- Crazy white noise filled the living room in the near dark at 6:10am as I was typing. The Tivo machine was, briefly, a sonic blast furnace. #
- I've learned much from the Instagr/am/bient project. One key thing: @soundcloud sets would benefit from "shuffle play" mode. #
- http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 interviews department redesigned. Highlights full list of 72 since 1992: http://t.co/kju7BTqN (More TK from archive.) #
- Our new compilation of original music, Instagr/am/bient, has almost 2,000 listens on @soundcloud, in under 24 hours: http://t.co/vgxaQCya #
- The first http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 remix production, Our Lives in the Bush of Disquiet, has had almost 35,000 downloads since its 2006 release. #
- The facts of the contemporary home stereo. #soundcloud http://t.co/fTpDCRaJ #
- Somewhat overwhelmed by amount of Instagr/am/bient correspondence. This is good. #
- Thanks for warm Instagr/am/bient response. 1200 plays in first half day, not counting http://t.co/VsCIgQRo downloads: http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- Instagr/am/bient is 25 musicians making sonic postcards inspired by each other's @instagram photos: http://t.co/YMvlToqk #
- Major thanks to @boondesign for the visual heavy lifting. The 10MB PDF he put together for Instagr/am/bient is gorgeous http://t.co/Vk05bFry #
- Thanks to @mapmap @benjamindauer @ooray @wcraghead and everyone else who made Instagr/am/bient possible. #
- Promised myself I wouldn't do a Disquiet multi-musician project until Lisbon one's done but this congealed fast/nicely: http://t.co/YMvlToqk #
- Despite possible mistaken impressions, I'm new to Instagram. If you do it, I'm @dsqt over there. Here, of course, I get to keep my vowels. #
- It's time to share something a whole lotta people have been working on http://t.co/Ht61OHy2 #
- Instagr/am/bient 5×5. http://t.co/I4wbymgS #
- Coming soon. #netlabel #ambient #instagram http://t.co/MBLlO87x #
- Momentary break from Twitter-silence. Graphic genies at @boondesign & I are nearing completion on Instagr/am/bent. Release to appear soon. #
- Tools. http://t.co/vdAjapvX #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.