- Weird. My automated weekly Twitter aggregator decided, all on its own, to post on Sunday rather than Saturday. ->
- The week’s @djunto has 31 pieces, with two full days to go. Here's a helpful 320kbps MP3 of the massive AIFF source: http://t.co/Fg8T8FPXQD ->
- It was darker before the dusk this evening, the storm breaking at land’s end, sky overhead stormy but in the distance lit by the waning sun. ->
- RIP, Robert Zildjian (89), of the namesake centuries-old Turkish cymbal-making family; founder of rival Sabian Cymbals. ->
- I get Bcc'd on soul-retrieval SKU requisitions. RT @Le_Berger: @disquiet It's like you have a direct link with the grim reaper or something. ->
- RIP, composer and educator Edward Charles Mattila (b. 1927), via @jcharney ->
- Very sad. Learned via @vuzhmusic that Jeffrey Melton (@nofi), who participated in many @djunto projects, including the first, passed away. ->
- Here's something I wrote about @nofi in 2011: http://t.co/w5wnsFc9mT. And here's more of his sounds: https://t.co/csnM59i7bI. ->
- Man, @naotko has reminded me that the late @nofi was the compiler of the main @twitter list of @djunto participants: https://t.co/QzF3jON9pe ->
- "I did not believe I could be so sad to learn someone I'd never met passed away." From a fellow admirer of @nofi. ->
- Indeed. MT @happypuppyrecs: sad to learn of @nofi's death. at least his musical creations will be available for us to remember him with. ->
- It's not that it's odd that I am saddened by @nofi's death despite having never met him; I am sad in part because I never met him. ->
- Dang you, April Fools. Totally fell for the "Nick Cave is Nick Cave" joke: http://t.co/ZClHt6Qzl7 ->
- This is the page for @nofi's funeral home: http://t.co/POwZBX3On4. It includes a button to "Leave Audio Memory." ->
- Tuesday noon siren does battle with Steely Dan on the radio. ->
- Next class in course on sound that you teach is about iconography, what sound looks like, and two Christian Marclay exhibits open. Perfecto. ->
- Space is the place. MT @janeshin: Feel like I'm writing my letters in outer space as I listen to this set: https://t.co/71fpkl55qb ->
- All afternoon thought a mouse was under the house. Then realized I'd left my iPod in my jacket playing a collection of @alln4tural tracks. ->
- That waning period after April Fools' Day where so much music PR seems like a failed prank attempt at writing failed PR. ->
- Cool. @Dalkey_Archive published William Gaddis' letters. Seems he wrote one lifelong letter with no paragraph breaks addressed to "everyone" ->
- Due to death of @nofi (aka Jeffrey Melton) the week’s @djunto (#66) is a tribute to him (not the scheduled riff on #-of-beast backmasking). ->
- This week’s @djunto tribute to the late @nofi has gone live: http://t.co/XjWrMj8rJr http://t.co/mOP3ucVNnL. And it went to the email list. ->
- Thanks. It feels right. RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet @nofi @djunto I'm glad you're doing this – I'm glad we're doing this. ->
- Psyched to see that SoundSelf passed its fundraising goal on http://t.co/ZJOFFl41bQ ->
- In the week’s @djunto project, we play live alongside a live tape of our recently deceased comrade, @nofi. Listen: https://t.co/bNdn5FZTiu ->
- You get an email with the phrase “markdown madness”and you think it’s a about a writing/coding app. ->
- Cliff Martinez appears to have scored Nicolas Winding Refn’s new Ryan Gosling film, Only God Forgives: http://t.co/Y12j2192eu #extravagant ->
- Yeah. Drive x Oldboy x Kill Bill x Triad Election – Hangover 2. RT @dizzybanjo: @disquiet oh awesome, more Drive :D ->
- That police siren was way close to the house before I realized it had nada to do with the Ephraim Wegner / Cem Güney music I'm listening to. ->
- I've already read three of the five novels nominated for a Hugo (Grant, Robinson, Scalzi). This surprises me. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments