- RIP, soprano Evelyn Lear (b. 1926), acclaimed interpreter of Alban Berg: http://t.co/QPq7kh1A #
- Bonus: along with https://disquiet.com being newly mobile/tablet-responsive, comments will be a whole lot tidier. Likely live this weekend. #
- Blogger’s Remorse: Is a separate topic-specific @tumblr necessary, or should it just be a tag on your existing site? #
- Super close to mobile/tablet-optimized https://disquiet.com. (Main site looks the same. Changes are all about device-based responsiveness.) #
- New @tumblr I’ve got going, collecting links re: the “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” class I’m teaching: http://t.co/Fjk1qo9m #
- Filed article with British magazine on the Fourth of July. Felt vaguely traitorous. #
- The 27th Disquiet Junto project instructions have gone to the email list + are live at the @soundcloud page http://t.co/IjQw7mvf #
- Lesson from last night about fireworks and perception: loudness doesn’t equal proximity; detail equals proximity. #
- Indeed. LED fireworks: world’s first reusable. RT @ioflow: @disquiet nah, LED fireworks are The New Thing. #
- Outboard-brain side-project related to “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” class I’m teaching: http://t.co/Fjk1qo9m. #
- These new CFL fireworks are cool, but I miss the incandescent ones. #
- The music to the new Spider-Man makes Prometheus seem subtle. That said, the use of voices in the score is interesting, if not enjoyable. #
- Fascinating site about cicada songs, the transnational anthem of electronic music: cicadasong.eu. #
- Great interview (and splendidly shot) with Steve Reich on influences on his work: http://t.co/3vIGp5AH. #
- The 27th weekly @djunto project will be about interpreting a text file as sound. #
- Looking at Fireworks (Waveforms): http://t.co/U5DxMVOn #
- Chinese Red Glare & Blare: http://t.co/hKplrUq9 #
- The Music of Fireworks: http://t.co/4Ycnqc0H #
- The mixture of enthusiasm and solitude that is the July 3 firework. #
- History of my listening goes from what’s my favorite song to what’s my favorite album to what’s my favorite appliance. NP: washing machine. #
- Looking forward to moderating panel discussion on “Alternative Musical Interfaces” @gaffta on 9/19 (7pm): http://t.co/g8Z8RMEY #
- 48 minutes of music made by 15 musicians in 4 days from samples of trash: https://t.co/7W9pd5rt #
- Tuesday noon siren peculiarly loud on a bright, clear-sky day. #
- “‘Spider-Man’ feels like one of those unnecessary software versions, more Spider-Man 1.5” says Manohla Dargis. I agree, and I dug 500 Days. #
- If my tweets are especially off later today, it may be because I saw the midnight Spider-man. #
- Eight musicians now confirmed for the August 19 Disquiet Junto concert in Denver. #
- More details on the class I’m teaching this autumn at @academy_of_art: http://t.co/D4D3h3zZ #
- Sound-art PTSD. MT @qDot: After living between stacks of cardboard boxes while moving, gonna take a while to appreciate Zimoun again. #
- 1/2 hour of music by 10 musicians made of sounds sampled from items found in their garbage (and one trip to the dump): https://t.co/7W9pd5rt #
- Glad the http://t.co/brhasUxl netlabel is back. Two tracks posted last month, the first since November. #
- Briefly concerned when I saw unfamiliar icon in one of my backup programs. Then realized what the icon meant: done uploading. #
- Excuse me, it’s with Christof Migone. http://t.co/Lqgv0GL6 #mars #soundart #bradbury #
- My interview with sound artist Christoph Migone about listening to Ray Bradbury’s Mars: http://t.co/hSQu3yBf #
- Looking like December 6 for the San Francisco Disquiet Junto concert. #
- Not a speaker. (Older variation on sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/8hiGwuw4 #
- Not a speaker. (Sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/XgQhB3Rm #
- I love when Facebook reminds me of a netlabel’s birthday because of how the account was set up. (“Record labels are people.”) #
- Pretty impressive that Transformers 3 couldn’t get three sentences in without a grammatical error in the narration. #
- For @djunto #26 stijnh shot his garbage mid-sample: http://t.co/lIZJ6Xah #
- Mostly for @artofplanning: Has Shepard Fairey done anything that looks less like he’s done it? Rolling Stones logo: http://t.co/3iEF4ihl #
- Guy next to me at café is like the Keith Jarrett of writers. He’s read out loud quietly as he typed on his laptop all day. #
- Now 7 musicians confirmed for the Disquiet Junto (@djunto) show in Denver on August 19. Almost certainly more to come. #
- Waiting for Google++ #
- Inlet went extra mile for current @djunto sonic recycling project, sampling sounds of local dump: https://t.co/kuxXSSE0. #
- Concert is 8/19 in Denver. MT @vuzhmusic: Confirmed @djunto lineup so far: @c_yantis @mysterybear @falsereactions @tenandtracer and yrs trly #
- For one day only 4’33” will be 4’34” (http://t.co/pCUGh7en) #
- Looks like the mobile/tablet-optimized http://t.co/xdF1T26R should be live pretty soon. Clean, size-responsive formatting. #
- Found Yegorova’s Artemiev book behind Marclay’s Shuffle box and between books by Cardiff and Kurzweil. I need to diversify my diet. #
- Afternoon listening: the “Train” track from Artemiev’s score to Tarkovsky’s Stalker: http://t.co/o0y1HplR #dyer #zona #
- Initial thoughts about Geoff Dyer’s engrossing book about Andrei Tarkovsky’s movie Stalker: http://t.co/2LqxmdP1 #
- Remains convinced that Stalker will be remade with Jason Statham in the lead role. #
- Best thing about 3rd book in Mira Grant’s great trilogy of zombie novels is moral parallel it draws between zombies & clones. #
- Geoff Emerick’s memoir about recording the Beatles in the 1960s is unintentionally the best book about how manga is made today. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.