- My favorite sign in the Haight. http://t.co/ZwT2U63Z ->
- Afternoon score: sleeping toddler's breathing, light rain hitting car, nearby traffic, passing plane. ->
- Woke to 19 tracks, 4 from 1st-timers, in @djunto 53 (ice music). Nice to think it's part of folks' 2013 resolutions: https://t.co/cT1yi384 ->
- Waking in Sacramento: hotel HVAC drone, housekeeping politely tapping on doors, the zing of card-key fails. ->
- Indeed. She went to town on it. RT @_muncky: My other @djunto standout from this week's work: http://t.co/ml0Mlicw ->
- Recorded this morning: "Mecha-Organic Drum Machine": http://t.co/HPR4qdoA ->
- We'll see. Often difficult to isolate the sound. Hear a tree, record a forest. RT @jaybuls: @disquiet Are you going to do more like that? ->
- If you use SoundCloud, this is where you can set your default license http://t.co/GCu7uY2b — say, to allow for derivative works. ->
- The 54th @djunto project will be #audiotextual. It just went to the translators. If you wanna help out, lemme know. ->
- At Chinese restaurant for lunch you discover your favorite new music. Except it's a Hong Kong soap-opera score playing on a glitchy TV. ->
- Imbue. That's the word. ->
- Yesterday you stopped in an alley to take a photo & record sound. The next day it's been listened to almost 100 times. https://t.co/4I9xQTST ->
- 6 hours left in 1st @djunto project of new year: music from sound of ice in glass. Already 1.5 hours from 32 musicians https://t.co/cT1yi384 ->
- Been digging Instagram but the anthropomorphic ferocity of this alley wiring is best served by Flickr: http://t.co/f37xgVgA ->
- One fewer hassles: If scheduled posts on your WordPress(.org) site delete SoundCloud/YouTube embed players, use plugin or URL ->
- Cinnamon and cayenne go together so well, you have to wonder if they were once a single thing and it's our job, eons later, to reunite them. ->
- Even more pissed off at Daniel Asia for his attack on wind chimes than for his attack on John Cage. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco while selecting image of human ear to accompany set I made of field recordings: https://t.co/rYserU42 ->
- OK audio of San Francisco at noon on a Tuesday: https://t.co/78s1F1IZ RT @GuyBirkin: @disquiet I'd love to hear the sound of that noon siren ->
- Any Firefly über-fans out there? When they filmed "Objects in Space," did they know it'd be the final episode? ->
- Welcome to San Francisco. RT @iamseams: Look what I found @disquiet! http://t.co/MY6hYmys ->
- Dear iCloud: Yes my storage is almost full. No you aren't making cleaning it out simple let alone magical. You don't complete me. Love, Marc ->
- Dear little Sacramento drainpipe, over 200 listens so far to your industrial/hip-hop beat-craft: https://t.co/4I9xQTST ->
- Croatian, German, Japanese, and Turkish translations are in for the 54th weekly @djunto project. The theme: #audiotextual. ->
- The street construction in front of the house is insane. I'd record the sound but the sound is a small part. It's the full-on vibration. ->
- "Average mileage based on Wolfram Alpha data." Just saw this in a TV commercial for a car. ->
- Very cool. Thanks. MT @christianbok: a search engine for sounds—(RT @kg_ubu, @inciteout, @noisehelp)—(for @disquiet): http://t.co/O5B0GwoA ->
- And after more than four years with the microwave, I discover it has a mute button. ->
- The @333books site moved. Here's the interview with me talking about early-stage work on Aphex Twin book I'm writing: http://t.co/CySiMWgb ->
- An "LEDscape" of 1,200 bulbs in Lisbon: http://t.co/TUJDzYRK Would love to know what such a concentration sounds like. ->
- Excited to announce that Michel Banabila (@banabila) developed a @djunto project that will begin on January 31. ->
- The 54th @djunto project will be in 8 languages: English + Afrikaans, Croatian, German, Japanese, Polish, Spanish, Turkish. ->
- I signed up for a @bandcamp "fans" page. I'm at /disquiet there —Â that is, http://t.co/EmJS4lPM. ->
- 54th @djunto project, making a score for the news, has gone to the email list and is at http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/JuLaNRdG ->
- Fan pages on @bandcamp don't show albums for which one gets a promo code or bought by other means, like at concert or through other retailer ->
- Just added the French version of the instructions to the current @djunto project. That makes 9 languages total: http://t.co/JuLaNRdG ->
- I wrote about a Bandcamp release for first time on Feb 16, 2009: http://t.co/z4A9bxnf. The musician is now on the San Antonio City Council. ->
- A song by the Who played at the end of Person of Interest tonight. It made it feel like a CSI crossover episode. ->
- The iOS app Samplr now has background audio support. The better to read to. ->
- The new Destiny's Child even more of a disappointment than recent Missy Elliott. I expected more of the backing track: http://t.co/N4bpt43z ->
- Top 10 countries listening to my SoundCloud account: U.S. Germany. U.K. Canada. France. Romania. Italy. Netherlands. Belgium. Japan. ->
- "Witty Independent Buddy Comedies," "Exciting Family Feature Animation," "Sports Movies" —Â Netflix, I thought you grokked me. ->
- Back in summer camp a kid wrote a great short story titled "Death by Carbonation." If I have one more glass of seltzer, I may experience it. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.