- My 2.4-year-old makes museums with toys. Said today, "Everyone wants to look at the blue art." http://t.co/C51Wt3XC ->
- Man, already over 20 tracks in the 56th weekly @djunto: https://t.co/fI78AZcM. Music from the tick of a clock. ->
- Psyched about this new @MexWithGuns + @D1egoBernal cut: http://t.co/iN9hMRwQ. And I finally got to make my "Beats with the Councilman" joke. ->
- Excited for this Thursday's @djunto project. The project was proposed by Michel Banabila (@banabila). It involves human speech. ->
- RIP, jazz figure Butch Morris (b. 1947): http://t.co/z0EHttvM ->
- Today's was 1st Tuesday noon siren after re-reading Delisle's Pyongyang, which includes phrase "Municipal loudspeakers intone their litany." ->
- Hitchcock poster or lost Peter Gabriel album cover? http://t.co/XuFCyDGN ->
- Looking forward to the opening of the Silence exhibit tonight at the Berkeley Art Museum. ->
- Today's unintentional remix provided by earbud cord rubbing against jacket zipper while waking. ->
- RIP, Steven Deal, aka Stevo, of Bleached Black. Very sad. Via @audiation ->
- New semester of course I teach on sound in the media landscape starts a week from today. Very excited to meet the new students and dive in. ->
- New @djunto project today developed by Rotterdam-based Michel Banabila, who's collaborated with Czukay, Machinefabriek, Zenial, among others ->
- Silence. Massive exhibit currently at the Berkeley Art Museum. http://t.co/4WTK3ozz ->
- Please join the 57th @djunto project. Explore UCLA's Phonetics Lab Archive for its emotive content http://t.co/XdREURGZ http://t.co/spRx6AYA ->
- The 57th project is in 8 (!) languages: Afrikaans, Croatian, Dutch, English, French, Japanese, Polish, and Turkish: http://t.co/spRx6AYA ->
- Weird WordPress/markdown issue in the current @djunto instructions. Markdown is removing an underscore in text target URLs. #hassle #major ->
- Any experts in Markdown wanna remind me how to get around two underscores in a URL mistakenly triggering italics? Thanks! ->
- Markdown support. Thanks! RT @inky: @disquiet ah! escaping them like this might work: \_ (not sure if that works universally in markdown) ->
- Man, I wish I were in Rome for this: http://t.co/Vmv3ruQB. Exhibit on intersection of sound and design. ->
- RIP, Nagra creator and audio-engineering legend Stefan Kudelski (b. 1929) http://t.co/mQVuTjRa ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments