- Cloven hoof day, down on the goat farm with my 23-month-old. #
- Track the progress of the @yokoono-themed 31st Disquiet Junto project: http://t.co/cBXdemcX #
- 31st weekly @djunto project is based on incendiary 1955 Fluxus work by @yokoono. Instructions at http://t.co/XpNlSeEX + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Oddly, the "most popular posts" menu item in my @wordpress dashboard has disappeared, so I may not be posting that info today. #
- The next @djunto project, the 31st weekly, is inspired by a Fluxus work by @yokoono. Details Thursday afternoon Pacific time. #
- Numerical mirroring of Chris Marker's life seems fitting for director of La jetée: born 29 July 1921; deceased 30 July 2012. #
- RIP, Bill Doss (b. 1968?), of the Elephant 6 and Olivia Tremor Control. #
- Thumper thumper. MT @qDot: Got a Zoom H4N recorder. @subgirl's 1st recording target: bunny snores. The wait for @disquiet snore junto begins #
- Man, I could have used a doula's assistance to get that doll out of a box for my 22-month-old. #
- Wanna fall for KSR's 2312 but references early on to movies & to cloud data have me longing for Mieville's murkily defined neologisms. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, way up on Webster after doctor visit. #
- Thanks, @SoundCloud, for blocking the guy who's been following/unfollowing/following hundreds if not thousands of accounts. #
- And with a piece by @dizzybanjo there are 20 pieces in the "sounds from silence" Disquiet Junto project: http://t.co/KuEalsHX #
- The two best labs on television are run by Walters. #
- Impure thoughts about wool. http://t.co/1MXCaZ8v #
- artisanal dystopia #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.