- Among the ironies of whole Jay Maisel / Kind of Bloop copyright fight is that few art forms before hip-hop were as appropriative as jazz. #
- When I see positive reviews of Dave Hickey's The Invisble Dragon, I wonder if there are two books by that name and I read the wrong one. #
- Man, I wanna get to Los Angeles this summer, now especially because I want to check out thewulf.org. #
- Morning sounds: shower, baby babble, broken beats. #
- Peter Falk has died. Time to cue up Wings of Desire. #
- RIP, composer Fred Steiner (b. 1923), who among other things wrote music for Star Trek and Twilight Zone. #
- The great Squiggle make-your-own-string-instrument app has had a thorough UI overhaul. #
- The Sound Cells app now syncs with midi, and has background sound support (i.e., listen while you read). #
- RT @mmaddencomics Jarmusch is hoping to convince Eno to score one of his next films. #
- If you play this library's HVAC system backwards, it sounds like Ronnie James Dio. #
- One hour and twenty minutes until a Manchurian feast. #
- Every time I use a conductive stylus on my iOS device, a fanboy angel loses his wings. #
- Nodame Cantabile & Zombies. #
- The "& Zombies" irony at library: just one person in view is reading a book. Everyone else? Newspapers, magazines, laptops, phones. #
- RT @dlb: @disquiet Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Zombies. #
- RT @DFelsenfeld: @disquiet The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind and Zombies. #
- PHP & MySQL for Dummies & Zombies #
- The Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine & Zombies. #
- The Male Brain & Zombies. #
- Again mentally adding "& Zombies" to titles of books being read around me at the library: Exegetical Fallacies & Zombies. #
- Library doesn't open until 1pm, so I am writing at nearby donuts shop. Scene feels like Blade Runner if it had been drawn by Daniel Clowes. #
- Ai Weiwei is free: "I'm released, I'm home, I'm fine." http://t.co/B2GbJSA #
- Nice. How does it sound? @boondesign: Norwegian Foghorn @ E43 http://t.co/pjMI0Mz #
- Morning duet for ice clinking in coffee and foghorns. #
- I miss the interstitial score cues from NYPD Blue. #
- Detail from Robert Motherwell's painting "Music over Music," at the De Young Museum: http://ow.ly/i/diIp #
- Hey, Keith Fullerton Whitman joined on Twitter today. He's at @keithfwhitman #
- Think next year for Sketches of Sound on Disquiet, I may do Alvin Lucier tribute: Feb artist draws version of Jan artist's work, etc. … #
- Thanks to SL Gallant for drawing my new Twitter background. He draws a GI Joe comic series, and he's the son of late drummer Larrie Londin. #
- Thanks again to @brianhagen111 for providing my Twitter background original illustration this past month. New one up momentarily. #
- There have been a lot of Peter Gabriel references on @engadget lately. #
- My expectations for Green Lantern have been so exquisitely lowered that when I see it it will likely feel like The Godfather. #
- Skateboarder and bus pass by the cafe in unison, wheels small and large on concrete and tarmac. #
- Asking again, on chance more people are online: Is there such a thing as a 48"-wide upright acoustic piano? #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. You can hear multiple sirens start at slightly different times, exaggerating the sense of echo. #
- The day is so much more quiet when I opt to work on my netbook instead of my desktop. Really need to upgrade the beast to SSD. #
- Pre-midnight sounds: eerily distant traffic. #
- Father's Day highlights: dim sum at Mayflower on Geary; listening to my 9-month-old chirping in the De Young Museum and reveling in the echo #
- "A piano is 88 percussive devices, yet it's a single instrument." http://t.co/nWX870a #
- Stupid question: is there such a thing as a 48-inch-wide upright piano? #
- Copyright timecops cite painter Larry Rivers for basing his Last Civil War Veteran (1961) on photo from Life magazine two years earlier. #
- What is(n't) an "instrument"? RT @tobiasreber: I added some of my thoughts to this interesting @disquiet discussion: http://t.co/NqgeNux #
- Foghorns on a warm morning. #
- Apparently I have been on Twitter four years as of today. My first tweet: "Reading the Settings options." http://bit.ly/lL4BCc #
- Thanks! As you know, it's my first, and I couldn't be happier. RT @mapmap Happy father's day! #
- Oh, one more thing: #stravinsky #
- Excellent new Sketches of Sound entry next week, by artist who draws an ongoing GI Joe series. It'll be my Twitter background for the month. #
- Having one of those "I love the Internet" days. #
- Beauty of duet for solo string instrument and oscillators is how much they resemble each other. #
- Super 8 felt like the first post-Instagram movie. #
- Alarm will sound: "Not an exit." "It says 'Exit.'" "We do need a better sign." #
- What is (and isn't) an "instrument"? Is the term outmoded, or due for resuscitation? Discussion still going strong at http://t.co/pUN9gNO #
- Worth noting this library owes its existence to public vote in 1930 to approve additional taxes to fund construction. During the Depression. #
- Man, the community experience at a public library on (re)opening day is an amazing thing. #richmonddistrict #415 #anza #
- Anza Branch of SF Public Library has reopened after 2 years of work. Packed on opening day. Loud, especially by library standards. #
- Wondering what percentage of people wearing noise-canceling earbuds do so simply to mute the world. #
- My IM contact list must be the most peculiar and misleading artifact of my data exhaust. #
- Planning for my first father's day (well, first as a father). Dim sum, museum visit, ukulele time. #
- Next @greatdismal & Don DeLillo are shorts collections (non-ficton & fiction, respectively), & there's a new straight-to-English Lem/Solaris #
- My espresso buzz matches the buzzes I'm listening to. #noiselife #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• August 15 - September 15, 2019: The Disquiet Junto is teaming up with Musikfestival Bern for a series of projects.
• August 29, 2019: This day marks the start of the 400th consecutive weekly Disquiet Junto project. It will be a collaboration with the novelist Malka Older.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• March 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0403 / Filter Box / The Assignment: Record music a piece of music in which a sequence of sounds is treated by the same filter or process.
• 0402 / Music for Tasks / The Assignment: Record music intended as the backdrop/soundtrack to a chore.
• 0401 / Noise Pacing / The Assignment: Use background noise as a beat, as a rhythm.
• 0400 / Sub Divided / The Assignment: Create a score to a Malka Older story using the author's own voice as source audio.
• 0399 / Edges & Echoes / The Assignment: Make sonic art for a space with the sounds of that space.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 403 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
Jason Richardson: "Cheers Marc, there’s a superstition that hanging out washing will lead to rain. Having..."
Entrümpelung Berlin: "thank you very much great article "
Gard Goldsmith: "It’s been a while since your post, but I want to let you know that I love The Grassy Knoll,..."
jimmy kipple: "“Epcot for aesthetes” #clappingemoji "
Mahlen: "Regarding the Android comment: as you say, simultaneous audio is clearly already possible in Android. The..."