- RT @dpnem: So Hans Zimmer wants you. But what if your heart already belongs to James Newton Howard. ->
- Classical Music Is Zombies because BBC notes its hostility to women ( http://t.co/0uuhaZfP8R) + Slate says it's dead (http://t.co/rI8hIU1WS4 ) ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #20 (“Hexagon”) http://t.co/RhlaNho9Vq (w/ @vuzhmusic cameo) ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Hexagon," #20) includes 5 versions: original, slowed down, with live drums, reversed: http://t.co/jxFKG9gh6I ->
- These news articles in which the accompanying photos are selfies of the victim or suspect. ->
- So, they set their mixes of other people's music free for download, and yet not their own music. ->
- "Shane Carruth hasn’t shared any public sounds. Follow Shane Carruth for updates of their new sounds." ->
- According to the HBO app, all 4 Lethal Weapon movies are "action," and all all but the second are "comedy." ->
- RIP, jazz saxophonist Arthur Doyle (69): http://t.co/DAweOKFbYc. Yes, the one namechecked by Sonic Youth on Sonic Nurse. ->
- RT @Le_Berger: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS, but more for your participation really. Listen & read the guidelines…. http://t.co/CCSsVFsm3v ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #19 (“Stone in Focus”) http://t.co/m1GDQuXkh1 ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Stone in Focus," #19) includes 4 versions: original, cover, slowed down, reversed: http://t.co/QOgDigoNIw ->
- RT @333books: Marc Weidenbaum awaits the Feb 13 release of his Aphex Twin SAW2 book with a daily track-by-track analysis: http://t.co/02wo3”¦ ->
- "Anytime you feel the pain." The conference call's hold music is the Beatles' "Hey Jude." ->
- "Mrs. Patmore is not what you'd call a futurist." ->
- Something depressing—and telling—about my Wired magazine subscription triggering an email suggestion that I subscribe to a golf magazine. ->
- low-flying jet + washing machine + wind chimes + school marching band's drum practice + car alarm ”¦ #whatdoyouhearnow? ->
- A clarification about my Aphex Twin SAW2 track-by-track descriptive countdown: it's the opposite of my 33 1/3 book, which is themed essays. ->
- 33 tracks, with 6 or so hours to go, in #freebasel project honoring imprisoned Creative Commons software advocate: https://t.co/nCC6KscR3t ->
- The URL inanimategif dot com is not taken. Just saying. ->
- After listening to Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works V.II daily for year-plus, I took a few months off. Nice to revisit for the track posts. ->
- Later today a SAW2 track post on #18 ("Windowsill"), perhaps the most X Files”“y on an album released less than a year after X Files debuted. ->
- Super cool. I'll include in tonight's daily SAW2 track countdown. RT @Schemawound: @disquiet Book Acquired. Congrats http://t.co/ijN0jEN8p6 in reply to Schemawound ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #18 (“Windowsill”) http://t.co/PmltbOGNjZ @333books ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Windowsill," #18), 2 versions: original, reversed: http://t.co/PmltbOGNjZ + @schemawound proof-of-book shot ->
- RIP, Pete Seeger (b. 1919). My three-year-old has had "If I Had a Hammer" on heavy rotation for months. ->
- One more flower is gone. ->
- Today's Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol. II track, working backward daily toward February 13, will be "Z Twig," the album's shortest. ->
- Via LinkedIn email: "Congratulate [Person X] on the new job. [Person X] is now Composer/Performer/Bandleader at various." ->
- New semester of my course on role of sound in the media landscape begins in 24 hours. Think I'll do more class-by-class blogging this time. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (for my @333books book) reverse-order daily track countdown: #17 (“Z Twig”) http://t.co/rX7i0wLlja ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Hoping no one joins this conference call until after the Beatles "I Will" hold music ends. ->
- An IFTTT so when I add a word to my Swype keyboard dictionary in Android the word is then posted to my Twitter account. ->
- Yowza. "48 Fela Kuti albums have been uploaded to Bandcamp": http://t.co/Ky676DzCRB (via http://t.co/hpasyIDklH) ->
- "Afrobeat made me realize how great a cowbell player can be." That's the wise @durkkooistra on Fela (over at http://t.co/6XQHhbKxyA). ->
- Madlib releases more music than most people listen to. People who listen to Madlib listen to more than Madlib. What does Madlib listen to? ->
- First sound class of the semester: an introduction to listening, everyday soundscapes, clairaudience, sonification. ->
- Guy waking around with absolutely massive three-ring binder labeled Foundations of Commerce and Management. ->
- Good day in sound class. Great students, mix of BA and MFA. Talked about Fringe credits + Kit Kat commercials. Did two listening exercises. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #16 (“Grey Stripe”) http://t.co/PmltbOGNjZ ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Grey Strip," #16), 2 versions: original, reversed: http://t.co/QlKMMMaN2G ->
- Proud of past week's @djunto: 36 ancient-city soundscapes draw attention to plight of jailed coder Bassel Khartabil: http://t.co/ikhpwYIzkr ->
- The most telling thing about that "Academia Explained: Muppets" thing that's circulating is it leaves out adjuncts. ->
- RT @compactrobot: why is there no Aphex Twin Unicode charatcer? ->
- Working on trimming chapters of my Aphex Twin SAW2 book for reading events. Suddenly the idea of the "radio" edit makes sense. ->
- Guy who wrote new 33 1/3 book on Dilla's Donuts (no offense to rest of my cohort, but that's the one I'm most excited about) is @333donuts. ->
- For this week's @djunto project, we'll insert musical objects into an urban soundscape. ->
- This week's @djunto inspired by the visual art of @wcraghead. ->
- This week's Disquiet Junto project involves inserting musical objects into an urban soundscape: http://t.co/z6Q2ki6xoy ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #15 (“Shiny Metal Rods”) http://t.co/ShlQSKSdNz. ->
- 33 1/3 announced a new call for books. Several records once contracted are now open: London Calling, Enter the Wu (36 Chambers), Biophilia. ->
- Instructions for new round of 33 1/3 pitches here: http://t.co/IdEl9cgQNm. This is the series my Aphex Twin SAW 2 book is in. ->
- The day is young but I'm pretty sure nothing for me is gonna beat watching someone purchase a single donut with a credit card. ->
- My memory of watching Space: 1999 upon its release was that its closest competitor was reruns of Star Trek. ->
- Oh, cool. Batman Vs. Superman is really a sequel to The Social Network, not to Man of Steel. ->
- Aside from watching Helix, the day is over. So, yes, nothing today beat witnessing someone purchase a single donut with a credit card. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #14 (“Parallel Stripes”) http://t.co/W4pi1KfAgJ ->
- 3 consecutive tracks (“Blue Calx,”melody; “Parallel Stripes,”ambience; “Shiny Metal Rods,”minimalist beats) tell the SAW2 album's story. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments