William Gibson once noted that the future is already here, but just isn’t evenly distributed yet. William Faulkner noted, further back, that the past isn’t dead; it isn’t even past. On the web, what’s past isn’t necessarily readily accessible, but when it is, broad distribution happens quickly. The Internet is filling up with documentation of times gone by, case in point a pair of deeply trippy Tangerine Dream concert recordings from 1976. Reportedly recorded on February 9 of that year, the two MP3s showcase the group when it was a keyboard trio of Edgar Froese, Christopher Franke, and Peter Baumann. If you tend to avoid Tangerine Dream, do understand that there is here none of the turbo-charged momentum or florid exhibitionism that led to the pervasive negative associations with the group’s name, virtually making it a synonym for everything wrong with synthesized pop music. No, this is heady stuff, rarely grounded in any sort of melody — it’s all free-flowing, an analog-synth stream of consciousness. [Update June 20, 2009: There had been a link here to the Zip files, which were hosted elsewhere, but I received what appeared to be an email from Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream (an attempt to reply got an error message) that appeared to be asking me to delete the link, so I’ve done so.] By coincidence, the concert was recorded in Brussels, as was the live Amon Tobin show posted last week here (disquiet.com). (Found via justanothergarden.blogspot.com, via synthtopia.com.)
5 Most Recent Comments
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
Jason Richardson: "Thanks for all the ideas and the wonderful community you’ve created. "
Patrick: "Hi Marc, I was looking at the RR-830, did you get the loops to play nonstop on it? Or did you find..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0367 / Trio Initiate / The Assignment: Record the first third of an eventual trio.
• 0366 / Ice Breaker / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0365 / 2018 Tracker / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0364 / Casting Drones / The Assignment: Use dice to determine your slowly shifting tones.
• 0363 / Gymnopédie Rats / The Assignment: Make over Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No. 1" in your chosen genre.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice