- Excited to see musical based on Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend tonight. Concerned it's not based on Robert Quine & Richard Lloyd's guitar parts. #
- Great news to wake to: the @rjdj "music hack day" is coming to San Francisco on May 15 & 16: http://is.gd/c07PK #
- Donor categories for Other Minds Fest: minimalist, impressionist, neo-classical, post-modernist, expressionist, electro-acoustic, maximalist #
- Just saw great Bill Cunningham doc, in which he describes how he was instructed to use the camera like a pen — phonographers take note. #
- Few things make me as happy as the Radio Shack spam emails telling you there's still time to get that perfect gift for Mom. #
- Thanks to @wammusic & @errrvolpe for write-up on Despite the Downstream ("alluringly open-ended and intriguing"): http://twurl.nl/vpkdv3 #
- I'm no audiophile but really good jazz on a really bad stereo can sound like really bad jazz, can sound like the opposite of the jazz it is. #
- On the bus, three people at once folding newspaper sections, a sound all the more nuanced because of its increasing scarcity. #
- Unfamiliar noise amid city traffic. Filter out cars, buses, people, bicycles. What's left? The busy-beaver buzz of a Segway along Valencia. #
- Photocopy machine doing its qawwali dirge again, no doubt mourning the dead tech that lines the street corners of SoMa here in San Francisco #
- BoingBoing picked up my Despite the Downturn found-score "answer album" compilation. Major congrats to the participants: http://is.gd/bVLCh #
- Four Barrel Coffee (SF) is hardcore: vinyl-only music (a barista said an occasional iPod gets plugged in), no wifi, & no electrical outlets. #
- Dang. Robotspeak on Haight Street is closing, to focus on education. Bought my USB audio and Kaoss Pad there, & took Ableton Live lessons. #
- 9th track (2nd post-launch) added to the Despite the Downturn "answer album," this one by Jettatura / @jamesrotondi http://is.gd/bTUtt #
- 1st post-launch track (and 8th total) added to Atlantic response album Despite the Downturn: http://is.gd/bTUtt by @my_fun #
- Pretty psyched. I commissioned 7 musicians to respond to Megan McArdle's recent Atlantic story about copyright & music: http://is.gd/bT9O8 #
- Charles Stross on Apple v. Adobe: First year Apple's WWDC awards only open to iPhone/iPad apps. "Mac apps need not apply" http://is.gd/bT3My #
- Odd sensation: uploading something to @internetarchive / archive.org, knowing its offices are less than 20 blocks away. #
- â™« Noon tune: Background music by Andreas Bick for radio play based on work by Roland Barthes, all ambient guitar texture: http://is.gd/bSuZn #
- Morning sounds: garbage truck, hard drive, distant cars, nearby bus. #
- Listening to music while reading ebook on Kindle-for-PC. Needed to get up. Had urge to pause not only the music but the book. #
- Love the Internet: 7 days in, have 7 completed tracks from 7 acts for sonic-activism compilation. More to follow. Should debut in 24 hours. #
- Auction for @resonancefm: Marclay slipmaps, Bailey poster, C. Palestine toy, Umeda Rice Cannon, Papadimitriou walk, more: http://j.mp/9wLjVP #
- Pretty neat: Last night dreamt I talked with Chuck Berry for long time. Little less neat: Was the Mos Def Chuck Berry from Cadillac Records. #
- Such an odd societal consensus that things in ALL CAPS "sound" loud. Even A TINY PIN DROP or MERE FILAMENT OF WHITE NOISE seem ear-damaging. #
- I don't prefer to type in green-on-black in fixed-width font 'cause it's retro. It's 'cause it's the environment in which I learned to write #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice