- Morning sounds: general pie-making in the kitchen, footsteps next door, hard drives below desk, birds just outside window. #
- Unsilent Night dates have been announced. The San Francisco event is December 19. Details at http://unsilentnight.com/ #
- Typical San Francisco midweek concert conundrum: 2-hour group drone, visiting New York sound artists, or comp-music show at local college? #
- My Gristleism box is on its way — just got the UPS tracking notification. Can't wait to team it up with my Buddha Machines. #
- MP3 Discussion Group: Is Leyland Kirby's recent triple album too long, too dramatic, or the best break-up record ever? http://is.gd/4XB7f #
- Introducing the album upgrade. A recent favorite, Dr. No's Ethiopium, was initially 18 tracks; now it's suddenly 36: http://is.gd/4WKK2 #
- Best thing about Notepad++? It automatically highlights multiple instances, pointing out that you've said "subtle" six times in 300 words. #
- Nothing like an apple from your own yard. (That's meant literally, not metaphorically.) #
- The gym doesn't require noise-canceling headphones. The gym requires music that melds with the crisscross rhythms of the machinery. #
- The many churches in my neighborhood apparently don't just differ theologically. They also don't agree as to when, exactly, the hour occurs. #
- Once upon a time, it was Warp, Ninja Tune, Mo' Wax: the Blue Note, Prestige, Impulse of electronica. Mo is no longer. Ninja less essential. #
- Barber after my cut: "Man, you're just gonna put that bike helmet back on." #
- Gym music: Broken Note's recent Terminal Static album. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0479 / Truck Radio Rain / The Assignment: Locate three sound sources and make something with them.
• 0478 / Collage of Collages / The Assignment: Make a collage that will become part of a larger collage.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 479 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments