- RIP, Jack J. Hayes (b. 1919), longtime screen composer (Virginian), orchestrator (Incredibles), conductor (Taxi Driver) http://t.co/cZYa4jV #
- Completed The Gate, currently playing OASIS, looking forward to T'Rain. #
- Heard from @banabila after writing about his vocal cut-up work. Added some information about his process to the post: http://t.co/2IuvlIk #
- Assuming it's a coincidence there's an Another Earth ad on the @nytimes page with a Budd Hopkins obituary. #
- Alphas may be the most sound-oriented TV drama this side of Fringe. #
- Wondering when all the moralizing pundits who blast rap- and rave-associated violence will start slamming professional sports. #
- Parsing 2000-plus emails accumulated during my two-week break. Fighting impulse for another PR-corrective tweet. #
- Excited to read Chihei Hatakeyama performs in Brisbane tonight. Then learned it was the one in Australia, not California. #sadmarc #
- Back in the CSU Sonoma library, whose third floor is splendidly labeled a "Text Only Zone." (Referring to phones, not books.) #
- Main reason I traded up from a TRS-80 to the "classic" Mac was because the latter was "portable." Man, remember that backpack? #lol #sadmac #
- First thing I did on my first Mac (1984) was try to reproduce Tom Phillips' inside-jacket art from King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black. #
- Thinking about my first Mac (the "classic"), which I bought freshman year of college when my TRS-80 had run its course. #
- Hate the genre, not the band. #
- Man, bassist Cliff Burton died a quarter century ago this coming September 27. #metallica #
- Great to have taken a two-week Twitter/Disquiet break. And great to be back. Brain and ears cleansed. #
- Sparkplug publisher Dylan Williams faces cancer. Support him by supporting Sparkplug. I recommend Shiga's Bookhunter: http://t.co/IqNYP78 #
- Madama Butabara #baconoperas #
- Satyagraham #baconoperas #
- Third week in a row I've missed the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. First two in NY, now in Sonoma. #
- Back home in San Francisco after two weeks, welcomed by fog horns. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.