Bring Out Your Blogs

The 20th anniversary of a habit worth renewing

Social media can be a good place if you tweet the Twitter you want it to be and work to ignore the rest. However, if there is something you really dig, I strongly encourage you to start a blog.

The year 2019 is, according to Merriam-Webster, among other sources that track such things, the 20th anniversary of the origin of the word “blog.” Anniversaries are welcome opportunities to renew vows, to rejuvenate traditions, and to build on foundations.

My website, Disquiet.com, began in December 1996, a few years prior to the arrival of the word “blog,” so it’s grandfathered in. (Prior to that I had, for a couple years, pages posted via FTP to a URL provided by my first ISP, mostly links to online comics and music resources.) I was resistant to the word “blog” at first, and while I still don’t employ it often, in spirit and practice I treasure it.

Technologies, like hemlines, go up and down. It was all about the web, then AOL, then “push,” then Web 2.0, then email was “dead.” Then came social media, then Slacks. Along the way newsletters popped back up, almost as if they were a new thing (my first one, which I founded while an editor at Tower Records, ran for a decade, beginning in 1994), and the podcast has had a second, robust economic and cultural life. Throughout, blogs just worked, even if they’ve seen better days. Self-publishing is at the heart of the healthy internet. It’s truly self-publishing when the URL and the means of production are your own. Celebrate the 20th anniversary of the word “blog” by thinking of something important to you and then blogging regularly about it.

It’s a common subject of conversation: “What music websites do you read?” The (sad) fact is, most music-coverage sites are burdened with literary equivalents of spam: hot takes and me-first news links, the sole “context” being maximizing eyeballs. (True of many subjects, not just music.) Algorithms existed before computers. Editors, writers, and publishers had a deep sense of what people wanted to read before social media and cookie analysis provided a digital window on our souls. It’s different today, but also no different. When I write about Autechre or Radiohead or Björk, I get way more communication/readers, even if the underlying topics (ideas, culture, technology) are widely applicable. It can be frustrating, but it’s also human. (We’re stuck with each other, so let’s make the most of it.)

But if big-league topics bring readers, they don’t necessarily bring better readers. When you blog you make decisions about what you’re writing. I believe that “why” should precede “what.” I believe that exploring ideas is a good reason to blog. Also sharing experience and asking questions.

The majority of what I read online is musicians, critics, coders, and others’ own sites, such as Ethan Hein’s ethanhein.com, Jason Richardson’s showcasejase.blogspot.com, Alex Ross’ therestisnoise.com, Westy Reflector’s westyreflector.net, aboombong’s penmallet.blogspot.com, Jessica Duchen’s jessicamusic.blogspot.com, Tim Rutherford-Johnson’s johnsonsrambler.wordpress.com, Robin Rimbaud’s scannerdot.com, Kira Grunenberg’s throwthediceandplaynice.com, Darwin Grosse’s alllthingsmodular.com, Richard Brewster’s pugix.com, and Simon Reynolds’ blissout.blogspot.com. There are tons more where these came from. But there used to be even more. Then came social media.

If this year marks the 20th anniversary of the word blog, next month marks the sixth anniversary of Google killing off Google Reader, despite it having been the most-used RSS tool. Around the time I read several tweets conspiratorially tracing the decline of the internet as a safe place for self-expression to that turning point, Reynolds penned a mea culpa about the lost act of “inter-blog conviviality,” as subsequently mentioned by Warren Ellis in his excellent weekly newsletter. I thought, in turn, about why I link less to other blogs than I used to, and I recognized it’s in part because there are fewer other blogs, leading to me being reminded it’s 20 years since the birth of the word blog, if not of the act. In any case, thanks to all them for the brain nudge and habit nudge.

My current RSS reader is packed with long-dormant links. Some return as zombies, filled with weird spam about eyelash extensions and carburetor parts. Some come back reborn. I’d love to see more old sites come back, and for new ones to establish meaningful presences.

Some of those above sites are professionals letting off steam and/or self-promoting. At their best, which can be very great indeed, they provide intimacy and insight. Other sites are of a smaller scale, but the intimacy and insight aren’t diminished. This paean to blogging doesn’t just apply to music. If you garden, blog it (please). If you have a pet monkey, blog it. If you are the repository of some dwindling or otherwise threatened culture, blog it. If you harbor considered thoughts about your profession, blog it. I think back to blogs I’ve encouraged friends and colleagues to start over the years: on gardening, relocations, engineering, arcane research topics. Few started, let alone continued, but I think it isn’t a coincidence that “gardening” is the one that I come back to. As Iago says in “Othello,” in a different context, “our wills are gardeners.” Blogs are gardens of ideas. (I mention gardens a lot when I talk about blogs. It’s because gardening is a key metaphor in generative music and my blog activism is a stealth campaign for generative music. Just kidding. Kinda. It’s mostly because it’s a useful metaphor for blogs, and I have a garden.)

I’m sure if we did wayback sleuthing we’d find lots of conference presentations in a range of professions and pursuits on how “blogging” isn’t a good use of time because of pageviews, or clicks, or SEO, or engagement, etc. Pay no attention to the man behind the podium. Just share what’s of importance to you. And don’t look at pageviews. Don’t seek claps. Don’t chase reposts. Don’t covet trackbacks. Seek the unique pleasure of having shared something you feel is worth sharing. And the conversations that sort of writing (that sort of blogging) encourages. And yes, it can take time. Good things generally do.

And don’t concern yourself with whether or not you “write.” Don’t leave writing to writers. Don’t delegate your area of interest and knowledge to people with stronger rhetorical resources. You’ll find your voice as you make your way. There is, however, one thing to learn from writers that non-writers don’t always understand. Most writers don’t write to express what they think. They write to figure out what they think. Writing is a process of discovery. Blogging is an essential tool toward meditating over an extended period of time on a subject you consider to be important.

In any case, part of blogging is knowing when you’re done with a post. I’ll begin to end by repeating something: 2019 is the 20th anniversary of the word “blog.” If you sense something went wrong with the internet along the way, you might ask yourself if that happened around the time blogging began to decline. It’s time to build back up the self-published web. Thanks for reading. And even more thanks for starting a blog. When you do, let me know.

This post originated as a thread I wrote at twitter.com/disquiet on June 13, 2019, between plays at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon.

Tags: , / Comments: 17 ]

1. icastico
    [ Posted June 17, 2019, at 1:47 pm ]

Wise thoughts.

It is an under-appreciated format. After 10 years, it is still the easiest way for me to share/promote music and has resulted in something on the order of 100,000 downloads of my music. While interest seems to have wained a bit recently, so far as I can tell, twitter and facebook have had almost no positive impact on engagement with my music.

• Marc Weidenbaum
      [ Posted June 17, 2019, at 3:37 pm ]

Thanks so much. I do think, like most worthwhile things, it’s primarily about engaging for one’s own sake, and being in it for the long haul.

2. COD
    [ Posted June 17, 2019, at 2:28 pm ]

It’s only been six years since Reader was killed? I would have guessed 10+ on that.

And I’ve been doing this as long as you. Launched my website on 12/31/95 – got my domain in 98, and have been writing there ever since. I’m with you on the indie web.

• Marc Weidenbaum
      [ Posted June 17, 2019, at 3:37 pm ]

Nice! That is super. Keep it running!

3. Shirley Dawson
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 5:21 am ]

Formerly an art dealer then a newspaper art writer, I found myself out of a job in 2000s. I began blogging (rochesterartreview.blogspot.com) in 2008. (Def: blog…shortened from web log) In 2018, I read Ursula LeGuin’s last book “No Time to Waste” – a 10 year edited version of her blog and thought “me too! I can do this!) So I did…on 10th anniversary, I self-published “Art Talk…and other conversations.” I urge people to write…anything…any way possible. Words define my world…me in it…events I want to mark…for good or bad!

4. David
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 7:04 am ]

Just started back up with a daily blog habit. Still clearing out the cobwebs, finding new ideas, getting into the flow.

I’m all for it. I wish more people would throw what they were thinking out into the world.

5. Joel
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 7:35 am ]

Blogs provide a wonderfully unfiltered medium of expression, where creators can connect directly with their audience, without the middle men. Any day I stumble across a new, interesting one is good day :)

6. Toni Antonetti
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 12:37 pm ]

Well said. How refreshing to read a post in support of blogging without worrying about SEO, claps, likes, comments, etc.

7. Enrique
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 4:49 pm ]

I sure miss the “blogging golden age”, when all kinds of people with all kinds of interests were posting all the time. You could spend ages jumping around from link to link, finding new blogs, new people, new perspectives…

Here in Brazil there was some kind of “newsletter renaissance” last year or so, with lots of people using newsletters just like blogs, writing about all kinds of stuff they like and trying to connect to their audience without facebook’s algorithm meddling. (God, it’s been years since I’ve made a comment in a blog…anyway, nice post!)

8. Emily
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 5:39 pm ]

I find visiting an abandoned blog brings a certain lonely feeling, and mine is one of the many that have faded away. But I think I’ll start making time for it again. (And I definitely won’t acknowledge how long I’ve been away, or how much I look forward to writing again, because that is almost always the last post on a defunct blog, isn’t it?)

Thanks for the encouragement.

9. Alex Hallatt
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 10:23 pm ]

Thank you. It distresses me that people are letting algorithms curate the content they view. Blogs like kottke.org do it so much better. I blog, but no one reads it, but I keep a diary and no one reads that. It makes you freer to write what you feel, whether you are up or down. And there’s no way in hell I’m doing that on Facebook.

10. Neera Mahajan
    [ Posted June 21, 2019, at 10:47 pm ]

Thankyou for giving words to what I have been thinking all along. Relatively new to blogging, I am using the format to learn the craft of writing and to find my voice. Crowded by enthusiastic entrepreneurs trying to make living out of blogging, its true value is having a platform all to yourself whether it is for self-development or to effectively use your voice to make a change. I bless technology for giving real power to common people.

11. Marta
    [ Posted June 23, 2019, at 11:44 am ]

I’ve continued to blog, but my posts are sporadic because I’ve felt discouraged about it. Thanks for this encouragement and understanding. Glad I happened by (thanks to Austin Kleon).

12. Mim
    [ Posted June 24, 2019, at 6:54 am ]

This is a very helpful post coming at the right time for me. Thank you.

13. Entrümpelung Berlin
    [ Posted September 9, 2019, at 5:40 am ]

14. Nathan Richards
    [ Posted January 7, 2020, at 4:10 am ]

Great Post !

One Trackback

• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
    • January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.

• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
    • March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
    • December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
    • January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
    • December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
    • There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
    • A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)

• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
    0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
    0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
    0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
    0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.

• Full Index
    And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.