- Imagining how loud a drone-supported self-adjusting floating standing desk would be. ->
- Skype UI note: "The largest bar in the volume icon is an exclamation mark." http://t.co/Hl32qyRra9 (via @littlebigdetail) ->
- Belated RIP, Leland Smith (88), computer-music pioneer: http://t.co/5NQMA0ANLE. (Via @G3NtR0pH08ik + @tedgioia) ->
- There's only one song by Souled American on Rdio. ->
- LPs that melted your brain upon release and, decades later, you play on repeat while cooking all Sunday long: Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation. ->
- The revolution will become a TV mini-series. RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet the most difficult to assimilate becomes the most comfortable ->
- And my Aphex Twin book for 33 1/3 (on the album Selected Ambient Works Volume II) comes out one month from today. ->
- Thanks, @citylightsbooks, for hosting the March 20 reading/concert in San Francisco for my Aphex Twin 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/rcc4SRjBAW ->
- 2,991 tracks in Disquiet Junto in past 2 years and 2 weeks. Wonder if we'll hit 3K when current project ends tonite: https://t.co/RG5yL7CI2z ->
- I'm interviewing Prefuse 73 in half an hour. If you have questions for him, lemme know. ->
- Prefuse 73 says it refers to the sound of fusion jazz prior to 1973 (starting around 1968). RT @nynexrepublic: @disquiet why that number? ->
- Judging by my Twitter page, staff got back from lunch and posted a redesign of the website, which it is now slowly tweaking in real time. ->
- Helix: You come for the science fiction; you stay for the Arctic research-station room tones. ->
- Still likes to think that the new version of WordPress is named after the Donald Westlake / Richard Stark character. ->
- On Almost Human, it seems like the suspects are always listening to ambient music and the cops are always listening to EDM in their cars. ->
- MOMA and SFMOMA are expanding at the same time and they'll join somewhere in the midwest at a golden spike made by Jeff Koons. ->
- RIP, jazz guitarist Ronny Jordan (51): http://t.co/OnYlRX3tNo. Here's one of his team-ups with DJ Krush: http://t.co/LqYiO3jcBu ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Of course Bruce Springsteen's music was in a Good Wife episode this past weekend about an ethically challenged (albeit Illinois) governor. ->
- Hopeful that @SoundCloud technical issues are solved by tomorrow, but pondering stopgap @djunto options (e.g., Disquiet-post comment links). ->
- I love my Nexus 7 but Google must get the accessories gears churning. There's nothing for the N7 close to Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio. ->
- If you participate in the Disquiet Junto, try the SoundCloud URL ( http://t.co/3Vl0MYqdZd ) and lemme know if it's coming up for you. Thanks. ->
- If SoundCloud's tech issues continue tomorrow we may experiment with posting the next project as embeds/links in comments on a Disquiet post ->
- Thanks for the quick replies folks. On my Mac the SoundCloud URL works OK on Safari, just not my default browser (Chrome). #patience ->
- "This webpage has a redirect loop." Been getting major conflicts between Google accounts lately. ->
- "It is an auditory 3-D sculpture." That description of pop-music recording isn't from Brian Eno. It's Sandra Boynton: http://t.co/TPqOQR4ZGc ->
- Amazon's market-bots are quite insistent that I purchase a copy of my own 33 1/3 book. ->
- Even more depressing than the Professor dying is the radio broadcasters feeling the need to explain what Gilligan's Island was. ->
- Aeolian metrics. That's the theme of this week's @djunto project. ->
- Tomorrow is January 17, the 308th birthday of Benjamin Franklin, whose Junto club, formed when he was 21, lent its name to the @djunto. ->
- I vote they make 10 spinoffs of Arrow and rename the network the DCW. ->
- Happy birthday, Benjamin Franklin. You weren't a model father, but I can't think of a founding father more relevant or inspiring today. ->
- Hopeful. I set up that four-digit project numbering for a reason. RT @jonautry: @disquiet #junto4evr in reply to jonautry ->
- Mail.app (OS X) now in doghouse. Was so good until Mavericks. Giving MailMate a try. ->
- Super cool. Time Out Dubai (@TimeOutDubai) on that sound art exhibit I participated in: http://t.co/5Ve5gNdtun ->
- Whoa, that massive Amon Tobin box set sold out. Glad I got a copy. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (7 of 13): Home Decorating in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
- Rewinding 2021 in The Wire
- Buddha Machine Variations No. 40 (MBP BMV VCV)
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (6 of 13): Laraaji in 2015
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (5 of 13): Our Lives in the Bush of Disquiet