- RIP, David Waltz (b. 1943), Thinking Machines alum and AI figure: http://t.co/n63VNFWU #
- RIP, Eric Watson (b. 1955), photo Boswell to the Pet Shop Boys http://t.co/33SbnKWX + http://t.co/kJ3r5xAJ (via @compactrobot) #
- Apparently @BettinaTizzy and @ooray will be in that line. in reply to BettinaTizzy #
- When you get to heaven, your place in line is determined by how many “This was done before” comments you’ve left on blog posts. #
- If the New York Times wants to limit me to 10 articles, I’d like to limit it to 2 sports-related “breaking news” email alerts a month. #
- The @wildUp Shostakovich stems for next week’s Junto (3/29) are beauts. No isolation. Just degrees of section prominence. Chamber Rashomon. #
- It’s gonna be good. RT @lownote: So excited to hear about upcoming junto project involving stems of Shostakovich from @wildUp. #
- RT @cinchel: classical nerds, next @disquiet #junto will be remixing http://t.co/sC7YTu6z Shostakovich spread the word /cc @craftyflutist #
- Disquiet Junto #12 (Alternate Rurality) has gone to the email list, and is posted at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. #cutpaste #rural #sample #oumupo #
- [email protected] likes my hood: RT “The view from the @deYoungMuseum tower is absolument magnifique! #iLoveSanFrancisco http://t.co/m4CgpI0p" #
- First time hearing “How Will I Know” since Whitney died. So vibrant. She imitates a pre-teen Michael Jackson imitating a mature soul woman. #
- Gotta love @guardian “other lives” obits. One from this week on a man whose work involved Britten & Shostakovich: http://t.co/ZDZaKIL8 #
- Junto instructions will be in English, Czech, French, Japanese & Turkish. It’s a shared-sample project focused on cut’n’paste & rural music. #
- Bwah, I meant Czech, not Croatian! (Humbly, cc @kocicenka @dizzybanjo.) in reply to kocicenka #
- Disquiet Junto instructions later today will be in several languages … including Croatian. (Thanks, @kocicenka, @dizzybanjo.) #
- New York Times should gate free access by word count, not article. The “song” count for iPod data size never made sense. #
- Dear iPad Hive: What app do you use to take notes on/about websites you’re reading? #
- #outreach March 29 Junto will involve chamber-music source material. Please inform any classical musicians who may want to remix with us. #
- EP I wrote liner note for made @bcstaffpicks list: “Delicate, hypnotic ambient from @quietdesign and @mapmap” –Leigh http://t.co/ExiWlSic #
- There’s a petition to put Turing on the Â£10 note. Forgery assessment would mean a whole new Turing test. http://t.co/6DwmG61Z #
- Junto project 12 has gone to translators. If you want to translate, get in touch. If you want on the email announcement list, get in touch. #
- Honored. RT @barrythrew: @disquiet you are one of my main harbingers of death. #
- The next Disquiet Junto project will be a dual exercise in (1) cut and paste and (2) contrasting “rural” music sensibilities. #
- Forthcoming Disquiet Junto projects include: classical textures, program music, software apps, and video scores. #
- RIP, anime’s Haruka Takachiho (b. 1938): Nue co-founder; director of Space Battleship Yamato & first color Astro Boy: http://t.co/JaHZmdsx #
- “the HTML5 <audio> tag is not exactly ready to meet our expectations.” #truth thinking: https://t.co/6ZPbq9v1 action: http://t.co/SOghQLRs #
- Of the first 11 Junto projects, #11 may be the one that would make a fine standalone album: everyday noise as rhythm: http://t.co/5pTbofVI #
- For the previous Junto, @m_emre_meydan went to town: beautiful track built atop rhythm of bicycle wheel: http://t.co/XMK0WZys With video! #
- If you’re in Cologne this Saturday (3/24), @alln4tural will be playing Junto tracks at his gig: http://t.co/FbEZA7aN http://t.co/4nlpe2QL #
- I’ll say this about @FreeConference: someone there figured out that non-annoying hold music is part of the product. #kudos #
- RIP, Tonino Guerra (b. 1920), cowriter of Antonioni’s Blowup, Zabriskie Point, L’Avventura; Fellini’s Amarcord; Tarkovsky’s Nostalghia. #
- So, @pheezy got to meet @mapmap and @ooray last week, and I met @ooray this week, so when do I get to meet @mapmap? #
- Meetings over, now listening to new Prong song. Oddly poppy. Like, if Slayer were a pop band. Nice to hear Tommy Victor’s voice again. #
- Prong debuts first song off its new album just as I am walking into a long meeting. #
- D’oh. Clarification. RT @mapmap: @disquiet Quick note: not a kalimba, exposed guts of a toy piano. Looks/sounds kind of like one though #
- When the rain comes, we run and record a sound bed: http://t.co/0Xn1vWRs #
- Anyone especially excited by a particular music-making iOS app lately. I need a new space to fiddle about in on my iPad. #
- 36 Junto entries as midnight hour nears. Great variety, all tracks made using everyday mechanical rhythms as beats: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Music from inkjet printer: http://t.co/bgY4vZm0 by new participant Ryan Abbott (of Tacoma), the Junto’s 150th active member #
- The Internet feels slow today, perhaps due to the mental image of new-iPad owners lapping up retina-intense data. #
- User-registration Turing test at vinylengineDOTcom: “What are the missing letters in this word – Phono Car****ge?” #
- Among the mechanical sounds employed so far in this week’s Junto: timer, escalator, door, potato slicer, microwave beep http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Sang Davies’ “Sunny Afternoon” to my kid. Is the girl who’s “gone back to her ma and pa” the one who leaves them in Gershwin’s “Summertime”? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
• 0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
• 0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.