- Piece I wrote recently. RT @SactownMagazine Need reading material? Read our piece on Charlie Peacock. Here he is w/ Bono twitpic.com/5kvdm1 #
- RIP, violin teacher and critic (and, also, friend) Edith Eisler (b. 1925) http://t.co/SInmCPw via @operafella #
- File under "If I were in Tokyo": Maciunas/Fluxus exhibit at Gallery 360 Degrees: http://bit.ly/qiV55w (Events/concert, too.) #
- If you don't use Thunderbird or Outlook in Windows 7, please tell me what you use. Thanks. #
- Glad I didn't hit # while on hold with @godaddy — they're playing Squirrel Nut Zippers, missing whom is like being nostalgic for nostalgia. #
- Thank you, @godaddy: "If you would like to remain on hold without music, press pound now." #
- Feels like there have been a lot of albums about the death of the album (via @quietdesign) #
- Gotta love emails from avant-ambient musicians that end with "keep rocking." #noiselife #
- IT just replied "one setting was not correct" rather than "here's some additional information." Someone call the Nobel Peace Prize committee #
- Final post on Warhol Initiative dinner I wrote short stories for: http://goo.gl/EyFTT The stories: http://goo.gl/2PYRJ http://goo.gl/P8E9X #
- #ff @keithfwhitman @johnxela @tomcomitta @operafella @bwhitman @kimcascone (people who have fewer "followers" than me, & that's just stupid) #
- Current "iTunes + Quicktime" update for Windows 7 seems big at 40.91 MB but that's about 1/3 the size of a 320kbps full-length album of MP3s #
- One way to deal with frequent Flash updates is to interpret them as good omens. #protip #
- My kid may have come to associate morning with not just the sun rising but with the Windows 7 startup sound. #
- Listening to individual distant motorcycles roaming the city after midnight, as if Akira had been staged by Samuel Beckett. #
- Far as I can tell, I am sitting between Russian playing-card divination and Chinese-scroll authentication. #richmonddistrict #415 #
- Space shuttle is over, but astronaut-themed Shonen Jump series ST&RS has just begun. In English here http://t.co/xWetA9V via @SASAKI_Hisashi #
- White Collar's HP product placement worked in reverse. When I see HP laptops, all I think is: White Collar. #
- "Music" papers in Paper Shop of Penultimate iOS app have me wondering how to employ them in riff on Christian Marclay's Graffiti Composition #
- When I get a new batch of Twitter sexbot followers, it's a race to introduce them to generative music before they're wiped from the system. #
- Bummer. Dude at the cafe who always sat still while watching videos on his iPod Touch has bought a proper MacBook. End of an era. #
- I'd like to place an order, please, for a mash-up of DJ Khaled's "I'm So Hood" and Celtic Frost's "I Won't Dance." #
- [email protected] Here's a pretty sweet circuit-bent toy-rat music-thing by Tom (Univac) Koch: http://t.co/u128NU1 #
- We called them suites before we called them mixtapes. #
- I have killed another pair of earbuds. Do earbuds fear me, or mock me? I will assume mock. #
- I deal with some good music publicists, but majority email every release to everyone in their Roledex with some faux-familiar opening. #
- Sadly, old Russian guys aren't playing dominoes outside cafe. That & abacus-style counter they use is great part of neighborhood soundscape. #
- This looks promising: http://t.co/lGyknZK (Site dedicated to collating news items about game audio.) via @sepulchra #
- Few things speak to still nascent state of social media as the concert invitation that lists street address but not city name. #
- Glad the cover to Steve Reich's WTC 9/11 makes sure we don't mistake it for being about, you know, a different WTC 9/11. #
- RT @phillamarr: #SDCC The only place anyone should ever be asked: "who are you wearing?" #
- Already got my first "it's not dubstep" communication, from @tobiasreber. #
- Maybe at this point musicians releasing electronic music should only label it when it isn't "dubstep." #
- Tending to Google+ feels like prepping a Yugioh card deck. #
- Nice Jesse Baggs post on development of sketch for my Twitter background, including '60s photo of his dad playing drums http://bit.ly/oBbCIh #
- Past two months' entries in the Disquiet.com Sketches of Sound series were by guys whose dads played drums. #conspiracy #
- RIP, graphic designer Alex Steinweiss (b. 1917), early developer of the album jacket http://t.co/b9MbDjf #
- My new Twitter background is by Sacramento-based cartoonist Jesse Baggs, of hardpressedink.com. #
