- Halfway through Scalzi’s Redshirts, I pull up Netflix and find the complete Star Trek animated series is streaming. #
- I don’t live there anymore, but someone’s staring a new comic store in my hometown: http://t.co/qzPOuY6e Cc @escapepodcomics #
- If memory serves it was in Feb (aka V-day) issue. MT @mmaddencomics: Via @jccabel, rare collaboration between me n wife http://t.co/vWTAE3zi #
- RIP, Norman Sas (b. 1925), inventor of electric football, progenitor of video games: http://t.co/2unmjHB0 #
- Thanks @dpnem for inspiring this week’s Disquiet Junto project. Details just went to the email list & are available at http://t.co/QNC4M2Ql #
- Details on 28th (!) weekly Disquiet Junto go out shortly. Themes: #netlabel #remix #creativecommons (Apologies for the delay.) #
- Woo hoo! That USB light item I chipped in on at @kickstarter made its goal. In three days, at that: http://t.co/fsWfgK92 #
- Has no memory of the first Total Recall being particularly good. #
- It was, indeed, nice to wake to my Dropbox account having doubled in size. #
- Apparently one benefit of playing a harp in a waiting room is the ability to take bathroom breaks without fear of someone stealing it. #
- Be safe, comrade. MT @DETXL: When I put my bike helmet to my ear I can hear the ocean! And an eerie whisper that portends manner of my death #
- A bit more on the “alternative musical interfaces” panel I’ll moderate @gaffta on Sept 19: http://t.co/hVGVjdyB #
- Mobile/tablet-responsive http://t.co/Yh8y3liM now live. If you have a chance, give it a go. I’ll post an overview in the next day or so. #
- Missed the noon siren today in San Francisco, but enjoying the 5pm digital carillon at Sonoma State. #
- It’s about time. MT @stephentotilo: Going forward, Kotaku writers will pen the majority of the gaming reviews in the @nytimes Arts section. #
- The Internet has been a whole lot less eerie since I installed Do Not Track Plus in Chrome. #
- Whatever you’re listening to on your Mac, the second you start taking screenshots it automatically becomes Duran Duran’s “Girls on Film.” #
- I’d like to see a sonic version of this, by the way: http://t.co/fsWfgK92. Or hear it, that is. #
- Just @kickstarter‘d this USB light ping, per @pheezy‘s tip. It’s USB version of the in-glasses thing I hoped for 2 weeks ago. #
- The DC Comics email list appears to have sent out news of a Singin’ in the Rain 60th anniversary event. Corporate synergy. #
- RIP, British saxophonist Lol Coxhill (b. 1932): http://t.co/hXydP5rz #
- Received email spam from the account of a friend who died a year ago. #
- Keeping http://t.co/Fjk1qo9m on its own. Durex/Spotify playlists seem off http://t.co/Yh8y3liM’s charter. Will re-blog key items. #
- Mobile/tablet-friendly responsive version of http://t.co/Yh8y3liM is now in effect. There are some kinks to work out, but it’s pretty close. #
- My 22-month-old counting: “1, 2, 3, 7, 1, 1.” It’s the Toddler Conet Project. #
- At the Crocker seeing the Mel Ramos exhibit for the first time since Sactown Magazine published my lengthy interview. #
- Was the third Transformers film an investment in making the first two look good by comparison? #
- Excited to see how our epic Autechre discussion group looks when new http://t.co/Yh8y3liM comment template kicks in this weekend:… #
- 13 tracks so far in the 27th Disquiet Junto project (text -> sound), 2 of them from 1st-timers: http://t.co/9tsXKgVB #
- Was listening to new @vuzhmusic EP. Stopped listening, but it seemed to keep playing. Sound was washing machine several walls/rooms away. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
• 0468 / Mirror Rorrim / The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 472 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments