- "@dizzybanjo: I asked in the Tate shop if they had anything on Susan Philipsz. 'Susan Who? Oh … No'" #
- That sense that somewhere at this very moment David Shields is painstakingly constructing a novel entirely from other people's tweets. #
- Good @inceptiontheapp chat: "I'm not sure under what circumstances you would use this" vs "pretty amazing piece of work": http://is.gd/iwm4A #
- Who fancy is in SF? Champagne SUV just headed toward ocean guided by dozen-plus motorcycle police. #
- "He lived in his head. Doesn't everyone? The difference is that he knew it." Richard Hell on Jim Carroll via @nytimes: http://j.mp/hKoJ1s #
- Autocorrect in iOS just turned "Richard Hell" into "Richard He'll." #
- The Organic Reactive Audio Filter: my infant, snoring on my shoulder, occasionally alters breathing due to external noise (bus, dishes). #
- Wrote twice in two days about things Yes-related: Bad Plus (covered "Runaround"), Hans Zimmer (in video for Buggles song with Horn/Downes). #
- RT @BoingBoing: Music Apps Killed the MP3 Star http://bit.ly/hWDyI6 [In which I extoll the reactive-sound virtues of the Inception app.] #
- RIP, saxophonist James Moody (b. 1925) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/arts/music/11moody.html via @rlainhart #
- Funny to see head of @mystified131 appear multiple times along the bottom of the waveform of this track by @hiddenplace http://is.gd/itIiD #
- 76,126 people now like Cage Against the Machine on Facebook. Of my 508 Facebook friends, only 11 like it. C'mon people! http://is.gd/itbbL #
- Bookies give 8-1 odds that John Cage's 4'33" wins the Christmas No 1 spot: http://is.gd/it8CB #cageagainstthemachine #
- On Goodreads accidentally clicked "Forgive Ourselves, Totally: Begin Again by Breaking Free from Past Mistakes" but meant the John Cage bio. #
- Will Robert Fripp make as much off the new Kanye as Nick Lowe made from the Bodyguard soundtrack? #
- In the 4chan movie, the @smithsonian-nixed Wojnarowicz video would be playing on all government-installed televisions/monitors right now. #
- [email protected] Yeah, my biggest Win 7 issue is getting some Steam games, like Chimes, to play on my Netbook. Other netbook issue: Gimp. #
- Congrats @thicketapp @soundythingie @snibbe @hansolhuh @hypmag for Apple's recognition of "Generative Art & Sound" apps: http://is.gd/isOqy #
- Aleksei Saks of @umamusic reports: "Peter Chilvers using Bloom from his iPad on our Estonian tour. Enjoy to play with these sounds." #
- Fave (Win7) shareware of the moment: WinSplit, ResophNotes, Filezilla, Volumouse, Quintessential, Dark Room. #
- "@alexismadrigal: It's probably $100,000." And rewards Twitter, which folks might not dig. Still, about a dime for every tweet we've seen. #
- Wikileaks fails Twitter-trends algorithm. Wikileaks funding is cut off. Is there a pool to fund a "promoted" Wikileaks Twitter trend? #
- Oh, 4chan overlords, please don't slay me for neglecting to capitalize the L in Wikileaks. #
- For you WordPress(.org) users who check Twitter more than your Dashboard, there's a new security upgrade: http://is.gd/istmj #
- Brief interview I did with Bad Plus pianist. Love the electricity-free techno of title cut off its new album, Never Stop: http://is.gd/ismJx #
- Charles Stross' Accelerando prepared me for the Singularity — and for watching my infant grow. #
- “@eleventhvolume: choice for funeral song: Tango of Oblivion by Dino Saluzzi (solo bandoneon).”I think we own the same records. #
- True Deep After-Midnight Silence (Light Tinnitus Mix) #
- "@aworks: Einstein on the Beach in Berkeley. 2012!" That is great news. Thanks for the alert. Some details: http://is.gd/iqIKG #
- Trying to sort out when in Twitter to auto-retweet, when to RT, when to use quotation marks. Had been doing 2nd but am shifting to 3rd. #
- [email protected] Oh, a Bloom piece? I cannot wait to hear it! #
- Major thanks @saraivry @lenpsmall & everyone @tabletmag for the whole "Hanukkah, remixed" project! http://is.gd/hXa01 http://is.gd/i7DDz #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 8: “Yishama-O-Rama (Radiata Edit)”by Cut Loose (Wellington, NZ); original by Klezmer Rebs http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- "police believe Ronni Chasen was killed in a botched robbery." Terriers anyone? World has pulled flip on Law & Order. #headlinesrippedfromtv #
- This rain makes me wanna contact-mic my roof, but for the time being I'll just continue to record sounds with my pen (and keyboard). #
- This whole Wikileaks thing is moving from Transmetroplitan (gonzo journalism 3.0) to Fahrenheit 451 (media demonization of media defiance). #
- Early warnings: @eleventhvolume on Sleazy's accomplishment on Peter Gabriel's solo debut cover design http://is.gd/ip9Qp #
- The pulsing red background to the Inception app looks like if Mark Rothko had collaborated on Brion Gysin's Dreammachine. #
- Do we pay "longbox tax" when we cough up $1.99 for e-comics? Seems pricey, like paying for convenience of not having pile of pamphlets. #
- Anonymous 4 and 4chan should collaborate for some early hacker polyphony. #
- Just got wrong-number call asking for the IT director. That could have been fun. "See that plug, yeah, just pull it out." #
- Thanks for the interest in Roach/Freeman Immersion Station app. Congrats, @abre_ojos @HillfieldMuncky @Humean; I'll be in touch with codes. #
- Want free copy of Roach/Freeman app Immersion Station? Tweet me @disquiet. 3 random wins in 1 hour, sooner if 40 reply. http://is.gd/ioL9n #
- Have 3 copies of Steve Roach & Eric Freeman Immersion Station iOS app. Read up here http://immersionstation.com/ Contest starts on the hour. #
- [email protected]_Kadrey Sweet, a mellotron app. I love the Korg DS-10, and all these generative things popping up. #
- Motorcycles and Cars (Breathing of Infant Sleeping on Shoulder Mix) #
- Tomorrow I'll give away copies (i.e., freebie codes) of Steve Roach's iOS app, Immersion Station. First I need to figure best way to do it. #
- RT @robinrimbaud I'm just mastering [new Turner winner] Susan Philipsz's new vinyl release too so stay tuned for that very special edition. #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 7: “Hava Nagila”remixed by Roddy Schrock. Original by Paul Toshner & Felix Benasuly (poi43.com). http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Good conversation going on ramifications of app instruments (copyright, etc.) http://is.gd/in5yq I'll weigh in after I get Vietnamese food. #
- Thanks for the good wishes, regarding @boingboing, folks. More to come. Very excited for Susan Philipsz's Turner; great news for sound art. #
- [email protected] If you record with Bloom, I'd love to hear it. #
- RT @telstarlogistic celebrate Dark Matter Awareness Week http://bit.ly/fiLpNK [Oh that's why the 12/2 ep of Nikita was titled "Dark Matter"] #
- Words that 25 years ago I never dreamed I'd have the opportunity to type: Winners of Steve Reich remix contest announced: http://is.gd/imqRy #
- RT @xenijardin Yo, Marc Weidenbaum, Welcome to @boingboing guestblog http://tinyurl.com/3yxd4bb Turner sound art: http://tinyurl.com/36g5n3j #
- It's like if Eric Satie made industrial music today at home: baby's vibro-chair in living room, while washing machine rumbles in the rear. #
- Tuesday noon siren, followed by house-rattling bus. #
- Susan Philipsz, now the first sound artist to win Turner Prize: http://j.mp/hBdwHQ This is great. I was just glad she got shortlisted. #
- Distant Traffic (Creaking House and Hard Drive Mix) #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 6: “Chanukah Chag Yafe”remix by @ocp_pt_vu (JoÃ£o Ricardo), original by Alexandria Kleztet http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- These 100s of Wikileaks mirrors make me feel like I'm living in @warrenellis's Transmetropolitan or one of @doctorow's young-adult books. #
- Terriers has been canceled. I need to drown my sorrows in dim sum. #
- Rattly Cardboard Scavenger Truck (Soggy Night Mix) #
- Keith Rowe with Oren Ambarchi and Crys Cole, shot last night: http://is.gd/igLZZ As always, great performance photos from downtownmusic.net. #
- â™ª Listen(ing) to a drone minus the drone, by @vuzhmusic, who calls it "a map of the freckles on the skin of the drone": http://is.gd/igwIH #
- RT @osakimandias It's not rain I care for, it's the sound of the rain. And a day that is aurally good becomes subtly better in other ways. #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 5: New Klezmer Trio's “Thermoglyphics”remixed by @robotdancerobot aka @mrbiggsdotcom http://is.gd/hXa01 #cyborgfolk #
- Light Rain on Wood, Glass, Concrete, Tar, and Grass (Desktop Computer Hard Drive and Fan Mix) #
- You can criticize governmental bloodlust regarding Wikileaks without thinking the best diplomacy means naked diplomats in glass embassies. #
- Finished reading a book. It was cool, like a whole buncha tweets in a row (a lot, too many to count) someone had printed out and bound. #
- Noon Church Bells and Passing Aircraft (Closed Windows on Cold Day Mix) #
- Ownership of a ukulele presents a much greater threat to commercially recorded music than does filesharing. #
- No, your fingers are not numb. Those are calluses: ukulele calluses. The irony: finding strumming more challenging than the chord stuff. #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 4: Diego Bernal riffs on “Ose Shalom”by 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orch http://is.gd/hXa01 + 22tape's http://is.gd/i7DDz #
- It's a Lone Wolf and Cub kinda day. #
- Wikileaks: Chinese government "obsessed with…threat posed by…Internet to their grip on power." http://is.gd/icyf4 Sure it's only China? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments