- Again, the nagging question: (1) foghorn or (2) cell phone in next room on vibrate? #
- Trying to remember the last movie I saw in a theater that tempted me to just stay put and watch it again all the way through. #
- The producer is the recording artist. The band is the band. #
- The Headlands Center for the Arts was, not long ago, a military base. The hills were alive with the low level hum of constant preparedness. #
- Understatement of the week. RT @mlaffs: most music software default settings do not accommodate classical music #
- Disturbing how much better my laptop (Win 7) runs after switching to Chrome from Firefox. I miss my Delicious sidebar, but so be it. #
- My pleasure. A thoughtful hiss. RT @minimalspace nice review about my recent series of sound sculptures Signal to Noise http://bit.ly/pnfkIl #
- & truly unlimited data RT @tommoody watched HTML5 presentation. assumed (i) everyone has iPad (ii) internet capacity for huge single pages #
- Great evening of discussion @gaffta tonight. Hope to have time to post some reflections while it's fresh. #
- Realizing I didn't hear the Tuesday noon #415 siren today because I was on the bus listening to new Cut Hands album on my new Sansa Clip+. #
- Reminder: If you're in San Francisco, I'm giving a little talk, alongside @rddy, tomorrow @gaffta about "Sound as Commentary." #
- Next year marks the 100th birthdays of John Cage & Conlon Nancarrow. Curators, musicians, & sound artists: start your engines. #
- Sun Ra on the wall at current @parklifesf exhibit http://ow.ly/i/fcvs #
- One sure way to attract readers to a page is to transcribe a lengthy speech from Battlestar Galactica #iwanttohearxrays #
- U Chicago giving away (in exchange for email address) Erin Hogan's Spirla Jetta ebook this month: http://bit.ly/gYbWD3 #landscapeart #
- Many thanks, Jason RT @jverlinde Great piece on about Edith Eisler, esteemed classical music critic who just passed away http://t.co/FtUyxJH #
- Edith Eisler (violin teacher, critic, friend) passed away last week at 86. A tweet wasn't sufficient, so I wrote this: http://goo.gl/sF5FR #
- Listening to Miles Davis slowed to 50% on Van Ness in San Francisco after dark is a Michael Mann film that Michael Mann hasn't yet made. #
- Between recent @ionizer_ & @dustmotes MP3s, the @dustedwax netlabel (in Varna, Bulgaria) is a force to be reckoned with: http://t.co/rpOb1xN #
- started using the publish sync extension! Visit: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/aamklbolfkledofgpbdllkangemkfdnb. #
- A true cassette label wouldn't have a Twitter account or email. Just tiny print ads in alt weeklies and a POB. #noiselife #
- Pretty awesome used-vinyl street sale on Valencia St at 17th. I picked up a Marina Rosenfeld 7" from 1999. #94110 #
- Switching to zip code from area code when geo-tagging. #
- "Crackadoooooom": Detailed @io9 interview with Thor's Walt Simonson touches on the art of comics sound effects http://ow.ly/1v9zli #
- Headed to the Mission to get some work done. Any particularly interesting gallery shows up right now? #415 #
- It's not a soundtrack. It's a film-less film. #
- Eyeopening RT @boondesign For those who missed ride on Orbit by @salvagione Sunday from 12-5pm you have 2nd chance: http://t.co/OOi8VGc #415 #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice