- Spent $.99 before brushing my teeth this morning: Otomata app by @earslap is in iOS store. News: http://goo.gl/wlzs7 Interview: goo.gl/kStjs #
- HTML5 audio synthesis excites me, but it feels like I'm excited about the third Captain America movie when the first one isn't even out yet. #
- I love that the #noiselife hashtag just keeps going. #
- RT @kimcascone: nice write up on my new CD here: http://t.co/PV8hJsI #
- Much data visualization is Edward Tufte fan art. #
- Wondering how WYSIWYG suggests some sort of user benefit, when its root is, clearly and deservedly, the consumer caveat YGWYPF. #
- Very excited about new Steven Soderbergh, Contagion, due in September, mostly because it means there's a new Cliff Martinez score. #
- The word "files" in news reports about cyber-attacks is about as meaningful as the word "songs" in ads for portable MP3 players #
- If you're used to multiple desktop monitors, perhaps the best thing about having an iPad (or equivalent) alongside laptop is continuity. #
- One of those days when it feels that Flash is going away too far in advance of full HTML5 implementation, leaving worrisome innovation gap. #
- One thing that's even better about Google+ than Twitter: the avatar employed by @gregdavismusic #
- Now listening to cassette I bought in Hanoi of the NhÃ HÃ¡t MÃºa Ri ThÄƒng Long water puppet show. #
- Oh, four years since Klock passed. My error. #
- Five years since DJ Klock ended his life. Discography http://goo.gl/poZAI Sweet video http://goo.gl/iziI4 Early beat http://goo.gl/zP5DB #
- Carbondating morning's cassette: RT @djtomassf Invisible Pictures: '97. Digitizing my old cassette mixes. Links on DJTomasSF FB page soon. #
- #np DJ Klock's cassette-only Direction of Rainbow (Live Mix in New York). #
- Nice. It is the silly straw of cassette tape looping. RT @jredsmyth: @mapmap @disquiet – prototype… http://t.co/uvZcS8T #
- Pondering sound "quality" on cassette from 1990s DJ scene in San Francisco. How much is age, materials, production, source audio, imagined? #
- My neighborhood, San Francisco's Richmond District, has two modes, which I think of as Glasgow & Santa Monica. Today: Glasgow. #
- RIP, Cuban guitarist Manuel GalbÃ¡n (b. 1931): Buena Vista Social Club … Ry Cooder http://t.co/Ai06wiY … Los Zafiros http://t.co/viblLJE #
- There's a new Sichuan restaurant in my neighborhood. Turns out it's scrumptious. Sichuan food and foghorns. What more could you ask for? #
- Wishing all music publicists posted behind a privacy wall on Soundcloud: let me stream to check it out, read info, download if of interest. #
- "The hills are alive with the sound of phonography…" RT @tobiasreber: The Music of Sound #johncagemusicals #
- Illo to Slate new-music article tells different (& better) story than article itself: traditions old (chamber) & new (rock) work together. #
- This Slate piece on contemporary (classical) music is a peculiar mix of aggression, grudge, and self-satisfied jadedness http://goo.gl/iNhB1 #
- Featuring "Shall We Chance." RT @galenbrown The I Ching and I #johncagemusicals #
- With Dawn Upshaw as Barbra Streisand RT @sohothedog FNNYGRL #johncagemusicals #
- It's raining Twitter-bots. #
- Tuesday noon siren, amid pounding of concrete work being done just outside the house. #
- This coming Sunday is World Listening Day: http://bit.ly/apXD1A #
- The idea of a "release date" is arguably more outmoded than the idea of a "physical recording." #
- Once on This Imaginary Landscape #johncagemusicals cc @sohothedog #
- The Phantom of the Anechoic Chamber #johncagemusicals cc @sohothedog #
- Caroline, or Music of Changes #johncagemusicals Cc @sohothedog #
- Working on new Disquiet.com motto. Wondering if "Composing in code" (as part of motto, not whole thing) mistakenly suggests I myself compose #
- Listening to art. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code. #
- Disappointed that Silence! The Musical is about Hannibal Lecter not John Cage, though the punctuation is a giveaway. http://goo.gl/dOflg #
- Erich Fromm's Escape from Freedom & Zombies #
- A block from the 6pm bells, the sound that turns the neighborhood into a village. #
- Keith Fullerton Whitman shares three seconds of sound from his Sunday morning via #soundcloud http://t.co/qXA9YvD #
- RIP, jazz fusion/disco producer Alphonso "Fonce" Mizell (b. 1943) of Mizell Brothers. 4Hero mix here: http://goo.gl/sMk36 via @primusluta #
- This is kinda funny: RT @TwitSetters: Trending right now is "Splice". This trend is set by @disquiet http://bit.ly/qTmUXA #
- Evening sounds: hard drive and fan blotting out the rest of the world. It will be shut off momentarily — the computer, not the world. #
- RT @RedSunSoundroom Thanks to @disquiet I've had Wheels On The Bus permutations going round & round in my head for what feels like eternity #
- RT @mapmap: Wow, two @disquiet posts mentioning my past projects in as many days! Very honored. http://bit.ly/pknZP2 + http://goo.gl/hVi5X #
- Lot of fun listening to vinyl last night with @superheronovels (Coleman, Fogerty, Sons of Mischief, Zep). Need to alphabetize my collection. #
- The splice on the loop goes round and round, round and round, round and round … all through the song #noiseparent #noiselife #
- Hard drive/fan especially loud this morning, no doubt because the house is otherwise so quiet. Listening to @2562amus album Aerial #
- RIP, Motörhead guitarist Würzel (b. Michael Burston, 1949). http://t.co/7ooXhkh #
- Congrats to @earslap. The iOS version of his Otomata audio-game awaits AppStore approval http://goo.gl/6v13m Flash version gets upgrade, too #
- More time passes, further back we look RT @Richard_Kadrey: Audio of 123-year-old doll could be 1st commercial recording http://bit.ly/nOUqBK #
- First old tape I've played on my old cassette player: a Tomas mix ("Invisible Pictures Part One") whose title yields a null Google result. #
- Late to the party. Only just this morning re-hooked up my old Denon cassette player. Guess I should clean the heads. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.