- No China Mieville in the book stores at Heathrow, so I picked up a co-authored novel by Guillermo del Toro instead. #
- Says something about the challenge to DJ Hero (the turntable’s Guitar Hero) that publicity focuses largely, still, more on rappers than DJs. #
- Morning sounds in London: hotel building settling, neighboring HVAC whirling, alien cellphone ringtone chirping through door to hallway. #
- Great four-act show at Fleapit in London — excellent way to end week in London. Thanks to @sideb0ard & @douglasbenford for hanging. #
- London agenda: Berg’s Lulu at Royal Opera tonight, Boduf Songs et al. at Fleapit tomorrow, Martin Ware’s SoundLife in Leicester Sq … #
- Morning sounds in Birmingham (UK): hotel HVAC, distant rumble (presumably traffic), (healthy) laptop fan. #
- In Birmingham (not the one where they love the governor) for 36 hours or so. #
- Troubling changes @ emusic: major price hike, change in pre-set contracts, http://bit.ly/so9pf http://bit.ly/1548iO (RT @Billforman et al.) #
- Morning sounds in London: hotel’s vague attempt at air conditioning, cars racing down Kensington High Street eight floors down. #
- Buying tickets at roh.org.uk/myroyaloperahouse with @defjaf. There are over 140 titles when you register: Mr, Ms, Duke, Earl, Queen, etc. #
- Landed in London! T-Mobile will soon make my G1 work here. Had chicken-tandori newsagent sandwich. Reading Time Out. Food later with @defjaf #
- Morning sounds: ice pops in coffee, cars pass, kid next door stumbles around, milk bubbles amid corn flakes. Older computer, smoother fan. #
- Twitter rocks. I mention Burmese restaurants. Now I’m “followed” by one a few blocks from work. I’m going, soon as I’m back from London… #
- Video of John Cage’s 4’33, performed on a Nintendo DS running the DS-10 cartridge: http://is.gd/KiGc #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice