- Patch Cordury #noisekidbooks #
- Video of Grzegorz (@etalabel) Bojanek’s sound-generation process for Junto 15 (“RGB Interaction”): http://t.co/VlPluvXV #
- Got a Jambox. Gonna head home and listen to the new Junto entries on it. #
- The @Le_Berger interpretation of color-as-sound for Junto 15 is even more witty than I had imagined it might be: http://t.co/d1rvNRPR #
- Writing for @salvagione is a pleasure. #
- Man, @echosonic http://t.co/laUyp7lv & @mystified131 http://t.co/x67DesU7 dove deep with their color-as-sound ideas in Junto project 15. #
- Nothing about writing about what you wrote about to focus the mind. #
- Curious George Gets Pink Floyd’s Meddle #noisekidbooks #
- Goodnight Moondog #noisekidbooks #
- Harold Budd and the Purple Crayon #noisekidbooks #
- Heard something tonight one doesn’t often in San Francisco: thunder. As an East Coast kid, I was happy. My kid just went, Woah. #
- 15th weekly Disquiet Junto begins: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Create 3 sounds representing RGB. Create a piece of music in which they interact. #
- 15th weekly Disquiet Junto project just went out to the email list. If you didn’t get it, lemme know. (Definitely check your spam folder.) #
- Sonic Color Theory #
- 15th weekly Disquiet Junto project going out shortly. Theme: “color theory.” #
- 19-month-old repeats everything. “Milk”? Check. “Toy”? Check. “Repeat”? Check. “Copy”? Check. “Meta”? Check. “Boogaloo”? Check. #
- Google Doc for names of child’s numerous stuffed animals. #
- Each day I learn something. Today: how to set a keyboard shortcut on a Mac to make Word go full screen. #
- To Whom It May Concern: I received your email about the album with download link and no descriptive text. Will proceed accordingly. #
- Best thing about writing for @NewMusicBox about @SoundCloud? The intended readership is musicians. http://t.co/qVHNvt56 #
- I interviewed Prong about industrial music past and present: http://t.co/p8qYYMAh Bummer: my favorite song isn’t on their hits compilation. #
- RIP, personal-computing pioneer Jack Tramiel (b. 1927), founder of Commodore, acquirer of Atari: http://t.co/nlw6hIyD #
- Back in love with my (Android) phone. Got my calendar and a little sticky-style note on the home screen; tethering works well. #
- I wish @MillsCollege would stream its noon concerts. #
- RIP, Barbara Buchholz (b. 1959), Theremin virtuoso: http://t.co/OqOPB2AL http://t.co/GEQhCdjD #
- Hey, iPad app-hounds: any recommended way to use your laptop’s keyboard (via, say, Bluetooth) to type on your iPad? #
- Tuesday noon siren in the light rain, a resounding corridor of sequential echoes. #
- Recommended listening while reading news stories about Facebook’s purchase of Instagram: http://t.co/vgxaQCya #
- Junto’s sonic-narrative project, retelling @mmaddencomics‘ 99 Ways comic in audio, has had its 21st entry http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- What he said. RT @naotko ã‚ãƒ¼ã“ã‚Œã¯é¢ç™½ã‹ã£ãŸã€‚è„šæœ¬ã‹ã‚‰ã‚µã‚¦ãƒ³ãƒ‰è§£é‡ˆã®ã‚¯ãƒƒã‚·ãƒ§ãƒ³ã‚’æŒŸã‚“ã æ–¹ãŒæ˜ åƒå–šèµ·åŠ›ãŒã™ã”ã„ã€‚@disquiet #junto14 http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- PS: You can subscribe to the monthly Disquiet email list from just about any page of the site. It’s doing well. Over 1,200 subscribers. #
- Got my copies of @JohnKannenberg‘s exhibit catalog with my foreword. Beautiful. I’ll give a copy away in the next Disquiet email newsletter. #
- The @echosonic take on @mmaddencomics‘ strip used Audiopaint to turn each panel into sound http://t.co/QAPheWnj. And it’s 99 seconds. #junto #
- I love how the waveform of @TheValiska‘s piece shows panel divisions in @mmaddencomics‘ original strip: http://t.co/5Uv84iDM #
- Another good Fringe episode. How is it suddenly good again? Lee/Olivia-prime bonding while missing Lee-prime/Olivia? Splendid. #
- First four sonic-narrative versions of @mmaddencomics‘ great 99 Ways to Tell a Story now live: http://t.co/1JOZV3wt #oulipo #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• I was on Vivian Host's Peak Time show (on Red Bull Radio) on March 11 to extol the timeless virtues of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II, and related works. You can listen to a recording here: redbullradio.com.
• My latest article is a review in the March issue of The Wire magazine of the week-long Recombinant Festival (held in San Francisco), whose performance highlights included Herman Kolgen, Rrose, and Electric Indigo.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at noon on Friday at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events (Friday and Saturday) in San Francisco: aaassembly.org. The talk is titled "The Woodshed Is a Black Box" and this is its description in the program: "How a rules-based system formed, shapes, and fuels the long-running online music community known as the Disquiet Junto."
• May 7, 2019: This day sees the release of Rob Walker's book The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday (Knopf), which has entries about the Disquiet Junto.
• May 22, 2019: Final day of the semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I post occasional updates here. Follow the tag #sounds-of-brands.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Spanish (2018) and Japanese (2019).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0377 / Algorithms Assemble / The Assignment: Have fun with rules applied to scales, in coordination with the Algorithmic Art Assembly.
• 0376 / Pi Filling / The Assignment: Celebrate Pi Day.
• 0375 / Despite Yourself / The Assignment: Make a piece of music that sounds as unlike you as you can accomplish.
• 0374 / Glitch Glitch / The Assignment: what happens when you glitch something that's been glitched?
• 0373 / Copernican Music / The Assignment: Record a piece of music intended for an alien species.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 377 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
Thomas Now: "A bit sad that Oval has become the “solo act”, as IMHO, it has reached its peak as a..."
John Paul Kostecki: "❤️ "
Stephen Vitiello: "thank you Marc! "
Andrew Culture: "I now wish I had seen Buster Scruggs at the cinema, although I’m not sure it ever got a..."
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "