- Today's Aphex Twin SAW2 track has a beat made from a vocal—this on an album often described as beatless + vocal free: http://t.co/68YCLqYgCB ->
- Duet for rain drops and distant siren. ->
- rainy day -> Augustus Pablo ->
- RT @touchmusic: Android version of Touch app now available here – http://t.co/JSH4ZNePsc ->
- 5 days, 5 tracks to go in Aphex Twin SAW2 countdown. Today, the Fourth World rhythmic aura of "Grass": http://t.co/78QEseDbae ->
- still raining -> Augustus Pablo -> Dub Narcotic Sound System ->
- Man, it's been 5 years since this incredible graphic-notation score exhibit at New Langton in San Francisco: http://t.co/jVvOLy248Y ->
- It's fun looking back 5/10/15 years each week. Love this quote from Greg Egan's Schild's Ladder: http://t.co/25uQ3VYJDI ->
- I'd pretty much go back to Japan for any reason, but this exhibit looks especially interesting: http://t.co/Rjx0zt8bUv ->
- Anxiety: hitting unfamiliar command-key combination by accident, seeing no resulting action, wondering what you've quite possibly unleashed. ->
- First of 5 posts I wrote for the 33 1/3 blog: RT @333books: Aphex Twin Week: The Aphex Twin Book I Did(n't) Write http://t.co/Vw20DZCXO7 ->
- Got Phil Kline in my head 'cause I'm walking past streets I only walk down during Unsilent Night. ->
- Every February 10 I am reminded it is the birthday of both Carl Stone and Robert Henke. ->
- You must! RT @robert_henke: @disquiet we ( Carl and I ) decided that some day we need to do a performance together on that day .-) ->
- Forgive my book-release enthusiasms, but evidence of my Aphex Twin @333books in a library: http://t.co/Fgm2Eu9kcO. Thanks, @AmbientRushton. ->
- 4 days left of the Aphex Twin SAW2 countdown. Today's track is one of the two rarities, "Hankie": http://t.co/UjKqvuKyAJ ->
- RIP Paul Ash, president of Sam Ash Music: http://t.co/lWQr44XX2b. And just a day after this Onion story: http://t.co/bAAruIY9xM ->
- This week's class discussion of The Conversation will be more focused on character than in past semesters, which were more on technology. ->
- Prominent mention of the @djunto (and wind chimes!) in my guest Aphex Twin post today at the @333books blog: http://t.co/HjEhdYe8Z0 ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FPYND6scRB ->
- Tuesday noon siren, just one voice among many in packed Financial District tapas restaurant. ->
- Recognition that things make more sense when you say "art market" in place of "art world." ->
- RT @stringbot: Staged tableau for @disquiet http://t.co/KZV0PPU1J3 ->
- Reading my students' notes on The Conversation, which none of them had seen before. Very much looking forward to tomorrow's sound class. ->
- This app was not installed on your next-to-most-recent-generation iPod Touch because Android isn't the only OS with fragmentation issues. ->
- Today's Aphex Twin @333books countdown is track #3 "Rhubarb"; 4 versions: original, reversed, acoustic guitar, remix: http://t.co/q6Y5wG00r5 ->
- On Feb 19 I'm talking @ccrma (@stanford): Two Decades of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II: http://t.co/gFaMMASnkg in reply to ccrma ->
- The URL gracenoises dot com is available. #justsayin ->
- RT @freemusicarchiv: Rick Prelinger and The Internet Archive Offer These Public Domain Films for Free Downloading and Reuse: https://t.co/C”¦ ->
- RT @newbsradio: New episode is up! #NapoleonDynamite With author Marc Weidenbaum and @jongries! http://t.co/Oi3LZ1dvX7 @333books @AnotherMa”¦ ->
- Thanks to @newbsradio for including me on their podcast. Tune in around 1:11:00 for our yap about my @333books book: http://t.co/7liIDqAmd8 ->
- “You have a certain way of opening the door. First, the key goes in real quiet, and then the doors come open real fast." #theconversation ->
- Cliff Martinez's score to Severe Clear has been added to Rdio. ->
- Today in sound class: how Hollywood shapes narrative use of audio; emphasis on The Conversation, Southland, score-as-laugh-track. ->
- For the @333books site: "cultural afterlife is a form of change": How 20 years of listening alter how SAW2 sounds: http://t.co/qxDOHjyTWa ->
- There's exactly one song attributed to Throbbing Gristle on Rdio, from a Cleopatra Records compilation. ->
- YouTube ads are annoying but there's something Ballardian about a Scrubbing Bubbles ad before Throbbing Gristle's 20 Jazz Funk Greats. ->
- Penultimate reverse-countdown Aphex Twin SAW2 track, which is to say: #2 ("Radiator"): http://t.co/ssJUKSalFW ->
- RIP, Maggie Estep (50), slam poetry and Nuyorican Poets Cafe figure: http://t.co/wLILdnmzqq ->
- The Merzbow Incident #noisemovies ->
- Full Metal Machine Music Jacket #noisemovies ->
- The Grey Wolves of Wall Street #noisemovies ->
- File under #meta: @boondesign gridized cover + @ambientrushton library copy in top search results for Selected Ambient Works Volume II cover ->
- Oh, and my Aphex Twin book (33 1/3) on Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 is officially out today. Not that I've been shy about this information. ->
- The full first chapter (including egregious single-letter, but quite important, typo) is up for free on Google Books: http://t.co/Vtrrc6SrG1 ->
- I considered misspelling "egregious" in that earlier tweet. ->
- 2012 was a big year for me: started Junto, created my sound course, did sound design with Taylor Deupree on a film, pitched the Aphex book. ->
- It's been days, but still all I'm listening to is Brumes (from Portland): http://t.co/rQqSbvxefa. (Thanks @ooray for the recommendation.) ->
- Today's Disquiet Junto will be a netlabel Creative Commons (adapt, share-alike) remix project. Been quite awhile since we did one. ->
- Very glad people find the Gracenote material in the Aphex book interesting: how hive-mind database mediates culture. ->
- Maybe just maybe it's time to drop the net-. Just be a label that happens to use Creative Commons. Maybe. ->
- 111th weekly Disquiet Junto project begins: http://t.co/mYWPmW31JM #netlabel #remix #creativecommons Inspired by @dpnem's Acts of Silence ->
- Just sent out the first http://t.co/A2xaR3KK3n email newsletter since November. I mean to do it monthly, even weekly. It's a start. ->
- RIP, Ralph Waite of The Waltons — had his character on NCIS passed away yet? ->
- RT @zeromoon: Let your fingers run through my hair with other strangers http://t.co/sppxybtMNM thx @ActSlnc #SoundCloud #remix ->
- Happy birthday, Edith Eisler. We miss you. ->
- Happy 50th birthday, Nonesuch. Perhaps my first #recordlabelcrush. ->
- 3 Feet High and Rising, 152 Megabytes Large and Downloading: http://t.co/gQIhccvvr5 ->
- Hey, my Aphex Twin book is for sale in Germany (albeit in English): http://t.co/Y0PO719s2q ->
- You're a pop-music journalist looking for fresh angle on Drake v. PSH? Please see p. 56 of my @333books Aphex Twin book (RDJ v. Cobain). ->
- Gist of the RDJ/Cobain story: reportedly RDJ was to be on cover of major music mag, nixed by Cobain's death, and RDJ was "weirdly" relieved. ->
- That's German for "collapsing new zombie hybrid soulmates." ->
- Redoing that #noisemovies tweet 'cause I messed it up. ->
- The Bride of Frankensteinstürzende Neubauten #noisemovies ->
- #starshiptroopers ->
- Previous tweet because I notice some people get vein-popping livid at mention of either Starship Troopers or hashtags. #starshiptroopers ->
- If I make a Venn diagram of people who get mad at Starship Troopers or hashtags, do I add a circle for people who get mad at Venn diagrams? ->
- My last day as @333books guest blogger: me writing about the Aphex Twin release I love second after SAW2, "Ventolin": http://t.co/IsWw8hBvM7 ->
- Richard D. James has more pseudonyms than Jason Bourne and Fernando Pessoa combined. ->
- I feel like Ventolin is Aphex Twin's Live at Leeds, after the extravagant (Tommy-ish?) Selected Ambient Works Volume II. ->
- RT @stringbot: @valhalladsp @disquiet @333books Ventolin EP is all killer no filler ->
- I use the "All My Files" sort in OS X Finder far more than I had expected to, specifically sorted by "Date Last Opened." ->
- Preview and Mail stall so often in Mavericks. #magic ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
• 0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
• 0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.