- Be nice: Please record & share. RT @fishwhisperer: Someone is playing the church bells spectacularly somewhere in Astoria. #
- Goodnight noises, frigidaire. #
- New record from Prong due in 2012. First in over half a decade. #
- After 11pm, the Macbook Air's speakers need several intervals between the lowest volume level and mute. #
- If you (1) fiddle with Instagram & (2) make vaguely ambient electronic music & (3) would like to participate in a group project, lemme know. #
- 6:00pm bells make neon-lit Geary feel like a village. #
- Listening to precise, pinging music via Macbook Air, pondering how its brittle sound matches the formal purity of the vessel. #
- Still not used to the idea that Bleep.com alphabetizes artists by first name. #
- I used to dislike Instagram photos. Now I seem to see each one as the cover to a fictional record album. #
- The 6:00pm church bells appear to be in tune with the solo piano music playing on cafe stereo system. #
- Gonna take time to decide on core text editor on my new Mac, but for time being the beta of Sublime Text 2 by @sublimehq is in the lead. #
- Municipal minimalism: the pulsing sound when the beeps of adjacent crossing signals go slightly out of sync. #
- VLC looks pretty in OS X. #
- In favor of #MuppetOscars only if Animal gets to be Music Director. #
- If this guy treated his dog like he did his laptop, the ASPCA would be here by now. #
- Q: What's Mac version of @addtips? A: RT @addtips: We are going to cover a lot of Mac apps (mostly freeware) soon. Just wait a few days. #
- Oddly fixated, after Heavy D's death, on one's final tweet (mine and others'). #beinspired #
- Dear Hive Mind, What's a solid Mac (OS X) equivalent of @addtips (aka addictivetips.com) — i.e., software tips, mostly free/shareware? #
- Bad-sync day: iCal versus Google Calendar; Simplenote versus Notational Velocity versus Flick Note. #
- RIP, rapper/producer Heavy D (b. 1967). Tried to interview him for recent Cake piece I did (re: Jay-Z's "Guns & Roses") but didn't happen. #
- ”¦ and then the church bells, as if they had been waiting for their turn. #
- Tuesday noon siren on cold day. Windows closed, muffling the alarm and the voice that follows it. #
- Finished Isaacson's Einstein bio & 1st volume of Kadrey's Sandman Slim. Now want to read Isaacson's Benjamin Franklin bio and vol 2 of Slim. #
- RIP, physicist Norman F. Ramsey (b. 1915), whose research led to the Atomic Clock, and who worked on Manhattan Project: http://t.co/ZuOLSAT2 #
- [email protected] Yeah, the all-button trackpad initiated evident change to soundscape of libraries & cafes. "Tap to click," please. in reply to npseaver #
- OS X Lion life is a lot more quiet when you switch from standard trackpad click to "tap to click." #whew #
- Barely a month until December 13, the 15th anniversary of Disquiet.com. Crazy. #
- The forums at steampowered.com and the goodreads.com site are down simultaneously. Are readers gaming too much, or vice versa? #
- Is there a complete list online of OSX Lion keyboard shortcuts, or just 1,000 lists, each with between 5% and 66% of total? #
- Duet for breath of sleeping baby and drone of refrigerator. #
- Photo: Debussy, music concrete http://t.co/SWJjyoWf #
- Day 7 w/ Macbook Air. Digging it. Some errors (Keyboard Shortcuts unresponsive, Mail doesn't always mark email as replied) but pretty sweet. #
- Listening to field recordings at home. 14-month-old wondering where, exactly, all these birds are. #
- The @nytimes alerts email came in droves today. Did they improve their search, or is today's just "the issue dedicated to stuff Marc likes"? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.