- Never has a police siren sounded more like someone fiddling with the controls of their new synthesizer fresh out of the box. #
- "No texts were harmed in the making of this text." –Jonathan Lethem, from his book on John Carpenter's They Live. #
- Oh, Clone Wars is better than at least three of the Star Wars movies because it's actually a serial instead of being inspired by serials. #
- My new fave @soundcloud group, focused on music made from words: http://soundcloud.com/groups/word-music #soundpoetry #
- The fog horns are in heat. #
- â–º Afternoon audio stream: Mozart, chopped and screwed: http://j.mp/i0DLsF "Accursed Confounded" by Guy Birkin #
- The International Congress of Sound & Vibration http://j.mp/hchGms … Not a new record label, band, record pool, or club night. #
- "Durable contacts provide reliable connections with repeated mating cycles." Yes, I'm shopping in the USB-cable section. #
- RIP, Trish Keenan, singer with the group Broadcast: http://warp.net/records/broadcast/a-statement #
- Fog horns sound like an orchestra tuning up. #
- Rain-soaked copy of Fahrenheit 451 on sidewalk. #
- Murder at Geary & Polk. Such a mix of camera crews, bystanders, suited detectives and uniforms, I didn't know if it was real or a film set. #
- Good news: more sound than ever in museums. Unintended consequence: those sounds overlap. #
- Apparently photography isn't allowed in the @sfmoma exhibit Exposed, the subject of which is surveillance. (You can't make this stuff up.) #
- Apparently I had about 30 programs (excuse me, apps) running simultaneously on my iPod Touch. #oops #genius #
- Mobile audiostream review: Pandora (interesting), SoundCloud (very interesting), police scanners of the world (yowza). #
- RIP, composer Roland Kayn (b. 1933) via http://classicaldrone.blogspot.com/2011/01/roland-kayn-1933-2011.html #
- #nexusstestdrive Day 2/30: Virtual kboard not so bad. May learn to live with it. Ingenious: extended-hold numerals on top row. #
- The vaguely dubsteppy minimal techno that's creeping in my headphones is only improved by the occasional passing car. #
- I'm all for anti-trust laws, but I wouldn't mind all manufacturers of baby onesies agreeing on a single pattern of buttons. #
- Beautifully muted LED art, like an LED pinhole video camera: http://j.mp/fkKehc By Jim Campbell, currently at Hosfelt Gallery in Manhattan #
- Website looks like it's from 1997 but Walter Murch gets 2011 career award from Motion Picture Sound Editors http://mpse.org/ via @usoproject #
- Seriously, Android 2.3 still doesn't have Bluetooth keyboard support? #nexusstestdrive #
- Two vibrant seaquence.org tunes: @aaronkoblin's "pwnie" http://bit.ly/f7YGJ7 & @kristinhenry's "Triplet" http://bit.ly/hzbn6O (via @gaffta) #
- Ads for Google Nexus S appear in apps on my Nexus S. Surprised the Big G can't tell I own one: Sign of privacy, or diabolical cover story? #
- Is eating Alaskan lox part of this blood libel? #
- If I Had a Hammacher Schlemmer Catalog #middleclassprotestsongs #
- Talking Tofu Rice Bowl Blues #middleclassprotestsongs #
- This Land's End Catalog Is Your Land's End Catalog #middleclassprotestsongs #
- Help Save the Youth of American Apparel #middleclassprotestsongs #
- 911 Is a Sitcom Pilot #middleclassprotestsongs #
- Fortunate Sundae #middleclassprotestsongs #
- Day one (and first tweet) on Nexus S. The phone's keyboard nullifies contractions by requiring extra steps to accesd the apostrophe. #
- OK, gonna try a phone without a physical keyboard for a month. We'll see how this goes. (Nexus S.) #
- Tuesday noon siren, more science fiction than usual. #
- Got direct mail addressed to Disquiet.com HR department. Almost as fun as emails from near-graduates asking about internships. #
- NYTimes correction published 2 days after John Cage's initial 1992 obituary mis-characterized his music as "minimalist": http://j.mp/f8qnGZ #
- Rules of classical-music album covers: make women look as come-hither as possible, and men like spies, professors, or mad geniuses. #
- Some days the neighborhood church bells sound cozy. Others they sound like something out of Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. #
- And the netlabel world is classical, too: http://shskh.com/ [@gurdonark: Lucas Gonze's acoustics dispel notion "netlabel" is all electronic] #
- "Leave the instant packet behind" is to news coverage of ramen what "Bang! pow! Comics aren't just for kids" is to news coverage of comics. #
- Music those previous tags refer to is Dred, an EP of atmospheric beats by Jimmy Penguin: http://bit.ly/hfnb5F #
- Great tag sequence: ambient hip-hop electro electronic experimental electronica experimental hip hop skratch music Ireland (via @primusluta) #
- Lot easier drawing cool LP player than CD player. Harder still with sampler. But this insane J Dilla tribute does it up: http://j.mp/dXO0d8 #
- Late night reading, writing, & listening to music on noise-reducing headphones. As a result of which, I feel the bus pass but don't hear it. #
- Listening to Nam June Paik's "Hommage Ã John Cage" makes it even more difficult to listen to Girl Talk. #
- Best thing about phonography e-lists isn't siren-test alerts. It's geocoded siren-test follow-up posts: http://aporee.org/maps/?loc=9014 #
- Was Public Enemy's "By the Time I Get to Arizona" about surveyors? #
- Should I worry about surveyors who show up on our block? They say they're prepping for re-pavement. But maybe they're municipal terrorists. #
- Funny: iTunes segued from one album to the next, and I didn't know the second album was Cage Against the Machine until I heard applause. #
- Experienced Michael Brook/Clint Mansell mash-up when I went to see Black Swan and the score to The Fighter leaked in from adjacent theater. #
- Used to not be able to remember where I put a book. Now I can't remember which ereader I was reading it on. #
- Menlo Park, Calif., is 12 miles from Newark, Calif. Menlo Park, N.J., is 23 miles from Newark, N.J. #mundanefringe #
- Spam on posthumous blog: "like finding a flier for a dry cleaner stuck among flowers on a grave" http://is.gd/kqNpR (by @notrobwalker) #
- "@carlstone: Today's Palindrome: Noise lesion" [Was that the sequel to Miles Davis' Live-Evil?] #
- Is there no Blu-ray edition of Jean-Jacques Beineix's Diva? There should be a bootleg Blu-ray of Diva — that would be appropriate. #
- A pleasure of field-recording mailing lists: advance notice on things like Cologne siren tests. It's bird migration for headphonists. #
- Pondering cost/effectiveness of swapping out (Win 7) desktop hard drives for SSD ones. After computer-free two weeks, the whir is deafening. #
- Paper.li is neat, but it seems to frequently lose sight of the context in which original links appeared (citation, yes; context, no). #
5 Most Recent Comments
Michi: "I love the artwork. Great guitar picks "
Ian Joyce: "Beautiful as this is to listen to at home – her performance in person is totally absorbing. Her..."
Jens Alfke: "Has anyone made a mirror of this playlist on Apple Music? If not, maybe I will… (i know I can..."
Jason Richardson: "Nice. Reminds me of Barbara Bartos’ soundscape instrument, see https://vimeo.com/barbarab..."
Adrien Capozzi: "love the pic. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0341 / Sample Forensics / The Assignment: Place a fragmentary sample into a natural-seeming setting.
• 0340 / Porta Party / The Assignment: Record a piece of music entirely on the go.
• 0339 / Rude Mechanicals / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in this imaginary genre.
• 0338 / Imaginary Quartet / In collaboration with Naviar Haiku, make a four-person band from the provided four live solo.
• 0337 / Through-Composted / Create a piece of music that is through-composed, but built entirely from samples.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice