- Again, the nagging question: (1) foghorn or (2) cell phone in next room on vibrate? #
- Trying to remember the last movie I saw in a theater that tempted me to just stay put and watch it again all the way through. #
- The producer is the recording artist. The band is the band. #
- The Headlands Center for the Arts was, not long ago, a military base. The hills were alive with the low level hum of constant preparedness. #
- Understatement of the week. RT @mlaffs: most music software default settings do not accommodate classical music #
- Disturbing how much better my laptop (Win 7) runs after switching to Chrome from Firefox. I miss my Delicious sidebar, but so be it. #
- My pleasure. A thoughtful hiss. RT @minimalspace nice review about my recent series of sound sculptures Signal to Noise http://bit.ly/pnfkIl #
- & truly unlimited data RT @tommoody watched HTML5 presentation. assumed (i) everyone has iPad (ii) internet capacity for huge single pages #
- Great evening of discussion @gaffta tonight. Hope to have time to post some reflections while it's fresh. #
- Realizing I didn't hear the Tuesday noon #415 siren today because I was on the bus listening to new Cut Hands album on my new Sansa Clip+. #
- Reminder: If you're in San Francisco, I'm giving a little talk, alongside @rddy, tomorrow @gaffta about "Sound as Commentary." #
- Next year marks the 100th birthdays of John Cage & Conlon Nancarrow. Curators, musicians, & sound artists: start your engines. #
- Sun Ra on the wall at current @parklifesf exhibit http://ow.ly/i/fcvs #
- One sure way to attract readers to a page is to transcribe a lengthy speech from Battlestar Galactica #iwanttohearxrays #
- U Chicago giving away (in exchange for email address) Erin Hogan's Spirla Jetta ebook this month: http://bit.ly/gYbWD3 #landscapeart #
- Many thanks, Jason RT @jverlinde Great piece on about Edith Eisler, esteemed classical music critic who just passed away http://t.co/FtUyxJH #
- Edith Eisler (violin teacher, critic, friend) passed away last week at 86. A tweet wasn't sufficient, so I wrote this: http://goo.gl/sF5FR #
- Listening to Miles Davis slowed to 50% on Van Ness in San Francisco after dark is a Michael Mann film that Michael Mann hasn't yet made. #
- Between recent @ionizer_ & @dustmotes MP3s, the @dustedwax netlabel (in Varna, Bulgaria) is a force to be reckoned with: http://t.co/rpOb1xN #
- started using the publish sync extension! Visit: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/aamklbolfkledofgpbdllkangemkfdnb. #
- A true cassette label wouldn't have a Twitter account or email. Just tiny print ads in alt weeklies and a POB. #noiselife #
- Pretty awesome used-vinyl street sale on Valencia St at 17th. I picked up a Marina Rosenfeld 7" from 1999. #94110 #
- Switching to zip code from area code when geo-tagging. #
- "Crackadoooooom": Detailed @io9 interview with Thor's Walt Simonson touches on the art of comics sound effects http://ow.ly/1v9zli #
- Headed to the Mission to get some work done. Any particularly interesting gallery shows up right now? #415 #
- It's not a soundtrack. It's a film-less film. #
- Eyeopening RT @boondesign For those who missed ride on Orbit by @salvagione Sunday from 12-5pm you have 2nd chance: http://t.co/OOi8VGc #415 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD’s Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
• 0506 / Wipe Out / The Assignment: Take something whole and erase half of it.
• 0505 / Line Out / The Assignment: Share a track, get feedback, and give feedback.
• 0504 / Transform Formula / The Assignment: Take a sound, change it, and contrast that with the original.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 508 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments