- Weird. My automated weekly Twitter aggregator decided, all on its own, to post on Sunday rather than Saturday. ->
- The week’s @djunto has 31 pieces, with two full days to go. Here's a helpful 320kbps MP3 of the massive AIFF source: http://t.co/Fg8T8FPXQD ->
- It was darker before the dusk this evening, the storm breaking at land’s end, sky overhead stormy but in the distance lit by the waning sun. ->
- RIP, Robert Zildjian (89), of the namesake centuries-old Turkish cymbal-making family; founder of rival Sabian Cymbals. ->
- I get Bcc'd on soul-retrieval SKU requisitions. RT @Le_Berger: @disquiet It's like you have a direct link with the grim reaper or something. ->
- RIP, composer and educator Edward Charles Mattila (b. 1927), via @jcharney ->
- Very sad. Learned via @vuzhmusic that Jeffrey Melton (@nofi), who participated in many @djunto projects, including the first, passed away. ->
- Here's something I wrote about @nofi in 2011: http://t.co/w5wnsFc9mT. And here's more of his sounds: https://t.co/csnM59i7bI. ->
- Man, @naotko has reminded me that the late @nofi was the compiler of the main @twitter list of @djunto participants: https://t.co/QzF3jON9pe ->
- "I did not believe I could be so sad to learn someone I'd never met passed away." From a fellow admirer of @nofi. ->
- Indeed. MT @happypuppyrecs: sad to learn of @nofi's death. at least his musical creations will be available for us to remember him with. ->
- It's not that it's odd that I am saddened by @nofi's death despite having never met him; I am sad in part because I never met him. ->
- Dang you, April Fools. Totally fell for the "Nick Cave is Nick Cave" joke: http://t.co/ZClHt6Qzl7 ->
- This is the page for @nofi's funeral home: http://t.co/POwZBX3On4. It includes a button to "Leave Audio Memory." ->
- Tuesday noon siren does battle with Steely Dan on the radio. ->
- Next class in course on sound that you teach is about iconography, what sound looks like, and two Christian Marclay exhibits open. Perfecto. ->
- Space is the place. MT @janeshin: Feel like I'm writing my letters in outer space as I listen to this set: https://t.co/71fpkl55qb ->
- All afternoon thought a mouse was under the house. Then realized I'd left my iPod in my jacket playing a collection of @alln4tural tracks. ->
- That waning period after April Fools' Day where so much music PR seems like a failed prank attempt at writing failed PR. ->
- Cool. @Dalkey_Archive published William Gaddis' letters. Seems he wrote one lifelong letter with no paragraph breaks addressed to "everyone" ->
- Due to death of @nofi (aka Jeffrey Melton) the week’s @djunto (#66) is a tribute to him (not the scheduled riff on #-of-beast backmasking). ->
- This week’s @djunto tribute to the late @nofi has gone live: http://t.co/XjWrMj8rJr http://t.co/mOP3ucVNnL. And it went to the email list. ->
- Thanks. It feels right. RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet @nofi @djunto I'm glad you're doing this – I'm glad we're doing this. ->
- Psyched to see that SoundSelf passed its fundraising goal on http://t.co/ZJOFFl41bQ ->
- In the week’s @djunto project, we play live alongside a live tape of our recently deceased comrade, @nofi. Listen: https://t.co/bNdn5FZTiu ->
- You get an email with the phrase “markdown madness”and you think it’s a about a writing/coding app. ->
- Cliff Martinez appears to have scored Nicolas Winding Refn’s new Ryan Gosling film, Only God Forgives: http://t.co/Y12j2192eu #extravagant ->
- Yeah. Drive x Oldboy x Kill Bill x Triad Election – Hangover 2. RT @dizzybanjo: @disquiet oh awesome, more Drive :D ->
- That police siren was way close to the house before I realized it had nada to do with the Ephraim Wegner / Cem GÃ¼ney music I'm listening to. ->
- I've already read three of the five novels nominated for a Hugo (Grant, Robinson, Scalzi). This surprises me. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice