- Nothing says “punk rock” like a $22 bottle of wine. http://t.co/m0rA1p8e #
- Instagr/am/bient ended my dislike of Instagram. Instagram has apparently ended my dislike of symmetry: http://t.co/YHJS3hJc #
- Exterior speaker at Listening Gallery on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. http://t.co/F9Iq2Nr6 #
- “Song For Sleep”by J Butler is my new jam. ♫ http://t.co/05QxO3RO #
- Disquiet Junto project 11 has been posted at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. This week: record an everyday mechanical rhythm and make something of it. #
- I look at Comcast’s DVR remote and think, The person who designed this went home to his/her wife/husband/cat and said, “I really nailed it.” #
- Glad to be of assistance. RT @dianakimball: @disquiet I just played “junto” in a game of Scrabble vs. @sferik. A word I know thanks to you! #
- Having worked in manga for a half decade, I’m pleased to that this week’s Junto assignment will include a Japanese translation (by @naotko). #
- RT @naotko: #soundcloud @disquiet ã‚°ãƒ«ãƒ¼ãƒ—ã®é€±ä»£ã‚ã‚Šã®ãŠé¡Œã‚’æ—¥æœ¬èªžã«ç¿»è¨³ã—ã¦ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ã‚µã‚¦ãƒ³ãƒ‰ãƒ‡ã‚¶ã‚¤ãƒ³ã«èˆˆå‘³ã®ã‚ã‚‹æ–¹ã¯ãµã‚‹ã£ã¦ã”å‚åŠ ãã ã•ã„ã€‚æ—¥æœ¬èªžã§ã®è³ªå•ã€ãŠå•ã„åˆã‚ã›ã¯ã¤ãªãŽã¾ã™ã®ã§ãŠæ°—è»½ã«ãƒªãƒ—ãƒ©ã‚¤ãã ã•ã„ã€‚ #junto11th#
- Artifact. #software http://t.co/tCaSdy85 #
- The http://t.co/JGWMqeHB podcast about Disquiet Junto & Instagr/am/bient is 50 listens shy of 13,000 (in just 13 days). #
- Disquiet Junto volunteer translators just got the next project so they can translate the text. If you’re up to help translate, let me know. #
- RIP, Haitian vodou drummer Frisner Augustin (b. 1948). http://t.co/QgyZT5jz #
- Miami TV geography: residences = Dexter, freeways = CSI, pedestrian malls = Burn Notice. The waterways are filmic, Miami Vice specifically. #
- Talk about horse power, the Kawasaki motorcycle idling next to us sounds like the Lone Ranger theme. #
- 1937 short wave receiver from the Wolfsonian. #miamibeach http://t.co/S120cFZn #
- Entry sticker from the Wolfsonian. #miamibeach http://t.co/euArz3Jj #
- For the record, I love the Wolfsonian Museum in Miami Beach. #
- Constraint breeds constraint. @hecanjog: I ended up using a self-imposed restraint: oldest track w/ least comments & plays I could find! #
- Plans are coming together for a live Disquiet Junto show in Chicago on April 19. #
- The death rattle of dry palm fronds. #561 http://t.co/BQ9VVjLg #
- The names of nature preserves in Florida sound like William Faulkner theme parks. #
- My kid was overtired after the flight. I sang a lullaby so slow, my heartbeat interrupted held notes like LP dust cycling under a needle. #
- Wonderful to see folk commenting on @otolythe‘s interview with me about Disquiet sound/music projects: http://t.co/5CevNhcI (see bottom) #
- Anything sound-art-ish going on in galleries in/near Miami right now? Looks like I’m going to be there much of the coming week. #
- Great comment by @GuyBirkin regarding Junto 10 and the irony of “overchoice” in a system dedicated to “constraint”: http://t.co/jJaWnuw7 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0465 / You Thank / The Assignment: Make a piece of music for someone or something for which you feel thankful.
• 0464 / Blanket Song / The Assignment: Play over a song, and then remove the original.
• 0463 / Making the Gradient / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the concept of a gradient.
• 0462 / Vade in Pace / The Assignment: Write a short piece of music that gets slower and slower as it proceeds.
• 0461 / Goldilocks Zone / The Assignment: Navigate a sonic space between the hospitable and the inhospitable.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 465 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments