- Instagr/am/bient update: All images are in. There are 22 contributors. If you're involved & don't get an assignment from me today, email me. #
- Two-hour warning. We have 18 official participants in the Instagr/am/bient project. At least one more expected. Deadline: 10:30pm, Pacific. #
- RIP, Alan Styles, the Pink Floyd roadie after whom "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" (off Atom Heart Mother) was named. #
- RIP, composer Minoru Miki (b. 1930), who wrote the music for the film In the Realm of the Senses. #
- iOS sound-app upgrades: Bebot got a sub-oscillator and more; Inception got a revised dream; RJ Voyager and Mixtikl are now iOS5-friendly. #
- Chamber-music noise remix: hold music on my phone playing through its speaker while I wait for operator. #
- Would someone please make a movie just of Blair Brown and Judy Davis staring each other down? Music by Clint Mansell. #
- Great Instagr/am/bient photo from @pheezy. Rest due by 10:30pm. Then I begin sorting who gets which. Cover design will be by @boondesign. #
- Traffic to http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 from Facebook is 4x Twitter. Participation from Twitter is 10x Facebook. #
- Participating in Instagr/am/bient? Your photo due 10:30pm Pacific today. I assign you a photo tomorrow by 1:30pm. Your track due by 12/24. #
- Great Instragr/am/bient entries by @benjamindauer @ooray @falsereactions @markrushtoncom @naotko and many more. This is gonna be great. #
- Alberto Iglesis scored Soderbergh's two-part Che and now the Tinker Tailor remake. He has mid-century Cold War sonics down. #
- RIP, Jerry Robinson (b. 1922), who created the Joker. His uniquely shaky line brought a uniquely ambiguous morality to comics. #
- The incongruity between sitting next to your peacefully sleeping child and hearing multiple sirens racing toward some troubled destination. #
- Apparently the Kindle Fire isn't deaf. It needs a hearing aid. The mic-less device reportedly works with mic-enabled headsets. #
- Nice surprise seeing this Steve Roden painting at the Sonma U Art Gallery http://t.co/5aO9tZDm in between two Richard Serras. #
- Similarities between "physical structure of spider silk and the sonic structure of a melody" http://t.co/KfcOxChE tx @karmenite @physorg_com #
- "Hear, hear." RT @pulsetrain: @disquiet how the @_type label does everything is worth emulating #
- To be clear, innovation comes in many forms, not just "social." How the Type label streams all albums on @soundcloud is worth emulating. #
- [email protected]_w_young As many people have said, it'd be nice if someone built a pretty front end to http://t.co/VsCIgQRo. in reply to a_w_young #
- Soundcloud accounts of, you know, with-it, contemporary musicians that follow no one: Flying Lotus, Neon Indian, Matthew Dear, Sonic Youth. #
- And there's that. RT: @DevMartinMusic @disquiet @soundcloud If you follow a million people. You look like spam. #
- Mostly for record labels: If you don't follow anyone on @soundcloud, you don't look participatory. You look like a billboard. #
- Just getting started with VLC, PD-extended, Soundcloud, Mixxx. And you? @gtra1n: disquiet what music apps are you using on your MacBook Air? in reply to gtra1n #
- Programs that crash most on my Macbook Air: iCal, Thunderbird. Chrome doesn't crash, just goes into RHM (resource-hog mode). #
- 24 hours until Stage 1 of Instagrambient project. If you've contacted me & haven't heard back, lemme know. Photos due Friday 10:30pm Pacific #
- Now at Tikva pop-up vinyl shop in the Mission. Here's my interview with Fool's Gold on assimilation and appropriation: http://t.co/2ZWAw6VR #
- Gotten five gorgeous images for the "making ambient music inspired by Instagram photos" collaborative project. Well underway. #
- Check list available of musicians sampled by the Beastie Boys who are already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? #
- The cafe stereo is playing an acoustic guitar instrumental rendition of "Layla." Can someone tweet me a flamethrower? #
- Off to sleep. More "Instagr/am/bient" details and correspondence in the morning (Pacific Time). #
- If you're interested in being part of the Instagram/ambient project, and you haven't received an email/tweet/soundcloud message, lemme know. #
- Apparently the http://t.co/xjPeys7Q domain is still available. I don't think I'll be purchasing it. Related: http://t.co/rsQFGWNZ is taken. #
- I'll be sending out plans for "Instagram ambient" project in the next 24 hours. Wanna be included? Shoot me email: [email protected] dot com. #
- San Francisco Tuesday noon siren through open window on sunny day. Kinda wish every day had its own specific noon alarm. Kinda. #
- Batman composer Hans Zimmer crowd-sourcing chants for new film's score http://t.co/4ch8kBoN via @io9 #longestfilmcreditsever #
- Nature is the remix. RT @soundsurvivlist: Looping @ambienteer track via @disquiet in office today. Perfect accompaniment to rain outside. #
- One week 'til 15th anniversary of http://t.co/xdF6qCg1. Seems like just yesterday I was faxing my URL order form. Yes, faxing. #
- Concrete poetry, animated gifs, more. RT @tommoody: In NY? Please come to my EFA Project Space talk Wed. night (12/7): http://t.co/PELuCKPx #
- This new Timbaland beat, "Pass At Me," is my least favorite of his in a long time. #
- I think we have a winner. RT @benjamindauer: @disquiet Sys Prefs > Users > You > Login Items – remove iTunesHelper. Should rid 'listener'. #
- [email protected] @rlainhart Figured out where "Prevent [iPads/etc.] from syncing automatically" is. Now how to just stop iTunes auto-launch. in reply to benjamindauer #
- Dear Mac People: How do I keep iTunes from opening on my laptop when I connect my iPad? Thanks, Marc #
- Previous tweet's quote of Turner winner Martin Boyce from a short biographical film quoted by @artinfodotcom here: http://t.co/TZ5o5z2D #
- 2011's Turner winner, a sculptor, Martin Boyce, shares a perspective with 2010's: "I became interested in making places rather than objects" #
- Something to listen to while reading about Turner Prize winner: Our compilation tribute to last year's, Susan Philipsz: http://t.co/KTYjfHrm #
- Really happy I opted for the 13" laptop over the 11". Never thought I'd go for the larger one, but it's working out nicely. #
- As I work on design refinement of Disquiet.com I realize that despite what the logo says, I think of it as Disquiet.com, not as Disquiet. #
- Very good point. Some metronomes do benefit from tutorials. RT @jamesmcn: @disquiet Billotti Trinome emulator? #
- You know the world is complicated when a metronome app adds a tutorial. #
- Listening to art. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code. #
- You can listen without irony to Pat Benatar and Bob Seger in the Mission District on a Saturday night: http://t.co/wVcnE26s #tikva #idelsohn #
- RIP, blues great Hubert Sumlin (b. 1931), via @pheezy @stevesilberman #
- Sudden blast of foghorn, like it had woken in a jolt from a nap. #
- Wanted this for awhile: RRRecords 7" of 100 locked grooves. $5 at garage sale on Valencia @ 18th in SF http://t.co/YFLMn0Dg #415 #
- Berlin report: RT @osakimandias: To extent that evening's chill is bearable, it's the subtle music of rainstorm in the city that makes it so #
- Last night I got to watch Steve Berlin and band perform an original score to a 1928 Russian silent film. Report here: http://t.co/3LItyN6V #
- The 6:00pm bells sound like a dingy being rocked on the waves of traffic noise. #
- Today's baby time mash: Sandra Boynton's "Moo, Baa, La La La!" in the style of Mose Allison. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments