- The Tone LÅc/Dust Bros”“sampling, MC 900 Ft. Jesus”“style monotone rap from recent True Blood: http://is.gd/1Dm8B I desire the instrumental. #
- Screen/keyboard-sharing: Synergy 1.3.1 glitchy on Vista64. Win2VNC complicated for my brain. Input Director FTW: runs but copy/paste limited #
- Afternoon sounds: plane overhead, squeaky wheels against wood floors, distant street noise, talking below, typing, paper shuffling. #
- Got a new notebook. Wondering what the first thing is that will begin to fill it — beyond from today's date. #
- Didn't realize iPod Touch software update, to v. 3.0 of its OS, would take half an hour to install. Wasn't completed before my bus commute. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: label @ghostlyint & musician @fieldswn (aka William Fields) & musician @jimmybehan (aka Jimmy Behan) #
- RIP, photographer Julius Shulman (b. 1910), friend to modernism. http://is.gd/1CdnE http://is.gd/1CcAi RT compactrobot #
- Just experienced my first "1 person liked this" in Google Reader. Feels invasive, yet useful. Benjamin Franklin spins in his grave. #
- Testing/digging new iPhone/Touch @ghostlyint app. It streams the label's catalog by mood, tempo & digital-ness. Due out next week, for free. #
- "Inside the shack a white plastic portable radio was trying to play the big beat; it sounded like a grasshopper fight." The Rare Coin Score #
- Afternoon sounds: fans in window, internal HVAC on high, fans overhead, coughing, typing, footsteps. … Portrait of San Francisco at 70Â°F. #
- Mid-morning sounds: percussive typing from various computers; melody of someone dialing while on speaker phone. Instant instrumental pop. #
- Man, Walter Murch works his foley off on Coppola's Tetro. It's garish, but also a sound feast: bugs, glaciers heartbeats, traffic, opera … #
- DJ @rhawtin is live-twittering his set again, from Budapest. Join the @rhawtin Drinking Game: guess a track. … My money's on Alva Noto. #
- Sunday afternoon sounds: not insignificant wind; buses/cars; laundry; other chore-noise; & poppy glitchy new album Middlemarch by @hecanjog #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0465 / You Thank / The Assignment: Make a piece of music for someone or something for which you feel thankful.
• 0464 / Blanket Song / The Assignment: Play over a song, and then remove the original.
• 0463 / Making the Gradient / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the concept of a gradient.
• 0462 / Vade in Pace / The Assignment: Write a short piece of music that gets slower and slower as it proceeds.
• 0461 / Goldilocks Zone / The Assignment: Navigate a sonic space between the hospitable and the inhospitable.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 465 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments