- Crazy white noise filled the living room in the near dark at 6:10am as I was typing. The Tivo machine was, briefly, a sonic blast furnace. #
- I've learned much from the Instagr/am/bient project. One key thing: @soundcloud sets would benefit from "shuffle play" mode. #
- http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 interviews department redesigned. Highlights full list of 72 since 1992: http://t.co/kju7BTqN (More TK from archive.) #
- Our new compilation of original music, Instagr/am/bient, has almost 2,000 listens on @soundcloud, in under 24 hours: http://t.co/vgxaQCya #
- The first http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 remix production, Our Lives in the Bush of Disquiet, has had almost 35,000 downloads since its 2006 release. #
- The facts of the contemporary home stereo. #soundcloud http://t.co/fTpDCRaJ #
- Somewhat overwhelmed by amount of Instagr/am/bient correspondence. This is good. #
- Thanks for warm Instagr/am/bient response. 1200 plays in first half day, not counting http://t.co/VsCIgQRo downloads: http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- Instagr/am/bient is 25 musicians making sonic postcards inspired by each other's @instagram photos: http://t.co/YMvlToqk #
- Major thanks to @boondesign for the visual heavy lifting. The 10MB PDF he put together for Instagr/am/bient is gorgeous http://t.co/Vk05bFry #
- Thanks to @mapmap @benjamindauer @ooray @wcraghead and everyone else who made Instagr/am/bient possible. #
- Promised myself I wouldn't do a Disquiet multi-musician project until Lisbon one's done but this congealed fast/nicely: http://t.co/YMvlToqk #
- Despite possible mistaken impressions, I'm new to Instagram. If you do it, I'm @dsqt over there. Here, of course, I get to keep my vowels. #
- It's time to share something a whole lotta people have been working on http://t.co/Ht61OHy2 #
- Instagr/am/bient 5×5. http://t.co/I4wbymgS #
- Coming soon. #netlabel #ambient #instagram http://t.co/MBLlO87x #
- Momentary break from Twitter-silence. Graphic genies at @boondesign & I are nearing completion on Instagr/am/bent. Release to appear soon. #
- Tools. http://t.co/vdAjapvX #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• Autumn, 2019: I'll have a new piece in The Wire.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• March 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0411 / Wrapped Up / The Assignment: Record a piece of music as a gift for someone special to you.
• 0410 / Op Audio / The Assignment: What does the sonic equivalent of Op Art sound like?
• 0409 / Spooky 3.0 / The Assignment: Raise haunting music to the next level.
• 0408 / Fritiniency Tronics / The Assignment: Were "fritiniency" ("the chirruping sound made by birds or insects") a musical genre or technique, what would it sound like?
• 0407 / Dark Pitch / The Assignment: What do you hear between stations on the radio dial during a drive in the middle of night?
And there is a complete list of past projects, 411 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
Patrick Glynn: "Hello, I’m looking forward to hearing what you’ve been listening to. Thanks, Patrick "
Michael Mennell: "ok, glad I could help. Do you have a link to that MicroFreak video btw? I had posted it to our..."
Michael: "Yesterday, this post had a video (mistakenly?) linked at the top featuring a MicroFreak. What was that?..."
Marc Arsenault: "Are you saying, it’s like a smurf’s arm with a plum in its fist? "
David Neale-Lorello: "Would Thomas Dolby be one of the heroes or the mascot? "