- Thanks, G.I. Joe illustrator S.L. Gallant for drawning my Twitter background this past month: http://t.co/YaQO1Am New background up shortly. #
- Something is rotten in the state of IMAP. #
- Sichuan for lunch, Persian for dinner. #
- Hardest part of essay I just wrote wasn't how writing it felt like I was doing a puzzle. It was making it not read like I was doing a puzzle #
- I'm electrosensitive only to the extent that I don't appreciate nostalgically mechanistic dance music. Cc @GlennF #
- To anyone (publicist or musician) sending me mail in New Orleans, I haven't lived there since August 2003. #
- Noon Tuesday siren in San Francisco on busy street. No one looks up. Bells toll a minute later, having waited their turn. #
- Apparently "pie in one's face" is a more easily understandable invasion of personal space than "stranger listening to one's voice mail." #
- "Audio Captcha" sounds like it could be the name of an Adrian Sherwood side project. #
- Remembering what Dennis Potter named his cancer. #
- Every time I come across a "Drones Over Yemen" news story I mistakenly think it's about Middle Eastern electronic music. #
- When a movie (or TV series) is made about Murdoch/Brooks/Fox conflagration, it's pretty clear @robinrimbaud should score it. #
- Cool news: Bjork has a free new app. Less cool: First thing it appears to do is suggest you purchase a $1.99 app. #
- [email protected] Thanks for the #WorldListeningDay hashtag tip. #
- World Listening Day reports. RT @opticecho for WLD I've got a mic outside recording the street noise during my ambient radio show ;) #
- Today was World Listening Day. Tell me: What did you hear? (More on WLD 2011, July 18, here: http://t.co/BJkPlCX.) #
- Today was World Listening Day, but sadly Google News lists just two news stories: http://t.co/Wcc2WiQ #
- The new Amon Tobin is pretty great unless you play it in your car while you might think the car has mechanical issues. #
- Not drowning, syncing. #
- The Xeric Grant and Borders are both dead, both of them strong forces for comics. What a strange, sad week it is for comics. #
- Sorry to learn of end of Xeric Grants: http://aol.it/q3mI5t Never fully agreed with funding approach, but it had a great list of recipients. #
- A relative reports that she's taking a Stony Brook class on social media & the professor's lecture today included a tweet of mine. Crazy. #
- Been giving feedback on in-progress music apps. Draws on parallels & complementary aspects from my time in comics editing & music criticism. #
- Afternoon ambient-haze audio stream courtesy of Chihei Hatakeyama: http://goo.gl/XHHq3 Album due out Aug 1. #
- Pictures of book covers are a useful reference, but what I could really use much of the time is pictures of spines of books I'm looking for. #
- Really enjoyed the BBC series State of Play. Staging its sequel now as reality television is genius. #
- Loving the idea of the term "Singularity" having been (ab?)used so much that it has "transcended" meaning. via @bengo #
- Saying you found something "on the Internet" is like saying you found something "on the planet." #
- Mona Lisa in 140 "circles of color" http://t.co/YsSnKyx via @jeanklare referencing issues we discussed re: Kind of Bloop http://t.co/npFpwGY #
- Goat tacos for lunch, chaat for dinner, @oaklandmuseumca in between. #eastbayday #
- Buck-fifty goat tacos on International Blvd in Oakland. #
- Just another day at the ambient beach. RT @jredsmyth rinsing the saltwater off your piezos after a day at the beach #noiselife #
- Good day. Visits to @sfmoma & @ybca, then picked up recent Botanist (Tumult) & Natural Yogurt Band (Now Again) CDs at @aquariusrecords. #
- There are no doubt worse ways to die than in the midst of one's devices slowly syncing, but right now they don't occur to me. #
- Had no idea Ragovoy wrote all those songs, whose shared sense of repetition made for some of my earliest proto-drone-rock experiences. #
- RIP, songwriter Jerry Ragovoy (b. 1930): "Time Is on My Side," "Piece of My Heart," "Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" http://goo.gl/hlIHn #
- "Hook and loop tape." Things we say when we mean Velcroâ„¢. #
- What's great about drone-oriented group improvisation is the ensemble's implicit agreement to be less than the sum of its parts #
- Closest thing I have to a diary is looking back at my tweets each Saturday when my Disquiet.com automatically collects them as a single post #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
• 0468 / Mirror Rorrim / The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 472 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments