- Jan 7 = Instragr/am/bient Track 07: @benjamindauer responds in slow swells to @markrushtoncom's Rothkoesque @instagram: http://t.co/BoEju71d #
- Music from ice. Already 7 tracks in first Disquiet Junto communal sound project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 6 = Instagr/am/bient Track 06 = @falsereactions renders Dead Wood's municipal @instagram image http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- Belated: Jan 5 = Instagr/am/bient Track 05 = Nibblets renders Vourtsis' glistening @instagram: http://t.co/K5mjcp44 #
- Already three fine entries in the first communal http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 @soundcloud project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #oumupo #
- Socal cafe etiquette http://t.co/Jg61iLsg #
- Definitely not too late. RT @OpenHeartSound don't think it's too late to get in on 1st soundcloud junto http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Two great tastes. Listen simultaneously. RT @morganpackard What to listen to while I work… Basic Channel or Burt Bacharach? #
- Morning sounds in Pasadena: occasional bird calls, cars skirting stop signs on moist pavement. #
- Pretty sweet exhibit of vinyl record players at SFO: Revolutions per Minute. http://t.co/huWhNbeQ #
- Please tell me that someone somewhere right now is writing a proper, thorough biography of Wallace Stevens. #
- Details on communal music project I mentioned if you're into participating: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Yellow is my favorite color. By far. RT @leonrosado hey Marc @disquiet curious if you have any favorite frequency/note like a favorite color #
- First bus ride with RJDJ in months. Bing echo bleep echo. #
- Good response so far: 1, make electronic music; 2, are on @soundcloud; 3, wanna participate in fast-turnaround sampling project? Lemme know. #
- We launched Instagr/am/bient exactly a week ago. Over 14,500 listens since. Thank you, everyone involved, for this. http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- If you 1, make electronic music; 2, are on @soundcloud; 3, want to participate in fast-turnaround sampling project lemme know. #
- Prepping for 42 hours in Los Angeles. #
- Shout-out to futureprüf dot com for its efforts in the recent upgrade to my site (disquiet dot com). #
- "our closest fans": somewhat inscrutable construction from recent Metallica promotional email #
- Jan 04 = Instagr/am/bient Track 04 = Dublin's @oootini saw rooftop @instagram by Chicago's @XYZR_KX, made burbling tune http://t.co/sFklMtG7 #
- Instagr/am/bient: Behind the Music. A dozen of its 25 musicians discuss process in this post-in-progress: http://t.co/cVd0SIOu #
- 38, 82, 193, 265, 271, 459, 582, 642, 772, 870, 931: the pages in the book 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die featuring my writing #
- 11: number of minutes spent in library before hearing someone's laptop start-up sound (Mac) #
- 12,000: number of listens in less than 6 days to Instagr/am/bient (musicians respond to each other's @instagram photos) http://t.co/vgxaQCya #
- Tuesday noon siren on what functions like a Monday. #
- Got copy of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die. I wrote a dozen entries. Will soon post on the sonic properties of one. #
- Jan 03 = Instagr/am/bient Track 03 = @dirtydemos turns @instagram shot by @jbutlerjbutler into audio of rough textures http://t.co/ljgKxWYq #
- RIP, musician @rlainhart, the first person who's died whom I have communicated with only via Twitter // via @cdmblogs; http://t.co/rvOF4Hgj #
- 342,000: number of Google returns for "I don't own a TV but" #
- Jan 02 = Instagr/am/bient Track 02 = @c_bissonnette's audio take on @wcraghead's cathode @instagram of his own drawing: http://t.co/J9lkho2X #
- Jan 01 = Instagr/am/bient Track 01 = @mapmap's sonic rendering of a @falsereactions @instagram photo: http://t.co/BPjjGBtG #
- OK, major thanks to folks for the Instagr/am/bient support. Now resuming Twitter-dark status. Back on morning of January 3. Farewell, 2011. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0551 / The Bends / The Assignment: Get less strict about something you're strict about.
• 0550 / Abrupt Probability / Make music based on a chance graphic score.
• 0549 / Sidelines / The Assignment: Get intentional with stereo.
• 0548 / Drone Vox / The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice.
• 0547 / Genre Melee / Combine two seemingly different genres.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 551 consecutive weeks to date.