- The third time you hear "Mustang Sally," it's probably time to move to another cafe. #
- Is Tower Heist the Easy Rider of the #occupy movement? #
- Album a lot less interesting texturally once I realized my earbuds were reproducing external noise picked up by laptop's mic. #
- Apparently my hometown (Huntington, NY) has the highest U.S. per capita consumption of video games http://t.co/K0vpY0Nv via @industrygamers #
- There should be a placid Blue Angels event, just silent rainbow-colored air balloons passing to and fro all weekend long. #
- The Blue Angels' #OccupyClouds noise-art performance work persists. It's like the Blue Man Group meets Transformers up there. #
- Apparently this is not the debut year of the Prius Blue Angels. #
- Delay/distortion on VoIP headset just slow enough that it sounds less like an echo of my voice and more like an imitator. #
- Humidifier & construction next door creating peals of low-level audio beading: nanotech Steve Reich approaching grey-goo stage. #
- The intro to the Person of Interest TV series is perhaps the most Processing-looking thing on network TV. #
- Was just RT'd by @autohotkey. Question is, was it automated? #
- Just a quiet night at home fine-tuning some AutoHotkey scripts. #
- Favorite thing lately is singing my one-year-old to sleep by intoning the ABC song at 1/8th speed. #
- The website for artist Paolo Salvagione has gone live at http://t.co/Ag0gEcSz. #
- "in silence": best way to read Nobel laureate Tomas TranstrÃ¶mer's poetry according to @tejucole in the New Yorker nyr.kr/r8uZHk via @CBCarey #
- Afternoon field recording: the elevator in the Shinjuku Washington Hotel, Tokyo: http://t.co/St5aUVqf #
- My first social network was a BBS. There's a mental score of a modem connect when Twitter's flow first fills my browser window. #
- 4: Number of Apple products currently in household #
- 1994: Year of second Apple purchase (supplanting x386 Toshiba laptop) #
- 1984: year of first Apple purchase (supplanting my TRS-80) #
- Temporary avatar swap inspired by those of @TelstarLogistic & @stevesilberman. #
- .@JoshOwenMorris Agreed, re: Siri. Smartphone's best feature = less talk not more. But Android's audio search/transcription has been useful. in reply to JoshOwenMorris #
- Apple's Siri-based iPhone release shortly after Kindle Fire reinforces poor Fire decision to dispense with microphone. #
- Reminder about Steve Jobs memorial "deals": if seller isn't taking a loss or matching costs, then it's profiting from grief. #
- Really loving the new Google Docs icons. #
- Still just looking forward to looking forward to Person of Interest. Hopeful for solid post-surveillance pop culture. #
- Closest I come to following organized sports is observing race between competing email news alerts from NY & LA Times. #
- Wednesday night, I suddenly realize I didn't hear the Tuesday noon siren yesterday. I was in a Szechuan restaurant in Chinatown at the time. #
- RIP, Steve Jobs (b. 1955). #
- Afternoon score (far to near): bus passing, neighbor's construction, bird flutter, breeze, baby's snoring, rain-like iPad tap tap typing #
- RIP, Bert Jansch (b. 1943), founding member of Pentangle http://t.co/oJ5JdEYO #
- RIP, David Bedford (b. 1937), British composer http://t.co/LJLOlMdQ #
- It's about three months until the 15th anniversay of Disquiet.com, so right about now in 1996 I was weighing my URL choices. #
- My favorite album this week is the dehumidifier we've borrowed from our neighbors. #
- Sonar ping on bus as it idles while driver reattaches cabling, like we're in a submarine sending out a distress signal. #
- Morning audio environment: intermittent construction next door, dehumidifier drone, occasional piano chord signalling new email #
- .@osakimandias The Oxford comma is the smallest Rorschach test invented yet. in reply to osakimandias #
- Dilla's Donuts cover updated at Urban Outfitters' request. Praised someone's CBGB T. Response: Unaware what it was; just "looked cool" at UO #
- Writing on Twitter provokes crossword-like conversations. "What's a shorter word for 'complimented'?" #
- TV's Person of Interest is like if Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry took orders from Mark Hansen and Ben Rubin's Listening Post. #
- TV's Person of Interest is like if Mark Hansen and Ben Rubin's Listening Post were a police procedural. #
- One of those nights where people know each other primarily via Twitter/blogs. I am not Marc Weidenbaum; I am Marc Atdisquiet. #
- Maybe human-readable URLs could be to post titles as etched words on the inside rings of vinyl LPs are to album titles. #
- Sweaty Monocle #magazineswiththewordsweatyinthename #
- Yeah, images on Disquiet.com are now full width and (in the case of smaller items, like album covers) flush-aligned. Feels a lot cleaner. #
- They're announcing items at the cafe with a handheld bellows instrument: "Your panini will be ready in the key of D." #
- â™ª Afternoon remix: Daedelus munches on Savath y Savalas, making it deliriously squelchy: http://t.co/xQAv5NTR #
- Astonishing how much lower CPU load is when using @emclient for email rather than, say, Outlook or Thunderbird. Possibly a Win7 netbook must #
- Hoping to make the @bldgblog talk tonight at @SFAIevents #
- Trying out @emclient on my netbook. So far, so good. #
- My one-year-old's snoring sounds like a turntable needle stuck in a lock groove at the end of an LP. #
- Excellent day at APE — old friends and new artists. #
- Nice Memorex-ad reference on this week's episode of Fringe. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice