- Jan 7 = Instragr/am/bient Track 07: @benjamindauer responds in slow swells to @markrushtoncom's Rothkoesque @instagram: http://t.co/BoEju71d #
- Music from ice. Already 7 tracks in first Disquiet Junto communal sound project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 6 = Instagr/am/bient Track 06 = @falsereactions renders Dead Wood's municipal @instagram image http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- Belated: Jan 5 = Instagr/am/bient Track 05 = Nibblets renders Vourtsis' glistening @instagram: http://t.co/K5mjcp44 #
- Already three fine entries in the first communal http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 @soundcloud project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #oumupo #
- Socal cafe etiquette http://t.co/Jg61iLsg #
- Definitely not too late. RT @OpenHeartSound don't think it's too late to get in on 1st soundcloud junto http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Two great tastes. Listen simultaneously. RT @morganpackard What to listen to while I work… Basic Channel or Burt Bacharach? #
- Morning sounds in Pasadena: occasional bird calls, cars skirting stop signs on moist pavement. #
- Pretty sweet exhibit of vinyl record players at SFO: Revolutions per Minute. http://t.co/huWhNbeQ #
- Please tell me that someone somewhere right now is writing a proper, thorough biography of Wallace Stevens. #
- Details on communal music project I mentioned if you're into participating: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Yellow is my favorite color. By far. RT @leonrosado hey Marc @disquiet curious if you have any favorite frequency/note like a favorite color #
- First bus ride with RJDJ in months. Bing echo bleep echo. #
- Good response so far: 1, make electronic music; 2, are on @soundcloud; 3, wanna participate in fast-turnaround sampling project? Lemme know. #
- We launched Instagr/am/bient exactly a week ago. Over 14,500 listens since. Thank you, everyone involved, for this. http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- If you 1, make electronic music; 2, are on @soundcloud; 3, want to participate in fast-turnaround sampling project lemme know. #
- Prepping for 42 hours in Los Angeles. #
- Shout-out to futureprüf dot com for its efforts in the recent upgrade to my site (disquiet dot com). #
- "our closest fans": somewhat inscrutable construction from recent Metallica promotional email #
- Jan 04 = Instagr/am/bient Track 04 = Dublin's @oootini saw rooftop @instagram by Chicago's @XYZR_KX, made burbling tune http://t.co/sFklMtG7 #
- Instagr/am/bient: Behind the Music. A dozen of its 25 musicians discuss process in this post-in-progress: http://t.co/cVd0SIOu #
- 38, 82, 193, 265, 271, 459, 582, 642, 772, 870, 931: the pages in the book 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die featuring my writing #
- 11: number of minutes spent in library before hearing someone's laptop start-up sound (Mac) #
- 12,000: number of listens in less than 6 days to Instagr/am/bient (musicians respond to each other's @instagram photos) http://t.co/vgxaQCya #
- Tuesday noon siren on what functions like a Monday. #
- Got copy of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die. I wrote a dozen entries. Will soon post on the sonic properties of one. #
- Jan 03 = Instagr/am/bient Track 03 = @dirtydemos turns @instagram shot by @jbutlerjbutler into audio of rough textures http://t.co/ljgKxWYq #
- RIP, musician @rlainhart, the first person who's died whom I have communicated with only via Twitter // via @cdmblogs; http://t.co/rvOF4Hgj #
- 342,000: number of Google returns for "I don't own a TV but" #
- Jan 02 = Instagr/am/bient Track 02 = @c_bissonnette's audio take on @wcraghead's cathode @instagram of his own drawing: http://t.co/J9lkho2X #
- Jan 01 = Instagr/am/bient Track 01 = @mapmap's sonic rendering of a @falsereactions @instagram photo: http://t.co/BPjjGBtG #
- OK, major thanks to folks for the Instagr/am/bient support. Now resuming Twitter-dark status. Back on morning of January 3. Farewell, 2011. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Stephen Vitiello: "thank you Marc! "
Andrew Culture: "I now wish I had seen Buster Scruggs at the cinema, although I’m not sure it ever got a..."
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
0373: Copernican Music
• 0373 / Copernican Music / The Assignment: Record a piece of music intended for an alien species.
• 0372 / Honeymoon Phase / The Assignment: Record a piece of music with (only) your most recently obtained instrument or music/sound tool.
• 0371 / Concrete Ambience / The Assignment: What could concrete wallpaper music sound like?
• 0370 / Through Lines / The Assignment: Follow a single strand in the accumulated material resulting from a multi-part, multi-thread collaborative endeavor.
• 0369 / Final Solo / The Assignment: Record the final third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track, based itself on a prior pre-existing track.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice