- Curation is a higher-level operation than collation, but when most people say curate they don't even mean something as demanding as collate. #
- 3:2:1 = rank of frequency I use Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud on my phone #
- 3:1:2 = rank of frequency I use Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud on my desktop #
- 692:375:279 = number of people I follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud respectively #
- Your baby's voice fondly reminds you, at times, of bus brakes, tape delay systems, and old-school hip-hop #noiselife #
- RIP, Robert Morris (b. 1932), cryptographer , one of the developers of Unix, father of Robert Tappan Morris http://goo.gl/pBsH8 #
- Strange obituary formulations: "where he was living at his death." #
- No house is as loud as the one in which you are carrying a sleeping baby to its crib. #
- My 10-month-old continues to experiment with every possible verbal sound. Clicks are now passe. Current mode resembles backward masking. #
- Gulls cawing above the staticy simmer of a skillet thick with sausage and chicken. #
- Making jambalaya for friends who are about to have their first baby. #
- The conspiracy theory is the remix of history. #
- Euphonic coordination #
- For folks who haven't checked their WordPress(.org) installs recently, 3.1.4 is now available. #
- Anyone have a buddy @twitter who could help me obtain a never-used Twitter name that's been squatted for over a year? #
- My kid is 10 months old today. If you hear a foghorn, think of it as a slomo de-mix of "Happy Birthday." #
- New Sichuan spot in Richmond District. News not of interest to outside S.F., probably not outside the Richmond, but good news nonetheless. #
- That piece I wrote about Luciano Berio and our current oversensitivity to copyright issues has a new URL: http://goo.gl/cd9C2 #
- If you tried the @soundcloud app when it first was released, and then ditched it, I highly recommend giving it a try. Many improvements. #
- Man, Google Calendar is so much more a pleasure to work with thanks to this recent redesign. #
- Score to Star Wars is once removed from the experience of the theatergoer. Score to Halo is twice removed from the experience of the gamer. #
- Using Facetime on iPad 2 is so lo-rez it's a taste of the more low-rent server farms in Greg Egan's vision of the Singularity. #
- Wishing Murdoch would just turn MySpace into a non-profit and give it to Diaspora. #
- Would love to read descriptions of discussions that led to today's Google.com design changes as written by Nicholson Baker and David Mamet. #
- Noon siren makes every Tuesday in San Francisco feel like we're in a '50s sci-fi flick and Godzilla's got our back. #
- Experience suggests if you're out and about in SF on a Tues., the more expectant you are of the noon siren, the more likely you'll miss it. #
- My cable box doesn't get Channel Zero. #
- Office music is our business. RT @soundsurvivlist I concur on Saito Koji. "Count" has been soundtrack to my office most of the day. #
- De-corrupting ancient Eudora files is a lovely way to start a week. That & a VisiCalc mention earlier today has me checking what year it is. #
- People are really digging the Saito Koji on Resting Bell. This is excellent. #
- Afternoon audiostream: slow-building orchestral drone oomph by Vanessa Rossetto: http://bit.ly/ifQtwD #
- If you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com "page" you might "Like": http://on.fb.me/lR2TYe #
- Dear Hive Mind: A friend bought an old piano. Any tips for books/DVDs/etc. for learning to play? (For him now — for me down the road.) #
- Dear Hive Mind: If Thunderbird launches (Win7) like it was a brand new program, having forgotten your profile, how do you re-import profile? #
- It's nice to imagine a near future in which someone can say that the pulse is the new drone. #
- In Sacramento I heard trains. In New Orleans I heard boats along the Mississippi. In San Francisco, I don't hear transport. I hear foghorns. #
- Watching Leverage, knowing John Rogers tried to make a Global Frequency show, I can't help associate Eliot with the Authority's Midnighter. #
- There are few buzz kills like a massive block of multi-page text smack dab in the middle of a comic book. #
- If it's broken beats don't fix it. #
- If the individual typing madly to my left is not writing a space opera I will eat my iPod. #
- When my kid is a teen and the 2000s are the rage, some nifty Shonen Jump jackets wait in the closet. #
- The Eyeball Kid, Maximortal, A1, Peepshow, Caliber Presents, Grendel, Hutch Owens. So many long boxes. Bang! Pow! Oy! #
- So many boxes of old comics. Really must sort out what to do with them, aside from take up space. #
- When I finish everything I need to today, Darwyn Cooke's second volume of his Parker adaptation will be my reward. #
- More than anything he's released before, Brian Eno's forthcoming Drums Between the Bells sounds like he recorded it while in his PJs. #
- Amazing comments on posts about Kind of Bloop / Jay Maisel melee; many read ill intent, even plagiarism, into something clearly affectionate #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments