- [email protected] Oh, and I just recalled: On page 47 of the SAW2 book there's a bit about the Sire Records corporate account at @RoughTrade. ->
- My buddy Bob Levine will be on WQXR Opera Quiz today during 1st Madama Butterfly intermission, 2pm EST. ->
- RIP, Anna Gordy Gaye (b. 1921), cofounder of Anna Records, songwriter, sister of Berry Gordy, wife of Marvin Gaye: http://t.co/2owSzoEoFh ->
- In my Aphex Twin countdown, I'm posting people's photos of copies of my @333books. Yesterday: @jpbartee @emarg0ed http://t.co/W4pi1KfAgJ ->
- Today will be day 13 of my 25-day Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Volume II countdown. Halfway through means … "Blue Calx"! ->
- Nothing as personal as PR email addressed to "Marc2" with faux personalized opening and an emoticon. ->
- I look forward to a movie as interesting as the serial drama of casting announcements. ->
- Marveling at the light rain like a character in a Paolo Bacigalupi book. ->
- There's a @goodreads entry for my Aphex Twin @333books book should you, you know, wanna add it to your reading list: http://t.co/mo5DxViDU1 ->
- I'm including folks' Twitter/Instagram shots of my @333books Aphex Twin SAW2 book in my daily countdowns, so lemme know if you post one. ->
- Y'day: Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #13 (“Blue Calx”) http://t.co/diJcsvvilb ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #12 (“White Blur 1”) http://t.co/rWKERwTIkd ->
- Been posting weekly looks back 15, 10, and 5 years to what I've written. Here's a 1999 interview with Steve Reich: http://t.co/YGuwJYpOnO. ->
- PSH film I most look forward to is Most Wanted Man, directed by Anton Corbijn, music by Herbert Grönemeyer (of Corbijn's The American). #RIP ->
- Much of U2's new song, the Danger Mouse”“produced "Invisible," sounds more like a Brian Eno project than does some of their Eno stuff. ->
- Next time I ride Caltrain I need to remember to have Chris Bacon's Source Code score on my iPod. ->
- Someone on Caltrain (north, arriving in San Carlos at 5:28pm) has named their mobile modem "Larry Ellison's iPhone." ->
- Because you never hear a train coming. #caltrain #soundstudies #signage http://t.co/0sDQJFRWaV ->
- This photo makes me especially happy: http://t.co/4W8f8YQtyr. Thanks, @npseaver. ->
- RT @wcraghead: great piece from @disquiet in last week's Junto project based on my seed toss drawings and field recordings: http://t.co/W1a”¦ ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Thing I learned today: the extended subsidiary clause is a significant challenge to the comprehensible spoken narrative. ->
- RT @westyreflector: Riding the F-train with Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II by @disquiet http://t.co/V5sIxqE9Ua ->
- Tuesday noon siren rang out while we were filming a brief (er, well, maybe 20-minute) video for the 33 1/3 Aphex Twin book. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #10 (“Tree”) http://t.co/qhWHkz1aYs ->
- Thanks to @npseaver + @westyreflector for their photos of my Selected Ambient Works V2 book: http://t.co/qhWHkz1aYs. ->
- Image reportedly of Brian Eno + projected talk notes upon realizing he's running late: http://t.co/7qjxMo09nD. Info: http://t.co/aowPK0RJZY. ->
- Today in sound class, a brief history of listening: celebrity death, oral culture, memory, synesthesia, sonification. ->
- Reading my students' first sound journal entries. Some exemplary work in there, and just imagine where they'll be in 15 weeks. ->
- ScopeCreap dot com is not yet registered. #justsayin ->
- The sound of elevator floor bells one or two floors down. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #9 (“Weathered Stone”) http://t.co/tZkosphPY4 ->
- Today's Selected Ambient Works V2 proof-of-book-life photo apparently features food from Burma Superstar http://t.co/tZkosphPY4 ->
- Not one student in my course has seen The Conversation before. I'm looking forward to next week. ->
- Yes, tomorrow's @djunto project will be about that old cut up, William S. Burroughs. ->
- RIP, William "Bunny Rugs" Clarke (b. 1948). As I recall, "1865 (96Â° in the Shade)" was one of the first reggae songs I ever heard. ->
- If there were an Emmy for best use of photos in a recap it would go to Esther Inglis-Arkell of @io9 for this: http://t.co/nj4Ro6VOpA #arrow ->
- We skipped the Gordon Hempton documentary this semester. Thinking again about swapping in Diva and swapping out Playtime. ->
- radio unshack RT @otolythe: unshackleton RT @everyword: unshackled in reply to otolythe ->
- Sound of library study room's electricity turning off because my typing style isn't histrionic enough to confirm a human is in the room. ->
- Sound of the person in adjacent library study room aggressively writing on a blackboard. ->
- Palatino was ubiquitous. Now it isn't. The word isn't even in my phone's autocorrect. What happened to Palatino? ->
- Irony of prepping for literary cut-up chaos: the anal-retentive orderliness of the step-by-step cut-up-process instructions. #wsb100 ->
- Making cut-up music to celebrate William S. Burroughs' 100th birthday: http://t.co/wx5cREWVmj. Do join in. ->
- 3 3 3 3 14 10 5 7 3 3 3 3 8 18 11 4 3 3 3 3 6 17 12 9 15 15 15 15 3 3 3 3 13 2 16 1 3 3 3 3 ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #8 (“Blur”) http://t.co/BKCTEKUsLA ->
- I'm always late with holiday cards, but my Aphex Twin 33 1/3 book, due out the day before Valentine's Day, is certainly a love letter. ->
- Reading at Powell's in Portland for my Aphex Twin book has been set for May. Details to follow. ->
- I hope nothing important happens before the Sochi Olympics are over, because I've turned off my New York Times news alerts. ->
- RT @dpnem: Listening to Aphex Twin. Thanks Obama. No, it’s really @disquiet’s fault. ->
- Today lots of two-year-old San Franciscans get to learn about this "rain" stuff their parents have been talking about for the past year. ->
- When I'm done with this project I am going for a walk even if it requires scuba gear. ->
- By the way, I have a 3.5-year-old, not a 2-year-old, who knows about rain and can sense the existence of puddles around corners. #mutie ->
- Harps, hushed voices, electronix. All I've listened to all day is the Brumes feed: https://t.co/VKzS157wBI. When it ends I start all over. ->
- Irony of songs of cutup new articles is if you don't know the language you don't get the chaos. Still, a good start: https://t.co/RG5yL7CI2z ->
- I want to watch the Redshirts TV show. But I really just wanna read a book about the authority figures we only get glimpses of. ->
- "It's around the second hour of listening that I come to recognize …" ->
- My visual diet: Lotsa slow-reveal images of Aphex SAW2 cover (courtesy of @boondesign) + William S. Burroughs. http://t.co/6nqXaaQwix ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #7 (“Curtains”) http://t.co/clyzXLJKn7 ->
- Today's Aphex Twin SAW2 entry includes original track ("Curtains"), reversed, and appearance in a Chris Morris skit: http://t.co/clyzXLJKn7 ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments