- Birthday party for three-year-old? Slide whistles! http://t.co/8qHTDT2nvV ->
- Got my ticket to see @robert_henke and company Sunday night in San Francisco: https://t.co/79VCS7y1TF ->
- Six years after moving my site to WordPress I realize there is a dashboard plugin to display a list of scheduled posts. ->
- 50+ @djunto acts broke a 1-hour @JaredBrickman track into parts & added their own music. Then he pieced it together: https://t.co/lnkO4JT0Nq ->
- So glad you could make it. MT @ambienteer: My contribution to this week's poignant @djunto project with @nofi: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L. ->
- Thanks to @kenmistove for coding the browser-based tool that sorted out which @djunto musician would do which @JaredBrickman segment. ->
- Name a dog: "To help the puppy distinguish its name from ambient noise, choose something with a sibilant consonant": http://t.co/7T9zDOzHMk ->
- I always play the "Who's the most dangerous person in the café?" game in my head. Today: giddy guy in red CERN T-shirt working on a netbook. ->
- The week's @djunto honoring @nofi is wonderful, but I can't stop thinking it won't be last time we do such a thing: https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I ->
- At @Robert_Henke show in San Francisco. Mistook bartender's martini shaking to be part of opening act's set. ->
- Lebbeus Woods' Alien fan art (1988, at SFMOMA). http://t.co/NABwvPVfQy ->
- Watched new Mad Men. Nice image of Draper’s aural memory of Hawaii surf, not to mention the Koss client, not to mention transition between. ->
- Spent 20 minutes yesterday at The Clock (4:25-45). Will return, and maybe pitch in on this wiki: http://t.co/RnvqnQPZko ->
- Pretty sure the Tuesday noon siren set off the birds in my yard. ->
- That's what I call echo. RT @janeshin: @disquiet We tried to play your recording in the office at the same time. We'll try again next week. ->
- “You are now a developer!" ->
- What’s the obverse of retro-futurism? “this puts the Met at the forefront of early-20th-century art”: http://t.co/amuj5HN9jr ->
- I am loving Android 4.2.2. That said, it’s weird that the “Sound on keypress”option is (only) under Keyboard settings, not Sound settings. ->
- Steve Reich covers Radiohead, Alva Noto tours with Depeche Mode, SFMOMA celebrates Christian Marclay. I like this millennium. ->
- Today in sound class: what sound looks like. ->
- Anyone using iAnnotate PDF on an Android tablet (4.2.2) having trouble with it failing to save highlighted text? Thanks. ->
- And soon enough: Keep Calm and Keep Calm and Stop Using the Keep Calm Meme RT @JaredBrickman: Keep Calm and Stop Using the Keep Calm Meme. ->
- This week's @djunto project will employ the human voice, and poetry, and text-to-speech. (Attn: @alln4tural) ->
- The space where text-to-speech and epic poetry overlap: http://t.co/KO5RCjsTVP https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L. This is @djunto 67. ->
- At water-themed group show at gallery at Sonoma State's library, audio of two different videos (water drops, Orbison's "Crying") overlapped. ->
- For National Poetry Month the @djunto is scoring brief fragments of Homer's Odyssey using text-to-speech: https://t.co/zTjAv4L9Yg. ->
- Morning sounds: bus breaks, bird song, students walking to school, refrigerator, typing, ice squeaking as it thaws in glass of black coffee. ->
- RIP, Don Blackman (b. 1953), played with Parliament, Ayers; widely sampled (Jay Z, Jazzy Jeff, Madlib): http://t.co/CXd7GP0MH6 ->
- RIP, Tim Carr (57), “guy who’s stealing the Beasties from us,”as described by Lyor Cohen in Dan LeRoy’s 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/KGGWUwdYVq ->
- #eavesdrop MT @qDot: Looks like the Hearing Voices Auditory Hallucinations conference tomorrow will be streamed: http://t.co/kcrwe1huZO ->
- Thanks for this! MT @SoundCloud: Compose music for Homer's Odyssey for National Poetry Month, a @djunto project: http://t.co/IGSR7GRJkR ->
- Anechoic-chamber porn from @io9: http://t.co/itHeD18KG5 ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments