- Thanks to @SactownMagazine‘s new website my old interview with Pakistan-born rapper Bohemia is now online: http://t.co/rogKjZQh #
- Interviewed Morton Subotnik and Tommy Victor (of Prong) in the same afternoon. I love the 21st century. #
- The Disquiet Junto instruction email last night went into some people’s spam folders. Project is here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- What he said. RT @Chegreco 14e Junto du merveilleux Disquiet sera un bel Â« excercice de style Â» musical | Oulipo Â¬ Oubapo Â¬ Oumupo | #
- #junto I love it. Bonus points for 99-second entries. RT @mmaddencomics none of this 2-7 minutes mollycoddling: It’s 99 seconds or nothing! #
- The 14th Disquiet Junto is a sonic-narrative rendition of @mmaddencomics‘ 99 Ways to Tell a Story: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- 14th Disquiet Junto project instructions went out to email list. No translations right now (I was traveling), but we may have some shortly. #
- Now: tunnel remix of aforementioned quasi-monophonic lofi surround sound version of public radio. With playful honking. #
- Stuck in traffic. Public-radio broadcasts coming from multiple slow-moving vehicles. An automotive 40 Part Motet. #
- The 14th weekly Disquiet Junto assignment goes out shortly. This week it’s “sonic narrative.” (Next week it’s “color theory.”) #
- Dear @googl: It’d be excellent if a field could be added to allow for a line-item description of a given link. #
- When is Reference Librarian Appreciation Day? #
- Did graphic designer of CPR book consciously feed off anxiety of Barbara Kruger typography? http://t.co/EBv8c8ej #
- RIP, the man synonymous with the amplifier, Jim Marshall (b. 1923) of Marshall Amps: http://t.co/PXdIKco3 #
- At Apple Store person asked for Mac Counter to meet up with friend. Employee explained this is the Genius Bar; Mac Counter is another place. #
- Graphics for @PropellerheadSW app Figure resemble Josef Albers’ album covers, don’t they? http://t.co/6seMNU8H (via @pheezy) #
- Back home from LA. Familiar sounds: refrigerator drone, electrical whine, a particular nearing-midnight pace to traffic. #
- My 19-month-old just talked with me on the phone for the first time. Apparently this ended with peering deep inside the phone. #
- At the Theme Building at LAX. #
- If you have two instances of same program open in different Desktops in OS X Lion, Command Tab doesn’t distinguish them. #grumble #
- First ever Disquiet Junto concert scheduled for April 19 in Chicago. Details to follow as date approaches. #
- Disquiet Junto this week will be sonic narrative, diving headlong into Oulipo. (Color-theory held off for plan refinement.) #
- You send a note to a company’s help request, and you get a reply from someone you know. #
- The hotel room is less Scylla and Charybdis than refrigerator drone and elevator rumble. #
- MC Escher designed the topography of downtown Los Angeles. #
- Pretty happy with Android version of Instagram, except it says some recent photos too small to publish. Maybe they are. #
- Next Junto: color theory. Future Juntos: video underscore, sonic narrative, app deployment, pixel blues. #
- Major thanks, @wildUp @orionrountree @mlaffs, for the Shostakovich source audio for the past week’s project. About 65 remixers participated. #
- A couple hours to midnight, we’re at 60 (or 62, depending on search return exigencies) @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes. #
- This Monolake song is first time I’ve set a song as “my new jam” that actually feels like “my new jam” and not just “here’s something good.” #
- “Afterglow”by Monolake is my new jam. ♫ http://t.co/7YyFkcLJ #
- I like that take. RT @HXDK: listening to this week’s @disquiet #junto feeling a Soviet science fiction soundtrack vibe in a lot of them. in reply to HXDK #
- Back from day on town with my 19-month-old to find 57 (!) remixes in the @wildUp Shostakovich Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 @daysnotover #
- Monolake: Ghosts: Afterglow. On repeat. #
- Realizing I will be at about 35,000 feet on way toward L.A. tomorrow when the Tuesday noon siren occurs. #
- Now 45 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes. Loving @djkaboodle‘s machinations: djkaboodle and 1st-timer @brokenhours‘ http://t.co/ssbJOXT2. #
- Now 2 shy of 40 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes, and there’s still a day and a quarter left; either 3 or 4 first-timers too. #
- 6:00pm bells, consumed by passing jet engine. #
- The guilt of enjoying the resonance of a distant siren knowing somewhere for someone else the same sense of distance is a cause for alarm. #
- What he said. RT @DETXL: Observing the world with noise-isolating earphones is bizarre. People open their mouths, and Philip Glass comes out #
- Woke to find we’re now just 1 remix shy of 30 in the @wildup Shostakovich Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. Plenty of fine morning listens. #
- I try to watch a commercial on YouTube but it forces me to watch another one first. Someday it’ll show the commercial I want to watch twice. #
- 1 shy of 20th @wildup Shostakovich Junto remix. Latest: Chiara Zedek of Brooklyn; Linda Aubry Bullock of Cambridge, MA: http://t.co/1JOZV3wt #
- I think the people at Apple who work on Mission Control and the people who handle CTRL-tab aren’t on speaking terms. #
- Many thanks to @chutson99 for the amazing Shostakovich stencil at top of this post: http://t.co/WCcUKtJv. Cc @wildUp @mlaffs in reply to chutson99 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0465 / You Thank / The Assignment: Make a piece of music for someone or something for which you feel thankful.
• 0464 / Blanket Song / The Assignment: Play over a song, and then remove the original.
• 0463 / Making the Gradient / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the concept of a gradient.
• 0462 / Vade in Pace / The Assignment: Write a short piece of music that gets slower and slower as it proceeds.
• 0461 / Goldilocks Zone / The Assignment: Navigate a sonic space between the hospitable and the inhospitable.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 465 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments