- Spending the day just me and my 20-month-old. Will be wandering around @artmrkt, among other places. #
- Four more now: @nodebeat + (1) keyboard, (2) Moog Slim Phatty, (3) drone pad, and (4) piano: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- My one regret about my Macbook Air is I shoulda gone with the larger harddrive. Didn’t realize at the time it’d become my core computer. #
- All in all, I got a brick in the mail from @primusluta. #
- The first three @NodeBeat Disquiet Junto pieces pair the mobile sound app with a ukulele, a guzheng, and a sitar: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- You’re a dreamer. RT @mmaddencomics: “There’s some very thoughtful dubstep behind this blog”; “Wiley revitalizes curating on his new single” #
- 1st @NodeBeat track in latest Disquiet Junto project is up, courtesy of @ethanhein + his processed ukulele http://t.co/Iny6uyLO #
- “It’s refreshing to hear a curate track that doesn’t have a drop.” “They’re hiring someone to dubstep a blog of found objects.” #
- Perfect. RT @primusluta: Headed out to this gallery my friend dubstepped. Hopefully there’ll be wine and good headnoding curation. #
- “That new Burial remix is true curate.” “I’m dubstepping 18th-century leather wallets on my Tumblr.” #
- The words “dubstep” and “curate” are so overused, we should just use them interchangeably. #
- Not a speaker. (Bathroom fan.) http://t.co/ICf6NrGN #
- Blade Runner 2: The Batty Rises #bladerunner2titles #
- Instructions for current Disquiet Junto, involving the great @NodeBeat app, available in English, Spanish, and Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Discussion about best way to record from sound apps, including @nodebeat: http://t.co/WRFtIOta #
- Blade Runner 2: You Don’t Know Dick #bladerunner2titles #
- Blade Runner 2: No You Replicant #bladerunner2titles #
- The 20th weekly Disquiet Junto project instructions are now live: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Instructions for the 20th Disquiet Junto, which employs the @NodeBeat app, going out shortly. Email list is at http://t.co/f2aaVTe0. #
- Belated (my kid’s on spring break from daycare) RIP: disco’s Donna Summer (b. 1948), go-go’s Chuck Brown (b. 1936). #
- Instructions will be out shortly but in meanwhile Disquiet Junto regulars test-drive @nodebeat: http://t.co/0pPXoQBk http://t.co/pUq3qMP4 #
- Few more hours until instructions to 20th weekly Disquiet Junto project go out. This week: creative restraints of a mobile app (@nodebeat). #
- Reminder: I have free download codes for @NodeBeat iOS app, the focus of the 20th Disquiet Junto project, due for announcement later today. #
- I miss http://t.co/OIi75NEu. #
- Sent an email out earlier to the Disquiet Junto email list. I mention this since they often end up in spam folders. #
- Paging @robsheff @mrgavinedwards @tedfriedman @juliandibbell: Cutler’s is closing: http://t.co/noe5ZMiM #
- Great moments in education. RT @xeni: YOU GUYS. Go-Go is not the Go-Gos. Go-Go is not go-go dancing. Go-Go is, was, DC, Chuck Brown … #
- NodeBeat: free in Flash; under 4 bucks otherwise. I have 50 free iOS codes (half iPhone/Touch, half iPad). Will go first to Junto regulars. #
- The 20th Disquiet Junto will employ the app NodeBeat, available for iOS, Android, Blackberry and (with limited functionality) Flash. #
- Gonna announce the app that the 20th Junto is based on early, so that folks can have time to come up to speed on it, or at least install it. #
- 20th Disquiet Junto is about mobile apps. … Forthcoming projects: animation, storytelling, electricity, water, performance, the blues. #
- RIP, Bruno Mauro, of Ampersand International Arts, the fine San Francisco art gallery. Via http://t.co/ahTaaCxT. #
- Seriously can’t believe we’re about to do the 20th (!) weekly Disquiet Junto project. Just amazing: 849 tracks by 190 musicians in 19 weeks. #
- Disquiet Junto 20 project going out to translators shortly. Have: Czech/Turkish/Japanese/Spanish/French. Want: Korean, Chinese, others. #
- I know it’s 2012 and all, but there’s still a certain frisson to receiving raw code in body of an email as part of a reply to a job opening. #
- Fundamentals of Respiratory Care and Zombies. #
- Steve Jobs bust addendum: Collector only spoke Chinese. Someone at restaurant helped me explain the hobby shop across the street has glue. #
- Guy at lunch had box on table. When bill came he accidentally pushed it off the table. Opened it to reveal broken porcelain Steve Jobs bust. #
- Guy in cafe did not have a holster. It was an empty Baby Bjorn under his windbreaker. #
- My browser has so many favicon-emblazoned tabs open, it looks like I’ve installed the Nascar extension. #
- RT @cinchel: @disquiet ooh..glad there is an Android app. [This is the first app-based Disquiet Junto. I wanted it catholic/cross-platform.] #
- RT @gregsurges: @disquiet What app is it? [I’m going to wait until later tonight or tomorrow to announce the app.] #
- Disquiet Junto 20 launches maÃ±ana. I have 25 free iPhone/Touch & 25 free iPad codes. Android app costs $2. Limited desktop version is free. #
- Scent-infused Vessels from Paolo Salvagione’s current Headlands exhibit. http://t.co/vhzuoCbr #
- Hoping robots gain sentience soon so they can demand that USB-host support for all gadgets is a right not a privilege. #
- In OS X, the menubar for “mute” is speaker w/o image of sound coming out, but the screen image is of speaker with slash through it. Discuss. #
- Interested in this gang-written book (including @ibogost) on “the way computer programs exist in culture”: http://t.co/Pw8rcBCw #
- Great interview this morning with Monolake. Much to reflect on: installations, recording, software, art, teaching, 3D, business, programming #
- Humor of being on email list for org famed for new-media tech, yet it’s the same old everyone-requesting-unsubscription pileup. #
- Successfully guessed someone’s cafe location based on music they’d tweeted. #geoshazam #
- Increasingly enthused for next Disquiet Junto project. It’s the 20th week in a row, and the first to focus on a mobile app. #
- Indeedy. RT @cinchel: i know @disquiet was excited about Disquiet0013-wildup but the interpretations of photo are great http://t.co/NLmiA4Gn #
- Suspicious about uptick in emails from SoundCloud users. Probably just passed a “followers threshold” but wondering about automation/PR. #
- Tuesday noon siren while listening to conference-call hold music. #
- Interviewing Monolake tomorrow. If you have questions lemme know. My previous interview (c. 2004) here: http://t.co/vqUTBsJk #
- This London-based crew the Grind http://t.co/VBvgCc0u remind me favorably of Tommy Guerrero in his home-studio tinkerer mode. #
- Museum in Tasmania provides visitors with iPod Touch containing exhibit-specific music: http://t.co/N6KaP7sX #
- This Thursday’s Disquiet Junto project will be No. 20. The theme is everyone employing (roughly) the same software application. #
- About half a day left in the 19th Disquiet Junto. So far, 24 tremendous interpretations of a photo as a graphic score: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Can’t wait to hear. RT @arbeemonkey: finally found the twist I want to use for this week’ Junto. Will try to execute my idea before deadline #
- Mallets, pipes, and shadows at kids’ sound sculptures at Dolores Park. http://t.co/MLR0NG7I #
- Xylophone for kids at Dolores Park. #415 http://t.co/fFNDppAv #
- RIP, Donald “Duck” Dunn (b. 1941), bassist in Booker T and the MGs, and on countless Stax sessions. #
- It appears that @orenambarchi has joined Twitter. #
- Photography-as-score: Already 13 Junto musical interpretations (at http://t.co/lSzqLIp5) of Yojiro Imasaka’s photo (at http://t.co/bLprwyAs) #
- Repeat tweet: Graphic notation background for folks in current Disquiet Junto http://t.co/gOohgvS5 http://t.co/qTwGQPeK http://t.co/wkbvGvcN #
- Not a speaker. (First in a likely series.) http://t.co/yV63yaFM #
- Serious sound-art opening with fish-fry contact-mic performance tonight @Parklifesf #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0494 / Insect Menagerie / The Assignment: Record a 20-second clip of the sounds of an insect that you yourself have invented.
• 0493 / AudioCorrect / The Assignment: Think about the utility and the useful failures inherent in autocorrect and apply this to your music.
• 0492 / Kintsugi Rework / The Assignment: Employ the Japanese technique of mending broken ceramics as a metaphor for remixing.
• 0491 / Footsteps Sequencer / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured upon a walk through your home.
• 0490 / In Conversation / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured like dialog.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 494 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments