- Morning sounds: baby rattle, hard drive, fan, typing, electric toothbrush (aka salle-de-bain didgeridoo). #
- My iTunes email alert for this week: John Cage and Royce da 5'9". Not bad. #sentience #algorithmic #curation #
- It's exciting, and exciting in part because it is rare, to hear live gadget/laptop music that doesn't end on a slow fadeout. #
- Present & accounted for. RT @_TheLab_ Tonight: Wobbly, Robert Piotrowicz (Poland), Ensemble Economique, Thomas Carnacki http://bit.ly/hLOcr1 #
- Mariachi thumbing his bass, its sound almost inaudible amid din of chatter and drone of HVAC, in a Mission taqueria. #
- Fave track of the week: "Lost Words" off John Zorn's Nova Express (Medeski, Wollesen, Dunn, Baron) #
- Date-in-favicon for Google Cal is so useful, I wonder re: favicon/titlebar-only sites: temp, time, financial data, countdown timer. #
- My pleasure. RT @thetheradius Thanks to @disquiet for posting detailed reviews of Episode 04: Art of Failure & Episode 05: C.R. Casprzyk #
- Afernoon drones: 5-track stream at http://tomvourtsis.bandcamp.com/album/mothhunting by @tomacropolis #
- RT @lhalff Only way to avoid cell phones in @UnitedAirlines Red Carpet Club is to sit in small, dirty, fluorescent lit "cell phone booth." #
- It's Earth Day, so please find some discarded music and remix it. #
- That someone prominent can be a victim makes mind reel. RT @stevesilberman Dissident artist Ai Weiwei "pleads guilty" after torture in China #
- Morning sounds: cars, shower, typing, hard drive, fan, my 7-month-old vociferously practicing her raspberries. #developmentalmilestone #
- Have some respect for Twitterbots that dare ply their trade during sunlight hours (at least in Twitter's home town) midweek. #
- If I get nothing done this afternoon, I blame @cobra_mike #
- What he said. RT @the_eco_thought @disquiet yes; to me drum and bass was south London folk music #
- music that challenges various notions of folk, notably the one that hears folk as an entrenched, pre-digital realm #
- RIP, compsci trailblazer Max Matthews (b. 1926). I saw him speak once, several years back, at a CCRMA old-school panel. #
- My doorbell needs an on/off switch, or at least a dimmer. #sleepingbaby #
- The publicist model may be more broken than the record-label model. #
- RIP, Ray Smith (b. 1934), owner of influential record store http://goo.gl/ADPrO ("shop's stock ranged 'from George Lewis to George Lewis'") #
- Thnx. Likely new Disquiet motto. RT @countrymarxist Like it. RT @disquiet: Listening to art, playing with music, sounding out technology. #
- Ah, that's what typing on an iPad sounds like: raindrops. #
- Listening to art, playing with music, sounding out technology. #
- RIP, Aldo Clementi (b.1925), "last survivor of great generation of Italian postwar musical avant-gardists" http://goo.gl/2JJzV #
- Mission accepted. RT @primusluta Listen three times. [Re: forthcoming Prefuse 73.] #
- Want to politely excuse yourself from phone survey? Say you'll participate if told you who's funding it. Bonus points: anxious pause. #
- All other listening on hold. Just got Prefuse 73 advance. #
- Mid-morning sounds (rear to front): washing machine, hard drive, fan, typing. #
- Thanks muchly. RT @cdmblogs Speaking of Eno, here's Bang on a Can on their Music for Airports transcription. #
- The #netlabel list by @dpnem includes @twitter and RSS links for each label: http://www.actsofsilence.com/netlabels/ #
- RT @Richmond_SFPD 4/[email protected] Perp cut MUNI overhead line at Fulton btwn 11/12th Avenues, fled with 100’ copper wire #sfmeetsthewire #
- People, Ben freaking Katchor is a-Twitter @benkatchor: 1890s theater seating, 1830s firefighting tools, & comics! #followeveryday #
- Many thanks to illustrator @owenfreeman for my original Twitter background drawing this month. More on him at http://goo.gl/ZEZdE #
- My pleasure. RT @boondesign Lovely post by @disquiet about @salvagione installation at Headlands this past Sunday. http://bit.ly/gBbqPC #
- T-Mobile texted me that I've passed the 5GB threshold for the month. No merit badge, just a data-speed reduction. #
- Tues noon siren in San Francisco, off Clement Street at 10th Ave. Voice more distinct, intelligible than at other locations. #
- Morning sounds: Fist fights breaking out at funeral across street from cafe. #
- [email protected] Thanks, man. Yeah, Creative License high on my reading list. Glad it addresses pre-pop collage & proposes legislative change. #
- Is there a list of @soundcloud URL hacks, for filtering by, say, downloadable-tracks-only, and so forth? #
- If insanity were airborne, this cafe would be under @CDC_eHealth control. #
- Day with non-noise-cancelling earbuds turned cafe into personal @robinrimbaud work, version of @idontlikewords' http://youarelistening.to/ #
- Dropbox is so ridiculously useful, it makes me imagine some day a piece of popular commercial software that is only an API. #
- Glass window at Royal Grounds on Geary shook like heck. RT @footage Perhaps today's quake was an augmented reality reconstruction of 1906 #
- Recounting writing. Transcribing talking. Planning planning. #
- RT @grumy Je lisais http://bit.ly/hcJ0ZQ et je me disais que Ã§a serait cool, de faire un netlabel. (Mais en fait, je n'y connais rien.) #
- Goodnight foghorns. Goodnight bus. Goodnight noises everywhere. #
- Finishing Hogan's Spiral Jetta in bed. Phone remembers for me what Magritte's Time Transfixed looks like. How much has changed in a decade. #
- Drop by http://goo.gl/73uLX tomorrow at the Headlands. Check out Paolo Salvagione's installation, for which I wrote a little essay. #
- Belated RIP, Sidney Harman (b. 1918), the former half of Harman Kardon. http://goo.gl/jtYE4 #
- "@dpnem Or August 8th …. 8/08?" [Nice one. Proposed dates for Netlabel Day.] #
- [email protected] @dpnem I wonder what day Netlabel Day would be. Perhaps June 3, the birthday of Lawrence Lessig of Creative Commons? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice