- RIP, Peter Bergman (b. 1939), founding member of Firesign Theater, ingeniously used audio in satiric comedy: http://t.co/YPM7KzyG #
- RIP, Moebius (b. Jean Giraud, 1938), comic book artist. #
- Never checked out the Stones Throw Beat Battle (big influence on Junto)? It’s in its 261st week, and it’s a great one: http://t.co/W3PXB5KD #
- Yowza. The Disquiet Junto 1 one track away from its 500th track in 10 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Dear Hivemind: Is there a AAA version of the AA USB battery that USBCell makes? #
- Excellent reason to skip a week. RT @arbeemonkey: My new project is takin all my studio time, not sure I’ll submit for the 10th junto. #
- That premonition of typing on a keyboard becoming an antiquated practice. #
- Remembering Samuel Johnson’s emphasis on the weighting of words in drama has made me more empathetic toward emoticons. #
- If an email starts with my name there’s a 80% chance it’s from someone I don’t know; without my name: 80% chance it’s from someone I know. #
- Best bad-PR email of the week began “Dear [:name],” and second best began “Dear,” — but the week isn’t over yet. #
- RT @jbutlerjbutler: @disquiet Can we add sounds to our remix? [Yes. Additions are OK unless a specific project says they’re not.] #junto #
- Sole “new iPad” comment: Was hoping it’d be lighter. But I’m a 90lb weakling. Well, more like 155lbs, but still weakling. #
- RIP, Jimmy Ellis (b. 1937), lead singer of the Trammps, perhaps best known for “Disco Inferno”: http://t.co/QvaQ1zAp #
- Nice: @webbedhand + @mystified131 remixed a track by each other for the 10th Junto project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- RT @jbutlerjbutler @disquiet Looking forward to this Junto project…so much material to go through! [Hoping folks go back to a fave track.] #
- 10th Disquiet Junto project: remix track from previous project. Info in English/French/Spanish/Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Disquiet Junto project #10 announcement goes out via email and to the Soundcloud group Info page momentarily. #
- Instructions for the 10th Disquiet Junto, to be announced later today, will be in English, French, Spanish, and Turkish. #
- RIP, computer-graphics innovator Carl Machover (b. 1927), father of musician & MIT Media Lab figure Tod: http://t.co/aDY0IlsE #
- If you volunteered to translate Disquiet Junto instructions into French or Spanish (or another), could you shoot me an email or DM? Thanks. #
- The end of The Shield is so perfect, it should be watched not just as a lesson in ending a series, but in starting one. #
- If the word “selected” works then the word “curated” probably doesn’t. #
- The text equivalent of a stock photo. #
- Thanks, @swissnexSF, for hosting the game event last night. Krautscape was so beautiful it distracted me during conversations. #
- Thursday will start the 10th weekly Disquiet Junto. It’ll be an exercise in collective reflection. #
- Nanomalism. #
- “Oh, I know: Let’s release our new album to coincide with SXSW.” #
- Was on phone with @operafella yesterday when Tuesday noon siren rang. Held phone out window so he could enjoy. #
- Someone please explain to me that I should be more excited by @sfsymphony‘s 2012-13 modern works than I am http://t.co/a2DDFA5J #
- http://t.co/PUGLKmGE says $480 to close block so I can tape wind chime, or $150 for block party, which defeats purpose (via @markrushtoncom) #
- Wondering how much it would cost to have the police block off my block for a few hours so I could get a good tape of this wind chime. #
- In which I thank (http://t.co/x3jktxwX) the thoughtful @otolythe for this @hilobrow interview: http://t.co/5CevNhcI #
- Glad my neighbor across the street has a wind chime. I like it more than if I had a wind chime. Distance makes the ear fonder. #
- Great interview with my friend Charles Hatfield about academia, comics, and his new book (Hand of Fire) on Jack Kirby: http://t.co/3ZJDc2wv #
- 71 tracks this week. RT @benjamindauer: It’s Tuesday: time to visit the @SoundCloud Junto page & begin a fresh round of listening/comments. #
- RIP, songwriter Robert B. Sherman (b. 1925), whose work in the splendid “Theme Park Songs” Wikipedia category includes “It’s a Small World.” #
- Silence is seductive according to this sign at the SF Zoo. #415 #design http://t.co/larzJaHL #
- Today in “Fun with Doppler Shift”: sound of crying child riding carousel in San Francisco Zoo heard from outside the building #
- Yow. The @soundcloud podcast that covers Junto & Instagr/am/bient is 200 listens shy of 10,000: http://t.co/JGWMqeHB #
- 63 avian/guitar hybrids in Junto #9 project. With a little less 1/2 a day to go, an uptick in slide-guitar entries: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Definitely. I’m fine-tuning some ideas. RT @hecanjog: @disquiet any plans for a Junto that doesn’t require use of electronics? (beyond mics) #
- Pediatrician’s office is like 40-Part Motet, but with crying babies behind doors, rather than singers emanating from speakers. #
- The fog horns seem to have a little more pep this evening. #
- With more than a full day to go, already 51 guitar/birdsong pieces in the 9th Junto project: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Walked to my bookshelf and found my beloved The Star Wars Portfolio by Ralph McQuarrie (b. 1929). He died yesterday. (via @robotdancerobot) #
- Cross-species avian/guitar collaboration by @iamseams, who produced that great @soundcloud #junto podcast: http://t.co/bqBcOUeO #
- The room is electrical. It says so right on the door. #415 #richmonddistrict http://t.co/RI3ecAv8 #
- RIP, Robert R. McElroy (b. 1928), whose photographs documented the art Happenings of the 1950s and ’60s: http://t.co/52WDcr9k #
- The @soundcloud podcast by @iamseams about the Junto & Instagr/am/bient projects is nearing 8,000 listens in three days. #
- Note to @otolythe: the musician @markrushtoncom, who bowed out of the Junto to reflect on what he’d absorbed the first month, is back for #9 #
- Junto folk: freesound-dot-org is back online, but please use the links from the group’s info page for the source audio: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- The #netlabel list maintained by @dpnem is due for an update: http://t.co/tTZFsXam. He’s looking for additions, if you see anything missing. #
- Guess I meant “wordular” not “text/ural.” RT @alien_artifex: @disquiet every line of melody is ‘text’, too, even without words! 8-/ #
- Do the characters on Fringe have multiple versions of @SoundHound on their phones, or is there a single multiverse database? #
- Zagat must add a number to its rating system: DPC. That’s the average number of “devices per customer.” This cafe is 2.8. #
- Cover versions are so persistent in cafes, they are producing an alternate-universe history of pop music. #
- John Cage work at Crown Point Press in San Francisco. #415 http://t.co/edTFUdlx #
- Already 23 duets for acoustic guitar and bird song in this week’s Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/kel3Tiwn #
- I always think Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” is a lost track from Moby’s Play. #
- “If you’re not interested in the text, play an instrument”: soprano Patricia Racette in today’s @metopera quiz. #
- Title of the day: Director of Supernumeraries. The one from the @metopera is talking during the break in the Aida broadcast. #
- The @metopera play-by-play is a riot. Audience is giving standing o at intermission. Ovation inflation a symptom of our time. #
- Listening to @metopera on KDFC 90.3FM in San Francisco. Apparently my buddy @operafella is part of the Opera Quiz today. #
- Disquiet Junto update: 3 ways to download source audio for Project #9 (while freesound-dot-org is inconveniently down): http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Disquiet Junto update: 3 ways to download source audio for Project 0009 (while freesound-dot-org is inconveniently down). #
- Junto-samples update: freesound-dot-org still is down but I should have a working link to the 4 samples by 11am PST today. #
- Attention: Junto folk. The freesound-dot-org site is down. If anyone has the 4 samples available to share, please let me know. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0442 / One Sentence / The Assignment: Make music that explores the shape, tone, cadence, and content of a favorite section of prose or poetry.
• 0441 / Three Stones / The Assignment: Make music that explores territory sonically.
• 0440 / Tuning In / The Assignment: Dismantle the institution known as A440.
• 0439 / Hybrid Self / The Assignment: Compose music combining the styles of two musicians you admire.
• 0438 / Deep Plan / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music in which something special is situated at the very center.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 442 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
jet jaguar: "In a weird turn of events, my local library has a Synthstrom Deluge they lend and they asked me to make..."
Matthew Martin: "This was a great challenge, and my first time taking part in a Junto challenge. I really relished..."
Tristan Louth-Robins: "What an amazing instrument! I’ve signed up to the wait list… "
Tristan Louth-Robins: "Very interesting. Chris Watson’s shared many thoughts concerning this to-edit, to-not-edit..."
Shelton: "I want one! "