tandy. #
- Waking on the outskirts of Sacramento to the sounds of a passing train. #
- Spent evening with friend whose adorable young kid was born in LA. Memorable kid comment: "I don't like helicopters." #
- I5 and 4G don't mutually compute. #datadustbowl #
- Tweeting about Tokyo art exhibits while deep in the Nevada desert. #
- Relieved to receive email announcements about new Tokyo art exhibits, even if some are presumably automated in advance. #
- Hotel symphony: HVAC, fans, vacuum cleaners, muffled televisions, passing airplane. #
- The hotel phone has a clearly marked "dataport." #
- Semisonic's "Closing Time" playing at 24-hour McDonald's. #
- Talking Heads' "Naive Melody" playing in massive underground parking structure. #
- Mistakenly thought Assouline's Music Game Book was about music games. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments