Erik Schoster isn’t joking. When he says a recent soundcloud.com track of his “gets kinda loud,” he’s right — it does just that, moving not so much from whisper to scream as from whine to assault. But it does so with just the sort of slow reassessment of the sonic source materials that it becomes the musical equivalent of the old adage about cooking a frog by gently raising the temperature in a pot until it’s reached a boil. What begins here as razor-sharp whining comes to resemble a bellows instrument as the tones thicken and moisten, only to become thunderous by the time the piece reaches its end, nearly 10 minutes further on. The result is a track that asks the listener to reconsider the noisiness of noise, to try to locate when exactly rich tonal material becomes earplug-necessary listening. Chances are, they’ll say it’s around the 6:22 mark.
5 Most Recent Comments
Peggy Nelson: "Like you, I was really fascinated watching the code be worked on, while the music changed in response..."
António Reinaldo: "Gosto muito de música! "
António Reinaldo: "I like music very much! "
Lin Mu: "Thanks for doing this. This is why I love human curation. First there is the ideocratic sense that someone,..."
Miranda Lukeman: "Wow, this brings back memories—it’s been years since I participated. I’m so happy Junto Disquiet..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0337 / Through-Composted / Create a piece of music that is through-composed, but built entirely from samples.
• 0336 / Open Mic / Share a piece of music you're working on in the interest of getting feedback.
• 0335 / Alone Time / Record conference-call hold music — a private limbo of your own making.
• 0334 / Mass Branca / Record a massive multi-layered tribute to the legendary guitarist-composer.
• 0333 / Half Evil / Where numerology casts a shadow on musicology.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice