- Working in Menlo-Regular. Maybe I don't need Consolas after all. #
- Heard fan on Macbook Air for first time since Tuesday purchase. Now back to silent. #SSD #
- Whenever I use the term "program music" I am concerned a reader will think I mean "program as in 'computer program.'" #
- Guy outside working fervidly in cold on massive phone-line switch box. He turns around. I'm surprised he's not Robert De Niro in Brazil. #
- Actual choice in Apple email asking why I declined help setting up laptop at Apple Store: "I wanted to experience opening the box on my own" #
- Most prominent post-Windows ghost pain: absence of Consolas font. This will be addressed shortly. #switch #
- Laptop adjusting brightness relative to environment on day of passing clouds is exercise in adverse effects of automation on nervous system. #
- "exhibition’s co-curator…dreamed…Brian Eno appeared to him and declared, 'Germany Is Your America'" http://t.co/ydYSzXJN via @nytimes #
- First major back-to-Mac revelation: Keyboard Shortcuts (under System Preferences) is great. Suits all my AutoHotkey needs. #
- Noon church bells collude and collide with beep of truck backing up. #
- Exhibit by @salvagione opens tonight at Aggregate Space in Oakland. I wrote an essay for it (http://t.co/y2GsqRdb), design by @boondesign. #
- Writing on a laptop with an SSD drive is a peaceful experience. #
- [email protected] As Einstein said, "There is no audible tick-tock everywhere in the world that can be considered as time." in reply to osakimandias #
- Dear Hive Mind, What's a Mac application that syncs with @simplenoteapp and supports both its pin and tags features? #
- Disappointed that Chime in Valve's Steam doesn't play on Mac. (Now have Metallica going through my head: "No remorse no regret.") #
- I hear Pink Floyd. My immediate impression is that someone is watching The Wall on one of the cafe's many laptops, but it's just the radio. #
- I bought a Mac yesterday evening. It's my third Mac ever, my first since 1994. This should be interesting. (My first Mac was the first Mac.) #
- Trying out, belatedly, the @soundcloud Mac application for the first time. Nifty. Glad to see that unlike the iOS app it supports downloads. #
- My pleasure. RT @falsereactions: My set from CMKY (@communikey) was featured on Disquiet this morning. Check it: http://t.co/mCQ6HkNO #
- Fave tweet of day, and it's only 6:37am. RT @CBCarey: Construction in 4 different locations in town this AM. It's like Antheil spatialized. #
- I've got a new essay for @salvagione's new work RT @boondesign: Aggregate Space opening Fri, 6-8pm. Oakland Art Murmur: http://t.co/CTsig8sw #
- Every time you report a Twitter spambot, an angel gets its iPad. #
- Best thing about a cafe near a Russian Orthodox Church? Besides the bells, it's the regular appearance of men in cassocks using iPads. #
- This is @richard_kadrey on Esquivel: "It sounds like what James Bond's dentist must play in his waiting room." #
- iPad set to notify email arrivals with alerts. Woke to 50+ emails. Had to "dismiss" each individually. Switched to banners. #hassle #ux #
- RIP, French composer/musician/musicologist André Hodeir (b.1921); his "Anna Livia Plurabelle" & "Bitter Ending" set Finnegan’s Wake to music #
- dog-whistle auto-dramaturgy #
- 6:00pm bells pushing through traffic noise, some ancient practice struggling to be heard in modern world. #
- Work by @taylordeupree @wcraghead & @mapmap hasn't made me routinely receptive to Instagram but has convinced me it can be used exquisitely. #
- Hoping to catch Faust at the Balboa Theater tomorrow night. #
- Tuesday noon siren heard against beep of timer from kitchen of Chinese restaurant. #
- Sudden distant police siren brings background to foreground and highlights the current utter absence of bird song. #
- Admash (noun): The accidental mashup when your mouse triggers a "rich media" ad on website that's already streaming audio. #
- Based on how we read these ABC books, my 14-month-old must think the ISBN code is the 27th letter of the alphabet. #
- Apparently the song birds are getting bigger in our area: http://t.co/vU54N5mK #
- Morning alarm. Sonic sunrise. #
- RIP, Tom Keith (b. 1947), who created the sound effects for the radio series Prairie Home Companion: http://t.co/hFFNp9Lc #
- Listened to long drone concert on repeat for afternoon & early evening. Details came into focus over time. Volume increased as sky darkened. #
- One ebook at a time per device. #
- Man, the new Google Reader is lovely. #
- Will not be posting "spooky" music today because all music has the potential to be spooky. #
- My nightmare scenario? These foghorns switch from Ingram Marshall mode to John Williams mode. #
- 23 dB – 34 dB: baby snores #
- Always happy when a program informedly updates/refines its commands. Except it often means an unexpected half hour re-coding of AutoHotkeys. #
- It is so Instagram outside right now. Thick fog, bright sun. #
- It is so film noir outside in the Richmond District right now. #
- T-shirts for Russ & Daughters and for Katz's Deli sighted outside Nopalito in San Francisco. #
- Would swear the bird is chirping in between the noon church bells. Well, perhaps "swear" is the inappropriate word. #
- Half the time I see "PD" in tweets I think it's about a Puredata meetup, not police #occupy activity. #
- Hey, hive mind: I'm requesting recommendations for particularly strong/thorough biography of Wallace Stevens? Thanks. #
- The latch on the window is in fact a switch that turns on the bird-song noises. #
- Evening's highly recommended streaming: lively clicktronic kitchen-sink instrumental pop of @bacanalintruder: http://t.co/IZWZkczz #
- Windows open front & rear on sunny October day in San Francisco. Sounds of cars in living room, helicopters in backyard. Sonic crossbreeze. #
- Have been out'n'about in San Francisco for over six hours and saw just one Nintendo DS. #nintendtimes #
- Secret origin of Bluetooth. RT @ptermx: @disquiet Aye! 'twas a business invented by crazies so they could get under the radar. #
- If we're not careful, the image of our time will be individuals alone in their cars seemingly talking to themselves. #
- New Koji Asano album likely the first recording I have ever received that came with a promotional pack of tissues. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0479 / Truck Radio Rain / The Assignment: Locate three sound sources and make something with them.
• 0478 / Collage of Collages / The Assignment: Make a collage that will become part of a larger collage.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 479 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments