- Evening loop: lovely one-minute "Piano Phase" http://t.co/gCjStBf #
- This tweet made me very happy: “@FourTet: the lights on the monome don't do anything when I use it like this.”#
- Indeed, resurrect Team Resurrection. “@gregdavismusic: @kanyewest team of No I.D. and Common (Sense) is/was a match made in hip hop heaven.”#
- Something poetic to hear Idris Elba, of the Dickensian HBO series The Wire, quote Faulkner in his native British on Luther. #
- Afternoon sounds: chirping bird and a peculiarly effervescent can of club soda. #
- Those who dismiss/explain/kinda-praise Common as "bland" just play into same angry-rapper stereotype as his politically motivated attackers. #
- Gotta feel for Common. His defenders end up demeaning him by emphasizing his conscientiousness as a kind of wan weakness. #
- Glad to hear that the @NodeBeat generative audio-game will add recording/exporting in the next update. #
- Nice, brief moment of rock feedback in progress. “@cobra_mike: Recording feedback for a new @kinglosescrown track http://t.co/qC4n5kd” #
- RIP, Skatalites drummer and dub pioneer Lloyd Knibb (b. 1931) http://goo.gl/T199I #
- Word's spreading that Skatalites drummer & dub pioneer Lloyd Knibb passed away. Anyone see official confirmation on this? #
- Source Code was first movie I enjoyed in a long time with a score that worked yet that I would have no interest in listening to on its own. #
- Didn't record the construction noise? @sepulchra Drove 5 hours to record something … Heavy construction noise made me turn right back. #
- Received online "jingle writing" course invite. Syllabus lacks lesson on selecting choice moments from Who songs. #
- Man, good job. RT @TrueSwamp as Prince noted prophetically in "Batdance": "Hey Ducky — let's put the 7" in the computer" #
- Another heart broken by the transmutation of language. @jeremymeyers this makes me sad. #
- Increasingly convinced there are people employing the term 7" and by it mean a song released on its own, likely as an MP3. #
- RT @alvinlu Honking goose passing overhead (3rd St nr Mission Rock). #eartwit #415 #
- Or the nth-degree extrapolation of an LP. RT @alln4tural "NP?" I'm guessing you don't mean non-deterministic polynomial time. #
- Not all sonification is media-art sonification. Some is applied sonification. And some is both. #
- NP: Lesser/Matmos/Wobbly's Simultaneous Quartet, which has one of the most involved album covers of 2010 http://goo.gl/W4efw #
- Morning sounds: shower, desktop hard drive/fan, car and bus passing, baby kicking and cooing. #
- The real purpose of White House Poetry Slam is so Obama can have his original copy of Notations signed by Alison Knowles. #
- WH Poetry Slam is Homeland Security setup to snag Goldsmith :) RT @gregdavismusic maybe feds are gonna grab kenny g for grey-area sharing :) #
- Idea of Common as cultural threat is humorous. White House Poetry Slam haters should fear Kenneth Goldsmith of @ubuweb #
- "The only Berio I know is a brand of olive oil" –my (wonderful) mom #
- 15:12 = ratio of Bach:Sousa recordings in "classical" genre in Library of Congress National Jukebox http://loc.gov/jukebox #
- 2:1 = ratio of whistling:yodeling among genres in Library of Congress National Jukebox http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/ #
- 22:2:1 = ratio of opera:country:whistling among genres in Library of Congress' National Jukebox http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/ #
- The Magna Carta's in the hood: http://goo.gl/eBudA #richmonddistrict @deyoungmuseum #
- People, Jon Lewis (creator of the True Swamp comic) has joined Twitter: @trueswamp #
- I recorded the sound of glass shard in my kid's stroller http://t.co/7iFszJt Then @mystified131 remixed it http://t.co/3ALAgEj #
- RT @steinbruchel raindrops hitting the ground like bullets. the sound is incredible. could be my first noise record via @hecanjog #eartwit #
- In past week reinstalled OS on netbook and desktop — a digital equivalent of Keith Richards' mythical blood transfusions. #
- Desktop computer hard drive and fan in OS-reinstall mode, whizzing against undulating throb of refrigerator. No birds, no cars, no planes. #
- RIP, TV-theme composer "Big George" Webley (b. 1957); joked he wrote "music with an average duration of 29 seconds" http://t.co/teAPwuD #
- Introducing Madden's Law RT @mmaddencomics: You can't own a record so rare that it won't eventually turn up as filler music on NPR. #
- I will have to give it a listen. “@tobiasreber: Have you heard sound? … I like sound. All my mates think so, too. … Sound is profound.”#
- Apparently sound's a trend. I never know if this attention/acknowledgement is good, bad, a sign of a jumped shark … http://goo.gl/WoK6H #
- What We Talked About Before We Talked About Sampling: evoked, homage, allude, quote, reference, cite … #
- In my bag: David Osmond-Smith's Playing on Words and Zombies. #
- C++ for Dummies and Zombies #
- Genre is as persistent a myth as race. "@bwhitman google music beta onboarding asks me to choose my favorite genres. rage begins to swell." #
- In cafe mentally adding "& zombies" to people's books: Hegel's Concept of Experience & Zombies, The Sound & the Fury & Zombies. #
- “@admwllms: I swear my hair clippers were droning pleasantly earlier (beneath the usual buzz) while my girlfriend shaved my hair”#eartwit #
- Professional straight-razor shave just now sounded like a granular-synth music box. #
- And back again. “@tom_player: So interesting how few techniques cross over from commercial (pop) to concert music”#
- Song ends on cafe radio just in time for Tuesday noon siren. #
- Hush isn't silence. Hush is the consensual, communal pressure to be silent, and even if it doesn't resound, it has has its own vibration. #
- Listening to art * Playing with music * Sounding out technology * Composing in code #
- [email protected] But I also think it's healthy to school ourselves in pre-digital precedents, if only to not over-privilege our moment/era/time. #
- Something intriguingly odd about how use of the term "copyleft" peaks at each new century: http://goo.gl/tNdKc Cc @primusluta #
- Yesterday I pondered Berio @newmusicbox re: copyleft, appropriation, generation perspectives, classical sampling http://goo.gl/eIUDc #
- Thank you @geetadayal so much (!) for having asked Max Matthews my 50-channel Cage/Atlas Eclipticalis question! http://goo.gl/ISE1M Thanks! #
- Just Blaze's Cam'ron "Oh Boy" beat: xylophone + rim shot + vocal snippet = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJjs5HVzMU #
- That Just Blaze instrumental is a favorite of mine, but I did mean Buddy Holly's. @jakobkerr Cam'ron single "Oh Boy" feat. Juelz Santana? #
- #thesongsdontweighthesame @nightafternight Better still, Sleep's "Dopesmoker" (63:31) and Napalm Death's "You Suffer" (0:01.316). #
- Decade after iTunes launch we still refer to music in terms of "20,000 songs" (i.e., Google Music)? "Roundabout" & "Oh, Boy" weigh the same? #
- I think I will have an ice cream sandwich with lunch. #
- RIP, David Mason (b. 1926), British trumpeter best known for playing piccolo on Beatles' "Penny Lane" http://t.co/tDfiaHh #
- Social proximity in the age of Twitter and Facebook has not yet ceased to amaze me. #
- Few silences are as great as that from the other end of a telemarketer-research call when you ask who is funding the research #
- Broken glass in stroller wheel makes raspy little beat. Recorded this afternoon along Golden Gate Park http://t.co/7iFszJt #
- Today's recommended MP3: astute dissection of sonic background/foreground, but also useful drone for your baby's nap http://goo.gl/3uChI #
- Cage's "Imaginary Landscape" included turntables in 1939: just as long prior to the birth of hip-hop as we now are far from it. #
- Listening to Louis Jordan remixed by DJ Premier. More paste than cut, but fun. "Ain't Nobody Here but Us Chickens." #lanoire #
- Most music PR reads as if its intended audience already knows the subject, which is exactly the opposite of how it should be. #
- RIP, John Walker (b. John Maus, 1943), co-founder with Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers. #
- Are we more informed or hypersensitive about copyright than in the 1960s? I ponder Berio at http://goo.gl/eIUDc @newmusicbox #
- Morning sounds: shower, baby snores, hard drive/fan, ice cubes in coffee. #
- Homemade cucumber soda turned out great. What's next? I'm thinking cantaloupe. #
- [email protected] I didn't know you were in Twitterland. Excellent. Now following. Thanks on the Rucker recommendation. #
- 27,383: The number of items filed under "netlabels" at archive.org. #
- I am waiting for the 3d version of the novel Flatland. #
- Afternoon sounds: dryer, birds, cars. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments