- The recently deceased Gene McDaniels' widely sampled Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse: http://t.co/im6uoDn (via @tones) #
- RIP, singer and songwriter Gene McDaniels (b. 1935), sampled by Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, Organized Konfusion. #
- Making apple soda from light slurry left over after making apple sauce for my 11-month-old. #
- Never been much of a radio listener, music-wise. Pandora/Spotify/Rhapsody feel like radio. Soundcloud/Bandcamp feel like crate-digging. #
- The appearance of the phrase "Thanks for the add" on any social network is a sure sign of a fatal flaw in the architecture of that network. #
- Modern glyphs: these few lines mean one carne asada taco and one regular chicken taco at Cancun on Mission http://ow.ly/i/eZDa #415 #
- [email protected] Such a hassle. I'm not home, and I have a Soundcloud-sourced MP3 I'd like to listen to on the bus. Shouldn't be this hard. #
- 1. Waste phone's battery. 2. Bypass iPod sync with slow wifi file manager? 3. Purchase *third* portable music player (e.g., SanDisk)? #oy #
- Tonight's urban-walk score: Miles Davis' "Shhh/Peaceful" stretched by @Le_Berger 50% longer than original http://t.co/CLFlpuB via @vuzhmusic #
- "New Tab with Clock" Chrome extension is nice, though each new tab opens with sudden urgency of sequence from TV show 24 http://t.co/IiS7ub8 #
- Digging music-free environment of Borderlands on Valencia, all the better to enjoy the sounds of HVAC, street noise, and construction. #415 #
- I'm participating in an 8/3 #415 talk at @gaffta with @rddy (of @eyebeamnyc) & @lucmeier (of @swissnexsf) & @barrythrew: http://goo.gl/IrlN1 #
- RIP, Japanese electronic musician Rei Harakami (b. 1970), via @moskitoo_land & @taylordeupree #
- Foghorns tonight sound like cellos tuning up before a symphony begins. Fog season is upon us. #415 #
- Hard to tell where the 9am bells at Sonoma State end and where the campus-wide HVAC hum begins http://ow.ly/i/eVcn #
- Dunno if @bandcamp "related tags" are human- or algorithm-generated, but "Russian Federation" rightly comes up as related tag to "downtempo" #
- First time in months I wasn't in San Francisco for the Tuesday noon siren. #
- Enjoying my little Acer netbook but its name (Aspire — as in "I aspire to a MacBook Air"?) and logo really need a decal cover. Suggestions? #
- Mid-morning sounds (library edition): Low-level HVAC, footsteps, shuffling paper. Only people heard talking are librarians. #
- Goodnight #noiselife everywhere #
- "Super Fly" off Zoo Keeper by DZA is what would happen if Naked City made hip-hop: http://t.co/131W9dY #
- People trying to add my disquiet.com email ID to Google+, but I use my gmail.com one. Sorting it out feels more complicated than it should. #
- [email protected] Yeah, a fun and useful comparison. So, who is the most Brakhage-like music producer? #
- Splice studies continue RT @gregdavismusic: @disquiet Brakhage probably made more splices in one short film than 10 years worth of hiphop #
- Smart commenter connects hip-hop beat splices to experimental films of Stan Brakhage: http://t.co/Z9mbzB7 #
- RIP, Fran Landesman (b. 1927), lyricist of "Nothing Like You," which was like nothing else on Miles Davis' album Sorcerer. #
- James Gleik suggests Poe found perfect epigraphs by making them up: http://bit.ly/ocUbqe There's a lesson somewhere in there for samplers. #
- Different bus stop, different harmonica player. Something is up. #415 #
- Low-key breakbeats in my headphones combining nicely with clarinet rendition of "I'm in the Mood for Love" on the cafe stereo. #
- Listening to instrumental edit of Back to Black. RIP, Amy Winehouse (b. 1983). #
- Ecstatic harmonica at the bus stop, short-statured guy with bike-chain bracelet and massive fanny-pack. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.