- Starting 15 days off in a row — reading, writing, exercising, socializing, and headed to L.A. for a spell: Mexican food & art galleries. #
- Weather forecast for Saturday night looks free of rain, perfect for Unsilent Night. Would it be wrong to bring along a Buddha Machine? #
- To follow up reacquainting myself with Son of Bazerk's 1991 debut album, now playing Basehead's 1991 debut album, 'Play with Toys' (Emigre). #
- Monolake's new album, Silence, is the subject of our latest MP3 Discussion Group: http://is.gd/5pqWO #
- Looks like Improvised Music from Japan 2009 (3 CDs) is shipping in a few days: http://is.gd/5oAYi #
- Wow — it was 13 years ago today (December 13) that I purchased the URL Disquiet.com, and shortly thereafter launched the site. #
- One of my fave records from college, Nicolas Collins' Devil's Music, now on CD with software that lets you emulate his live-sampling genius. #
- Updated iPhone app Trope by Brian Eno and Peter Chilvers reportedly includes "improved 'Listen Mode.'" Update hit two days ago, Dec. 10. #
- ♫ Saturday morning listening: a half-hour live improvisation by Lance Grabmiller: http://is.gd/5l8GR A slowly blossoming tone. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.