- Morning sounds: baby rattle, hard drive, fan, typing, electric toothbrush (aka salle-de-bain didgeridoo). #
- My iTunes email alert for this week: John Cage and Royce da 5'9". Not bad. #sentience #algorithmic #curation #
- It's exciting, and exciting in part because it is rare, to hear live gadget/laptop music that doesn't end on a slow fadeout. #
- Present & accounted for. RT @_TheLab_ Tonight: Wobbly, Robert Piotrowicz (Poland), Ensemble Economique, Thomas Carnacki http://bit.ly/hLOcr1 #
- Mariachi thumbing his bass, its sound almost inaudible amid din of chatter and drone of HVAC, in a Mission taqueria. #
- Fave track of the week: "Lost Words" off John Zorn's Nova Express (Medeski, Wollesen, Dunn, Baron) #
- Date-in-favicon for Google Cal is so useful, I wonder re: favicon/titlebar-only sites: temp, time, financial data, countdown timer. #
- My pleasure. RT @thetheradius Thanks to @disquiet for posting detailed reviews of Episode 04: Art of Failure & Episode 05: C.R. Casprzyk #
- Afernoon drones: 5-track stream at http://tomvourtsis.bandcamp.com/album/mothhunting by @tomacropolis #
- RT @lhalff Only way to avoid cell phones in @UnitedAirlines Red Carpet Club is to sit in small, dirty, fluorescent lit "cell phone booth." #
- It's Earth Day, so please find some discarded music and remix it. #
- That someone prominent can be a victim makes mind reel. RT @stevesilberman Dissident artist Ai Weiwei "pleads guilty" after torture in China #
- Morning sounds: cars, shower, typing, hard drive, fan, my 7-month-old vociferously practicing her raspberries. #developmentalmilestone #
- Have some respect for Twitterbots that dare ply their trade during sunlight hours (at least in Twitter's home town) midweek. #
- If I get nothing done this afternoon, I blame @cobra_mike #
- What he said. RT @the_eco_thought @disquiet yes; to me drum and bass was south London folk music #
- music that challenges various notions of folk, notably the one that hears folk as an entrenched, pre-digital realm #
- RIP, compsci trailblazer Max Matthews (b. 1926). I saw him speak once, several years back, at a CCRMA old-school panel. #
- My doorbell needs an on/off switch, or at least a dimmer. #sleepingbaby #
- The publicist model may be more broken than the record-label model. #
- RIP, Ray Smith (b. 1934), owner of influential record store http://goo.gl/ADPrO ("shop's stock ranged 'from George Lewis to George Lewis'") #
- Thnx. Likely new Disquiet motto. RT @countrymarxist Like it. RT @disquiet: Listening to art, playing with music, sounding out technology. #
- Ah, that's what typing on an iPad sounds like: raindrops. #
- Listening to art, playing with music, sounding out technology. #
- RIP, Aldo Clementi (b.1925), "last survivor of great generation of Italian postwar musical avant-gardists" http://goo.gl/2JJzV #
- Mission accepted. RT @primusluta Listen three times. [Re: forthcoming Prefuse 73.] #
- Want to politely excuse yourself from phone survey? Say you'll participate if told you who's funding it. Bonus points: anxious pause. #
- All other listening on hold. Just got Prefuse 73 advance. #
- Mid-morning sounds (rear to front): washing machine, hard drive, fan, typing. #
- Thanks muchly. RT @cdmblogs Speaking of Eno, here's Bang on a Can on their Music for Airports transcription. #
- The #netlabel list by @dpnem includes @twitter and RSS links for each label: http://www.actsofsilence.com/netlabels/ #
- RT @Richmond_SFPD 4/[email protected] Perp cut MUNI overhead line at Fulton btwn 11/12th Avenues, fled with 100’ copper wire #sfmeetsthewire #
- People, Ben freaking Katchor is a-Twitter @benkatchor: 1890s theater seating, 1830s firefighting tools, & comics! #followeveryday #
- Many thanks to illustrator @owenfreeman for my original Twitter background drawing this month. More on him at http://goo.gl/ZEZdE #
- My pleasure. RT @boondesign Lovely post by @disquiet about @salvagione installation at Headlands this past Sunday. http://bit.ly/gBbqPC #
- T-Mobile texted me that I've passed the 5GB threshold for the month. No merit badge, just a data-speed reduction. #
- Tues noon siren in San Francisco, off Clement Street at 10th Ave. Voice more distinct, intelligible than at other locations. #
- Morning sounds: Fist fights breaking out at funeral across street from cafe. #
- [email protected] Thanks, man. Yeah, Creative License high on my reading list. Glad it addresses pre-pop collage & proposes legislative change. #
- Is there a list of @soundcloud URL hacks, for filtering by, say, downloadable-tracks-only, and so forth? #
- If insanity were airborne, this cafe would be under @CDC_eHealth control. #
- Day with non-noise-cancelling earbuds turned cafe into personal @robinrimbaud work, version of @idontlikewords' http://youarelistening.to/ #
- Dropbox is so ridiculously useful, it makes me imagine some day a piece of popular commercial software that is only an API. #
- Glass window at Royal Grounds on Geary shook like heck. RT @footage Perhaps today's quake was an augmented reality reconstruction of 1906 #
- Recounting writing. Transcribing talking. Planning planning. #
- RT @grumy Je lisais http://bit.ly/hcJ0ZQ et je me disais que Ã§a serait cool, de faire un netlabel. (Mais en fait, je n'y connais rien.) #
- Goodnight foghorns. Goodnight bus. Goodnight noises everywhere. #
- Finishing Hogan's Spiral Jetta in bed. Phone remembers for me what Magritte's Time Transfixed looks like. How much has changed in a decade. #
- Drop by http://goo.gl/73uLX tomorrow at the Headlands. Check out Paolo Salvagione's installation, for which I wrote a little essay. #
- Belated RIP, Sidney Harman (b. 1918), the former half of Harman Kardon. http://goo.gl/jtYE4 #
- "@dpnem Or August 8th …. 8/08?" [Nice one. Proposed dates for Netlabel Day.] #
- [email protected] @dpnem I wonder what day Netlabel Day would be. Perhaps June 3, the birthday of Lawrence Lessig of Creative Commons? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0490 / In Conversation / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured like dialog.
• 0489 / The Prestige / The Assignment: Apply some magic to ABA form.
• 0488 / Reverse Delay / The Assignment: Do something you've been putting off.
• 0487 / Carillon Quotidian / The Assignment: Turn a recurring sound from your life into music.
• 0486 / Earths Days / The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 490 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments