- Spent $.99 before brushing my teeth this morning: Otomata app by @earslap is in iOS store. News: http://goo.gl/wlzs7 Interview: goo.gl/kStjs #
- HTML5 audio synthesis excites me, but it feels like I'm excited about the third Captain America movie when the first one isn't even out yet. #
- I love that the #noiselife hashtag just keeps going. #
- RT @kimcascone: nice write up on my new CD here: http://t.co/PV8hJsI #
- Much data visualization is Edward Tufte fan art. #
- Wondering how WYSIWYG suggests some sort of user benefit, when its root is, clearly and deservedly, the consumer caveat YGWYPF. #
- Very excited about new Steven Soderbergh, Contagion, due in September, mostly because it means there's a new Cliff Martinez score. #
- The word "files" in news reports about cyber-attacks is about as meaningful as the word "songs" in ads for portable MP3 players #
- If you're used to multiple desktop monitors, perhaps the best thing about having an iPad (or equivalent) alongside laptop is continuity. #
- One of those days when it feels that Flash is going away too far in advance of full HTML5 implementation, leaving worrisome innovation gap. #
- One thing that's even better about Google+ than Twitter: the avatar employed by @gregdavismusic #
- Now listening to cassette I bought in Hanoi of the NhÃ HÃ¡t MÃºa Ri ThÄƒng Long water puppet show. #
- Oh, four years since Klock passed. My error. #
- Five years since DJ Klock ended his life. Discography http://goo.gl/poZAI Sweet video http://goo.gl/iziI4 Early beat http://goo.gl/zP5DB #
- Carbondating morning's cassette: RT @djtomassf Invisible Pictures: '97. Digitizing my old cassette mixes. Links on DJTomasSF FB page soon. #
- #np DJ Klock's cassette-only Direction of Rainbow (Live Mix in New York). #
- Nice. It is the silly straw of cassette tape looping. RT @jredsmyth: @mapmap @disquiet – prototype… http://t.co/uvZcS8T #
- Pondering sound "quality" on cassette from 1990s DJ scene in San Francisco. How much is age, materials, production, source audio, imagined? #
- My neighborhood, San Francisco's Richmond District, has two modes, which I think of as Glasgow & Santa Monica. Today: Glasgow. #
- RIP, Cuban guitarist Manuel GalbÃ¡n (b. 1931): Buena Vista Social Club … Ry Cooder http://t.co/Ai06wiY … Los Zafiros http://t.co/viblLJE #
- There's a new Sichuan restaurant in my neighborhood. Turns out it's scrumptious. Sichuan food and foghorns. What more could you ask for? #
- Wishing all music publicists posted behind a privacy wall on Soundcloud: let me stream to check it out, read info, download if of interest. #
- "The hills are alive with the sound of phonography…" RT @tobiasreber: The Music of Sound #johncagemusicals #
- Illo to Slate new-music article tells different (& better) story than article itself: traditions old (chamber) & new (rock) work together. #
- This Slate piece on contemporary (classical) music is a peculiar mix of aggression, grudge, and self-satisfied jadedness http://goo.gl/iNhB1 #
- Featuring "Shall We Chance." RT @galenbrown The I Ching and I #johncagemusicals #
- With Dawn Upshaw as Barbra Streisand RT @sohothedog FNNYGRL #johncagemusicals #
- It's raining Twitter-bots. #
- Tuesday noon siren, amid pounding of concrete work being done just outside the house. #
- This coming Sunday is World Listening Day: http://bit.ly/apXD1A #
- The idea of a "release date" is arguably more outmoded than the idea of a "physical recording." #
- Once on This Imaginary Landscape #johncagemusicals cc @sohothedog #
- The Phantom of the Anechoic Chamber #johncagemusicals cc @sohothedog #
- Caroline, or Music of Changes #johncagemusicals Cc @sohothedog #
- Working on new Disquiet.com motto. Wondering if "Composing in code" (as part of motto, not whole thing) mistakenly suggests I myself compose #
- Listening to art. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code. #
- Disappointed that Silence! The Musical is about Hannibal Lecter not John Cage, though the punctuation is a giveaway. http://goo.gl/dOflg #
- Erich Fromm's Escape from Freedom & Zombies #
- A block from the 6pm bells, the sound that turns the neighborhood into a village. #
- Keith Fullerton Whitman shares three seconds of sound from his Sunday morning via #soundcloud http://t.co/qXA9YvD #
- RIP, jazz fusion/disco producer Alphonso "Fonce" Mizell (b. 1943) of Mizell Brothers. 4Hero mix here: http://goo.gl/sMk36 via @primusluta #
- This is kinda funny: RT @TwitSetters: Trending right now is "Splice". This trend is set by @disquiet http://bit.ly/qTmUXA #
- Evening sounds: hard drive and fan blotting out the rest of the world. It will be shut off momentarily — the computer, not the world. #
- RT @RedSunSoundroom Thanks to @disquiet I've had Wheels On The Bus permutations going round & round in my head for what feels like eternity #
- RT @mapmap: Wow, two @disquiet posts mentioning my past projects in as many days! Very honored. http://bit.ly/pknZP2 + http://goo.gl/hVi5X #
- Lot of fun listening to vinyl last night with @superheronovels (Coleman, Fogerty, Sons of Mischief, Zep). Need to alphabetize my collection. #
- The splice on the loop goes round and round, round and round, round and round … all through the song #noiseparent #noiselife #
- Hard drive/fan especially loud this morning, no doubt because the house is otherwise so quiet. Listening to @2562amus album Aerial #
- RIP, MotÃ¶rhead guitarist WÃ¼rzel (b. Michael Burston, 1949). http://t.co/7ooXhkh #
- Congrats to @earslap. The iOS version of his Otomata audio-game awaits AppStore approval http://goo.gl/6v13m Flash version gets upgrade, too #
- More time passes, further back we look RT @Richard_Kadrey: Audio of 123-year-old doll could be 1st commercial recording http://bit.ly/nOUqBK #
- First old tape I've played on my old cassette player: a Tomas mix ("Invisible Pictures Part One") whose title yields a null Google result. #
- Late to the party. Only just this morning re-hooked up my old Denon cassette player. Guess I should clean the heads. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice