- The third time you hear "Mustang Sally," it's probably time to move to another cafe. #
- Is Tower Heist the Easy Rider of the #occupy movement? #
- Album a lot less interesting texturally once I realized my earbuds were reproducing external noise picked up by laptop's mic. #
- Apparently my hometown (Huntington, NY) has the highest U.S. per capita consumption of video games http://t.co/K0vpY0Nv via @industrygamers #
- There should be a placid Blue Angels event, just silent rainbow-colored air balloons passing to and fro all weekend long. #
- The Blue Angels' #OccupyClouds noise-art performance work persists. It's like the Blue Man Group meets Transformers up there. #
- Apparently this is not the debut year of the Prius Blue Angels. #
- Delay/distortion on VoIP headset just slow enough that it sounds less like an echo of my voice and more like an imitator. #
- Humidifier & construction next door creating peals of low-level audio beading: nanotech Steve Reich approaching grey-goo stage. #
- The intro to the Person of Interest TV series is perhaps the most Processing-looking thing on network TV. #
- Was just RT'd by @autohotkey. Question is, was it automated? #
- Just a quiet night at home fine-tuning some AutoHotkey scripts. #
- Favorite thing lately is singing my one-year-old to sleep by intoning the ABC song at 1/8th speed. #
- The website for artist Paolo Salvagione has gone live at http://t.co/Ag0gEcSz. #
- "in silence": best way to read Nobel laureate Tomas Tranströmer's poetry according to @tejucole in the New Yorker nyr.kr/r8uZHk via @CBCarey #
- Afternoon field recording: the elevator in the Shinjuku Washington Hotel, Tokyo: http://t.co/St5aUVqf #
- My first social network was a BBS. There's a mental score of a modem connect when Twitter's flow first fills my browser window. #
- 4: Number of Apple products currently in household #
- 1994: Year of second Apple purchase (supplanting x386 Toshiba laptop) #
- 1984: year of first Apple purchase (supplanting my TRS-80) #
- Temporary avatar swap inspired by those of @TelstarLogistic & @stevesilberman. #
- [email protected] Agreed, re: Siri. Smartphone's best feature = less talk not more. But Android's audio search/transcription has been useful. in reply to JoshOwenMorris #
- Apple's Siri-based iPhone release shortly after Kindle Fire reinforces poor Fire decision to dispense with microphone. #
- Reminder about Steve Jobs memorial "deals": if seller isn't taking a loss or matching costs, then it's profiting from grief. #
- Really loving the new Google Docs icons. #
- Still just looking forward to looking forward to Person of Interest. Hopeful for solid post-surveillance pop culture. #
- Closest I come to following organized sports is observing race between competing email news alerts from NY & LA Times. #
- Wednesday night, I suddenly realize I didn't hear the Tuesday noon siren yesterday. I was in a Szechuan restaurant in Chinatown at the time. #
- RIP, Steve Jobs (b. 1955). #
- Afternoon score (far to near): bus passing, neighbor's construction, bird flutter, breeze, baby's snoring, rain-like iPad tap tap typing #
- RIP, Bert Jansch (b. 1943), founding member of Pentangle http://t.co/oJ5JdEYO #
- RIP, David Bedford (b. 1937), British composer http://t.co/LJLOlMdQ #
- It's about three months until the 15th anniversay of Disquiet.com, so right about now in 1996 I was weighing my URL choices. #
- My favorite album this week is the dehumidifier we've borrowed from our neighbors. #
- Sonar ping on bus as it idles while driver reattaches cabling, like we're in a submarine sending out a distress signal. #
- Morning audio environment: intermittent construction next door, dehumidifier drone, occasional piano chord signalling new email #
- [email protected] The Oxford comma is the smallest Rorschach test invented yet. in reply to osakimandias #
- Dilla's Donuts cover updated at Urban Outfitters' request. Praised someone's CBGB T. Response: Unaware what it was; just "looked cool" at UO #
- Writing on Twitter provokes crossword-like conversations. "What's a shorter word for 'complimented'?" #
- TV's Person of Interest is like if Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry took orders from Mark Hansen and Ben Rubin's Listening Post. #
- TV's Person of Interest is like if Mark Hansen and Ben Rubin's Listening Post were a police procedural. #
- One of those nights where people know each other primarily via Twitter/blogs. I am not Marc Weidenbaum; I am Marc Atdisquiet. #
- Maybe human-readable URLs could be to post titles as etched words on the inside rings of vinyl LPs are to album titles. #
- Sweaty Monocle #magazineswiththewordsweatyinthename #
- Yeah, images on Disquiet.com are now full width and (in the case of smaller items, like album covers) flush-aligned. Feels a lot cleaner. #
- They're announcing items at the cafe with a handheld bellows instrument: "Your panini will be ready in the key of D." #
- â™ª Afternoon remix: Daedelus munches on Savath y Savalas, making it deliriously squelchy: http://t.co/xQAv5NTR #
- Astonishing how much lower CPU load is when using @emclient for email rather than, say, Outlook or Thunderbird. Possibly a Win7 netbook must #
- Hoping to make the @bldgblog talk tonight at @SFAIevents #
- Trying out @emclient on my netbook. So far, so good. #
- My one-year-old's snoring sounds like a turntable needle stuck in a lock groove at the end of an LP. #
- Excellent day at APE — old friends and new artists. #
- Nice Memorex-ad reference on this week's episode of Fringe. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.