- To read today's @LATimesEnt email newsletter you'd have no idea E3 took place this week in LA. #videogames #myopia #
- Weekend agenda: Berkeley, baby shower, Puerto Rican food, writing, museum visit(s?), record shopping. #
- Drove car home loaded with hand-me-down baby gates & toys, including phone whose ringer buzzed from inside the trunk whenever we hit a bump #
- That's the one. Thanks! Now wondering if retronym is a retronym. RT @debcha: @disquiet The word you're looking for is 'retronym' #
- "Webapp" is like "acoustic guitar," one of those terms that only needed to be created after the fact. #
- "Exterminate! Exterminate!" RIP, "voice of the Daleks" Roy Skelton (b. 1931) http://t.co/AfwVs2q via @guardian #
- Really wish 9 out of 10 emails I get from djshadow.com weren't trying to sell me something. #
- Everything I know about sports I learned by clicking on the names I didn't recognize in the Twitter Trends list. #
- Crud. I thought I had my old interview with Les Paul up on Disquiet.com. Need to dig it out and post it. #
- (Buncha RT's for my proposal. Cool.) I vote we name these two new elements Boris and Sunn O))) #noisescience #
- #noiseparents My kid thinks my Buddha Machine is its night nanny @disquiet @mapmap @gregdavis @lampo @antoniasimigis @stringbot #
- #noiseparents @mapmap @gregdavis RT @lampo FYI @stringbot @AntoniaSimigis @disquiet & all the moms + dads http://bit.ly/iYd38W #
- Had a feeling last night while trying nifty Les Paul logo on Google's homepage on my iPad that audio part wasn't HTML5: http://goo.gl/ozPI8 #
- I vote we name these two new elements Boris and Sunn O))). #
- Best thing at the end of day isn't the sense of accomplishment. It's the quiet resulting from shutting down desktop computer. #
- 6:00pm bells. Only audible when the windows are open. #
- 1st season of CBC TV series Intelligence is The Wire. 2nd (and final) season is Prison Break. Schaun Tozer's score is strong throughout. #
- Stoller wheel picked up glass shard in another part of town. It was like a cover version of this from a few weeks back: http://bit.ly/mi9PDw #
- Excellent #netlabel development: newly created @kikapunetlabel account signals http://kikapu.org/ is nearing relaunch. #
- This @evernote "peek" iPad 2 Smart Cover app would be a cool format for Oblique Strategies: http://goo.gl/HJKLa #
- The iPad app I mentioned yesterday that is adding recording to its feature set is @nodebeat #
- Belated RIP, producer (Human League, Buzzcocks) Martin Rushent (b. 1948) http://goo.gl/OtKR3 via @geetadayal @compactrobot #
- RIP, Lebanese composer Walid Gholmieh (b. 1938); composed Iraq anthem (1979-2003), was on Gorillaz's Plastic Beach http://goo.gl/NmuL5 #
- RIP, Swedish drummer and Chet Baker alum Nils-Bertil Dahlander (b. 1928) #
- Happiness is when one of your favorite sound apps adds the ability to record. #
- Just noticed that the Shaolin Temple in my neighborhood has a sign out front that reads, simply, "Since 495 AD." #
- The municipal church bell that is the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. #
- Current favorite "broken beat" filter is to let occasional Twitter @ mentions pause various audio-game apps running on my iPad. #
- Early patty-cake lessons with 9-month-old oddly reminiscent of early Steve Reich. #
- Inevitable realization that almost all my posts could be tagged #noiselife #
- Bjork mentions @reactable in new http://bjork.com/ HTML5 website statement. Interface suggests she's playing with @sonicwire. #
- I'm all in for composition-by-accrual, but not UI-by-accrual. I really need to give Disquiet.com a thorough visual cleansing. #
- Anyone recommend a more price-effective FTP service than sharefile.com and egnyte.com? #diycloud #
- RT @tobiasreber late night moment thought I heard tiny tinnitus. Turns out I just stood in right place/position to hear light bulb #twittear #
- RT @ooray Instant, jogging-synced tremolo from the in-ear phone bouncing in and out of my ear with every step. #naturaldsp #twittear #
- In cafe whose advertised selling points are in the negative: no wifi, no in-house music. Still, lots of us on cellphone-modem'd laptops. #
- RT @lydrummet Ben Burtt & Gary Rydstrom doing sound design on JJ Abrams' Super 8. That's like having John Lennon & Bob Dylan in same band. #
- Misread E3 report about Kinect-powered "virtual horse" as "virtual horse meat." … Cooking Mama Izakaya. #
- Copyright cops travel to 1700, arrest teen Bach for transcribing by hand complete book of keyboard works by Froberger, Kerll, and Pachelbel. #
- We appear to live in a world in which there's a Death Ray figurine http://goo.gl/c4RW7 but no Jack Hawksmoor one. via @superheronovels #
- Crazy. Such a basic tool. Tx. RT @linmu After long research NONE. if i know i have to annotate, convert epub to PDF & use Goodreader. #ebook #
- Is there an iPad ebook reader app that (1) exports notes (like Kindle app) & (2) has sync-less epub import (like iBooks app)? #
- RT @mapmap wonderful rolling sounds of thunder tonight in portland. #eartwit #
- Bring the #noiselife #
- RIP, Edwin Honig (b.1919), poet and early translator of Fernando Pessoa http://t.co/00aoyom #
- Afterdark sounds: trio for tow truck, rattling muffler, and hammer. #
- "Dream a Little Dream of Me" came on the cafe radio. It's 80 years old this year. Man, those changes. This will be my next ukulele project. #
- Happiness is when the band sends you soundboard MP3s of the show you just saw. Especially when you left mid-encore to catch the bus. #
- Door. #
- X-men movie is a lot of fun. Very pleased they used so much of the great Frank Quitely's visual template. #
- +$2.50 to Add Chicken Cutlet #shittywizardspells #
- Not quite sure what I think of "pay with a tweet" approach. Transparency is essential. "Payment" for that prior tweet was four ringtones. #
- I set on vibrate, but these ringtones are estimable for their simplicity. NB: tweet sponsored via @innothunder http://cleartones.net/ #
- Disappointed that @shazam fails to identify household appliances by their unique drones #noiselife #
- Calculate Tip #shittywizardspells #
- Vast amounts of work to do, but overwhelmed by urge to dig out old Steve Jackson micro-games. Rivets! Chitin! Ogre! G.E.V.! #
- Cloak of Rain Retardant #shittywizardspells #
- Hashtag Popularity Mirage #shittywizardspells #
- Dead Batteries #noiselife #shittywizardspells #
- RT @npseaver We know in certain circumstances the correct continuation of 2,4,6,8 is 10,12,14,16 while in others it's "who do we appreciate" #
- Increase Backpack Weight x2 #shittywizardspells #
- Explain Sports Reference #shittywizardspells #
- Renew Library Book #shittywizardspells #
- Hex Color Chart #shittywizardspells #
- Wrap in Mylar #shittywizardspells #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0507 / In DD’s Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
• 0506 / Wipe Out / The Assignment: Take something whole and erase half of it.
• 0505 / Line Out / The Assignment: Share a track, get feedback, and give feedback.
• 0504 / Transform Formula / The Assignment: Take a sound, change it, and contrast that with the original.
• 0503 / Sing Song / The Assignment: Record a song using only your voice transformed beyond recognition.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 507 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments