- RIP, Japanese voice actor SeizÅ KatÅ (b. 1927), Megatron and Galvatron in Transformers: http://t.co/Tz3TNOi1TW ->
- Apparently two days in a row I wrote on Disquiet about artists from Virginia. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it a trifecta. ->
- Helix has had an impact. Soft r&b tunes from the 1970s playing in public places now freak me out a little. ->
- Yahoo! The @djunto weekly music project series is now well over 3,000 extant tracks and 420 contributors: http://t.co/Cjn2aOvZib ->
- Man, it's hard these days to type "Yahoo!" and have people not think you're writing about, you know, Yahoo! ->
- Thought my Nexus 7's screen paled next to my iPad (retina) but it was just that the iPad's wallpaper was more bright/colorful. #stupidme ->
- #aeolian #metrics. The week's @djunto was inspired by "White Blur 1" off subject of my new book, Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol II. ->
- Just did my first interview with a podcast for my 33 1/3 Aphex Twin book. That was fun. Good questions. More on it as its broadcast date ne”¦ ->
- Man, that @Synthtopia sure has a sizable readership. Enormous spike for something I wrote last week. Thanks! ->
- Correlation between percentage of apps downloaded but never used and percentage of hoodies the hoods of which have never been worn. ->
- "Musical notation presented unusual challenges to the new craft of printing in the 15th century." Free UCPress book: http://t.co/gl1bC2HXf9 ->
- 25 days until my Aphex Twin 33 1/3 book (SAW2) is officially released. The album has 25 tracks (well, one edition does). Time for countdown. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #25 ("Matchsticks") http://t.co/bM55wjZeTB ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #24 ("White Blur 2") http://t.co/BZSa963Pu2 ->
- This week's @djunto project: @freebassel. It goes live this Thursday. #creativecommons #openweb #freebassel ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- The Outdoor Public Warning System siren at the corner of 21st Ave and Geary in San Francisco: http://t.co/wvsX98xwQx #urbanstudies #sound ->
- Thumbs up to Beats Music for factoring in music you "hate" when sorting out your preferences. ->
- Weird, @beatsmusic lists Aphex Twin SAW2 as 35 tracks and yet only lists 20 of them. Actual number: between 23 and 25, depending on version. ->
- This is great: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have teamed up for a third time (for Gone Girl) with David Fincher: http://t.co/axQ1BXuYWs ->
- I messed that last tweet up. It's @mariplasma (aka Marielle Jakobsons) not @darwinsbitch who'll perform with @subnaughtsounds + @jared_smyth in reply to subnaughtsounds ->
- Excited to report: @mariplasma @jared_smyth @subnaughtsounds to perform Aphex Twin”“inspired music at my March 20 @citylightsbooks reading ->
- The app Yellofier (by Boris Blank of Yello) has been ported to Android from iOS: http://t.co/oxC9KRP5G9 ->
- The URL "TiananmenSunrise dot com" is available. Just saying. ->
- German word for "Disappointed the Tiananmen sunrise image was misreported because felt like Code 46 is real, yet happy Code 46 isn't real." ->
- New semester of my sound-in-the-media-landscape course at the Academy of Art begins a week from today. Very excited. ->
- Talk of Twitter being "ephemeral" complicated for me because what I tweet is auto-compiled weekly on my website. It's like a public journal. ->
- Are we at Peak Faraday Cage? There's one in Person of Interest, and in Intelligence. Any others out there in TV land? ->
- First thing I did in MacPaint in 1984 was to recreate the inside cover of Starless and Bible Black. Happy 30th birthday, Mac. ->
- Proof of life. MT @BrewCrewJess: @disquiet's book on Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works Volume II' just arrived! http://t.co/8VB0C43UtZ ->
- Mention today on the Creative Commons official blog about next @dunto project: http://t.co/cPvrQUigYG #freebassel ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #23 (“Tassels”) http://t.co/NfY4CqYRyg (w/ proof-of-book-life) ->
- Loving the grid version of the Aphex Twin album cover that @boondesign did for my daily, 25-track SAW2 countdown: http://t.co/KbKUw12RuH ->
- Thanks to @hecanjog for tweeting a photo of where in my 33 1/3 book I thank the @djunto: http://t.co/sibZ4wQdyA. Plus a cat. in reply to hecanjog ->
- RIP: Douglas Davis, Critic and Internet Artist, Dies at 80: http://t.co/Y2IyqTpt0C ->
- Talking about glitch, "in between" parts of songs, and learning from Fennesz: Prefuse 73 interview I did last week: http://t.co/0FmFEGwN0Q. ->
- This is a picture I've looked forward to taking for a long time: http://t.co/WbV6wJyn9I ->
- My 3-year-old likes my Aphex Twin book's cover but wonders why there are no pictures. I explained the LP has pictures, so we looked at that. ->
- I don't know if @VibeMagazine and @EW are paying for these spam ad PR emails pushing their news links, but they're ridiculous. ->
- RIP, Italian film music composer Riz Ortolani (87): http://t.co/kBFvuySOOZ via @geetadayal #mondocane ->
- For this week's @djunto project, we make an ancient soundscape + raise awareness of an imprisoned coder: http://t.co/13jdupeNd9 #freebassel ->
- On a street corner equal distance from a pho place and a pozole place. Weighed the options. Went with pozole. ->
- Looks like that free stream of Arcade Fire's score to Her is offline. Maybe it wasn't official? ->
- Supa cool. Apparently the Kindle edition of my 33 1/3 book on Aphex Twin's SAW2 is available for preorder http://t.co/lUoldz5rlc. #justsayin ->
- A flurry of spambot followers late Friday afternoon is Twitter's equivalent of happy hour. ->
- This library makes my boyhood science fiction dreams come true. The HVAC drone is so starship. ->
- Four tracks so far in our #freebassel @djunto project to create soundscapes for the ancient city of Palmyra: https://t.co/nCC6KscR3t ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #21 (“Lichen”) http://t.co/Ymah1u3qzJ ->
- Today's Aphex Twin SAW2 countdown ("Lichen," #21) includes five versions: original, live, remixed, slowed, reversed: http://t.co/Ymah1u3qzJ ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments