- My essay on the wall at @root_division in SF, accompanying art by @salvagione, design by @boondesign. http://t.co/VXsT3WeRgc ->
- So many chimes, so many chime puns to avoid. http://t.co/BIVVQFRd9z ->
- Instagram self-doubt. http://t.co/IzgpkLa9Sq ->
- This is when I start photographing screenshots of my tweets and posting the photos to Instagram rather than vice-versa. Cc: @TheLionAltered in reply to TheLionAltered ->
- Generation GPS: raised listening, from day one, to computerized voices give directions. ->
- Eno’ Syndrome: pathology suffered by those who seek treatment at Montefiore Hospital to take in his installation: http://t.co/Fph4wlWf2y ->
- An hour of music by 12 musicians, each piece in 4 parts, each part for a season built from a field recording: https://t.co/lkXGqcBW72 ->
- My 2.7-year-old sang/hummed along with the bathing-suit drying machine ("water extractor") at the Y this morning. ->
- What an earthquake sounds like. From the "share your story" board in quake exhibit at Academy of Science in GG Park…. ->
- Been Monday dad for a year and half, spending each solo with my kid. Starting now I'm Saturday dad. Benefit: more open museums/galleries. ->
- “My echolocation mechanism will get a fix on your reaction.”—The @GreatDismal, on reading from his new novel: http://t.co/l6MjanYFmE ->
- Increasingly fascinated by the acoustics (the sonic UI/UX) of conference calls. That and text-to-speech are my obsessions. ->
- Tomorrow's newsletter includes a contest to win CDs of recent scores by Cliff Martinez & Nick Urata. Subscribe: http://t.co/bJzuaEu8Lj. ->
- Parenting Protip: Think before teaching your toddler about the concept of human beatboxing. ->
- RIP, rave promoter Paul Shurey (53): http://t.co/qCycF0oBRT ->
- New Disquiet e-newsletter ( http://t.co/bJzuaEu8Lj ) out later today. Includes contest for CDs of scores by Cliff Martinez and Nick Urata. ->
- New @sopercussion album, due out at the end of May, is tremendous: maximalist, minimalist, roaring, subtle. Preview: https://t.co/24xIp6rVUs ->
- A first for Disquiet: an exclusive stream. For the next week, http://t.co/tkA4fVwB80 is the only place to hear @peterkirn's Music for Dance. ->
- Today in sound class: online social networks & digital retail. How audio travels through connections & commerce. Three weeks of class left. ->
- Student presentations: calls-to-prayer, Gibson v. Fender, Daft Punk campaign, “non-Newtonian fluid meets subwoofer”( http://t.co/lyJniTa4rR ) ->
- Tomorrow's @djunto, the 70th weekly project, involves just 2 tones & 3 beats. And the 71st is shaping up to be a true first for the group. ->
- Belated Tuesday noon siren mention: I was in the shower at the time. Echo echo echo … ->
- TV music so differs from movie music. So much produced so quickly, it’s more patterning than narrative. Which is to say, I often love it. ->
- 3D-Printed Bionic Ear Can Hear Radio Waves: http://t.co/8Cw6FEgObn A little early to award headline of the day, but this seems hard to beat. ->
- Text appearing below Spotify link in Google search: “Spotify coming soon. Thanks for visiting Spotify. To us, music is everything.”Soon? ->
- Thanks! MT @peterkirn: "Dance can't be stored" http://t.co/Lg0fwfJ8zS hear & read, my music for choreography. Loved doing this w/ @disquiet ->
- When people who followed me due to my @peterkirn interview about abstract music for modern dance learn my favorite TV show of 2013 is Arrow. ->
- Trio for outdoor drones on a hot day: airplane, rooftop HVAC, laptop fan. ->
- text-to-speech-to-text: http://t.co/UgnlnkZrjO. Thanks to @tobiasreber for the laugh. #faceoff #amplification ->
- "Facebook is no longer supported in TweetDeck, on 7th May your Facebook account and Facebook columns will be removed." #oy ->
- OK, this week's Disquiet Junto project is, I think, the most minimalist yet, yet nonetheless requires a not insignificant amount of effort. ->
- The 70th @djunto project, making music from 2 tones & 3 beats, has gone live at: http://t.co/Uprfjjv8ON http://t.co/4GjGanKdHp ->
- So glad you dig. RT @GuyBirkin: [email protected] just got this week's @djunto project – a wicked convolution of simple elements. Great stuff. ->
- RIP, Jeff Hanneman (b. 1964), founding guitarist in Slayer (my wife and my first concert together). ->
- Greg Ginn plays theremin on the new (somewhat Fugazi-ish) Black Flag song, “Down in the Dirt”: http://t.co/BB8WEIydWK #yesnew #freedownload ->
- Every unformatted plain text mass email now looks like it came from @thelistserve. ->
- Not everyday I find myself making a Slayer reference and a Black Flag reference. Turbonegro's Vans deal isn’t enough to make it a trifecta. ->
- 20th anniversary of Mosaic browser a month away. That it isn't the defining anniversary of 2013 is a testament to the innovation's ubiquity. ->
- Fireworks? #94121 ->
- Of that I have no doubt. RT @thelistserve: @disquiet hey we are THE canonical modern day plain text mass email. :) ->
- If you're in/near Cleveland, Janet Cardiff is talking about the Forty-Part Motet @ClevelandArt on Sunday: http://t.co/HWxacXWJJf ->
- Thanks! MT @notrobwalker: Motherboard on "YouTube's Rap Instrumental Subculture" (cc: @disquiet if you haven't seen.) http://t.co/7BwZCtMrI4 ->
- “The internet is positive about doom metal.”http://t.co/sxBFoZzF3K ->
- Ha! RT @KenMcCandless: [email protected] "The Internet is negative about dubstep." There's hope yet. http://t.co/yOnu59zB3n ->
- Music for 2 tones & 3 beats: https://t.co/oeypqrjHg6. The most minimal Disquiet Junto project yet. Four tracks so far. Just getting started. ->
- The biggest change to Valencia Street's soundscape since I moved to California in 1989 is the constant presence of construction. #415 ->
- Sending a test post via Buffer. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments